Things I don't understand.

antarmike

1) "You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you" Carly Simon Dec 1972.

Sorry but surely the song is about him.....he therefore has good reason to be vain.

What was she thinking when she wrote this?

Edited by antarmike

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2) Honda's radio advert for their ATV. It talks about Ground compaction and the footprint of an ATV and goes on to say all ATV's aren't the same and wouldn't it be better if the footprint was "more like a Tiptoe"?

No, It wouldn't! Moving from standing on your sole, to tiptoes puts your weight onto a smaller area therefore ground pressure and compaction actually increase.....

Is this "the power of dreams"?, because that is the only place their kind of Physics could apply...

Edited by antarmike

The soap dispenser you don't have to touch. What does it matter if you are about to wash your hands??

And to get out of the toilets you have to open the door with the handle used by every dirty bu99er who hasn't washed at all.....

And to get out of the toilets you have to open the door with the handle used by every dirty bu99er who hasn't washed at all.....

Ah, not anymore! I was in a pub the other week which had a door handle which replaced a plastic cover itself after each use.

It was one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vpxDmNwSdU&feature=related

Why the evening weather forecast starts by telling you what the weather has done that day.

Surely not many of us are locked up in rooms without windows or have access to time travel machines and might choose to go back to enjoy a good day or catch a refreshing shower....

Why they tell you how many units of alcohol there is in a tin of Tenants Extra Strength...

Doesn't the name give enough of a clue, and if you are minded to buy it, are you really bothered if you exceed the recommended units per week?

If a computer mouse was called a mouse because its shape resembled a mouse and the wire was its tail, Why are Wireless mice still called mice, when there isn't a tailless variety of mouse in nature?

When they first came out, they used to be called Rats, because they were bigger than a mouse. Technology made them smaller.

Why can I think what to write for my latest essay at 3 o'clock in the morning but at 9pm when I come to sit down and do it I cant think of a bleeding thing to write? :mad:

Have sat here for 2 hours and typed up a load of carp on a subject I should know inside out!!!!

I was helping to clear a shed last week and found quite a large solid Brass ring spanner with Whitworth sizes. Question - who uses Brass ring spanners?

People working with inflammable substances, explosives etc. I reckon.

Ref: You're so Vain

Ah, but she didn't specify who 'he' was, so if anyone assumed it was about 'him' then 'he' WAS being vain - I think:confused:

John

But the are clues in the song

Two solar eclipses ("Then you flew your Learjet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun") were visible from Nova Scotia in the early 1970s, on March 7, 1970, and July 10, 1972.

The line "I hear you went up to Saratoga and your horse naturally won," refers to the Saratoga Race Course horse racing season held in late July, August, and early September in Saratoga Springs, New York. The season is frequented by the rich and famous of New York and other cities on the East Coast.

Whoever He was owned a Lear jet and was flying in it on one of only two possible date, and lived on the East coast of America. and owned a Saratoga winning race horse or at least you had backed a winner, depending on how you interpret "your horse won"... Can't be many people who fit the bill, so if you have a Lear jet and you saw the Eclipse, and your race horse won at Sratoga, then I think it is safe to say that you know the song is about you, therefore you do have the right to be vain......

Edited by antarmike

If a computer mouse was called a mouse because its shape resembled a mouse and the wire was its tail, Why are Wireless mice still called mice, when there isn't a tailless variety of mouse in nature?

There are tailess mice! I have one for Rosie though. Why on days when it is blowing half a hurricane, do women insist on wearing split front skirts? :???

But the are clues in the song

Two solar eclipses ("Then you flew your Learjet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun") were visible from Nova Scotia in the early 1970s, on March 7, 1970, and July 10, 1972.

The line "I hear you went up to Saratoga and your horse naturally won," refers to the Saratoga Race Course horse racing season held in late July, August, and early September in Saratoga Springs, New York. The season is frequented by the rich and famous of New York and other cities on the East Coast.

Whoever He was owned a Lear jet and was flying in it on one of only two possible date, and lived on the East coast of America. and owned a Saratoga winning race horse or at least you had backed a winner, depending on how you interpret "your horse won"... Can't be many people who fit the bill, so if you have a Lear jet and you saw the Eclipse, and your race horse won at Sratoga, then I think it is safe to say that you know the song is about you, therefore you do have the right to be vain......

apparently it was about warren beaty but that rumour has never been confirmed .:cool2:

I was helping to clear a shed last week and found quite a large solid Brass ring spanner with Whitworth sizes. Question - who uses Brass ring spanners?

they use them in the oil industry and gas terminals,stops sparks if dropped or hitting other objects

Bomb Disposal. Steel will set off an Electric fuse that reacts to steel/ iron.

Quite scarce actually!

Snap-On have an extensive range of Beryllium Copper tools in their current catalogue

or you can get from

http://www.ngkmetals.com/index.cfm/m/95/

http://www.safetytools.us/

http://mdmetric.com/ampcocat.htm

Ex military ones come up now and then in autojumble ....

Edited by antarmike