Sad News... Passing Away of Bob Kill, beloved Dad of forum member 'Oily'

oily

Dear All,

It is with great sadness, and deep regret that I feel I should inform you all that my dear Dad, 'Bob' Kill passed away in the early hours on 9th August, 2011. This was a terrible shock to my family and I, and we are all deeply upset.....

My mother, Joan Kill has lost her dear husband, and my brothers and sister have lost our very, very much-loved dad.

Although Dad was not a very 'active' member of our forum, he spent many an afternoon perusing the various posts, particularly those concerning Daimler Ferrets, ....which were his favourite vehicles when he was a serving soldier, back in the 1950's and early 60's.

Earlier this year, at Overlord Military Vehicle Show, Denmead, Dad was lucky enough to get an extremely unexpected chance to have what turned out to be his last-ever drive of a Ferret Scout Car, belonging to Rob Soar, -a very kind chap, and a very dear friend of mine.

Dad said to me "Do you think Rob will mind if I see if I can still get into a ferret?"

(for the record, Dad had 1/2 an artificial right leg....), and with not much problem, he was soon in the drivers seat!

Rob had, -unbeknown to Dad, overheard, and once Dad was in place, commented "Ok, soldier!, seeing as you are in my ferret, you can take it into the arena, for a spin!"

Dad's face was an absolute picture!... and couldn't believe his luck!.... and with me as his 'commander', we proceeded slowly through the showground, and Dad drove the ferret around the arena for 1/2 an hour or more.... happily reliving his youth, from when he drove them in Aden, whilst serving with the Aden Protectorate Levies, when he was in the 3rd The King's Own Hussars.

Skipping forward a few months, I look back at that day, and remember how happy Dad looked, grinning from ear to ear, as he peeped out through the drivers hatch of Rob's Ferret..... Thanks to Rob, a true soldier got one of his last wishes to come true....

And now, even though Dad has gone to his last posting with the Almighty God, he will forever be in our hearts and thoughts, and we will treasure our many happy memories of him for always...

Rest In Peace, Dad, all my love Matthew xxx:cry:

Should any members wish to attend, Bob Kill's funeral is at 1.00pm, on the 22nd August, 2011, at:

Wessex Vale Crematorium, Bubb Lane, West End, Southampton, Hampshire. SO30 2HL

Family Foral tributes only to Paul Capper Undertakers, Eastleigh.

Donations to Bob's favourite charities, would be greatfully recieved:

Ambulance Benevolent Fund

The Royal British Legion

Help for Heroes.

So sorry to hear that news. I didn't actually speak to your Dad at Overlord this year, although I was aware of the treat with the Ferret. I'm so glad that you pulled that off for him. I did have a long chat with your Mum, who as you know I have known longer than you! My condolences to you all & please mention me to your Mum.

Hi Mathew.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

My thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time.

I lost my father in 2007 and the thing I remember most are the happy memories.

Cherish the memory of your father driving the Ferret and everytime you think of him - you will see that smile.

Markheliops

Thank you to all members who have passed on your condolences to myself and my family. Very kind words from all of you.

Dad had a really fitting send-off, with some of his favourite military band music: 'Time To Say Goodbye', by the Band of H.M. Household Division - Beating The Retreat 2004, and 'The Evening Hymn and The Last Post', by the Band of H.M. Royal Marines Portsmouth...........

My Dad, a real trooper,:saluting:..... and an amazing father, I'm gonna miss you....x