Things I don't understand.

antarmike

If the world's largest press is the South Gate, CA, which weighs 2,650 tons, stands more than 60-feet tall, is capable of generating 40,000 tons of pressure, they still reckon you can't fit a square peg in a round hole.....I would have thought at this tonnage it probably would go in.....

Edited by antarmike

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the world's largest press is the South Gate, CA, which weighs 2,650 tons, stands more than 60-feet tall, is capable of generating 40,000 tons of pressure, they still reckon you can't fit a round peg in a square hole.....I would have thought at this tonnage it probably would go in.....

I think the original quote was "you cant put a square peg in a round hole" This was in fact refering to the assembly of wooden post and beam pegged construction as used in houses and barns . Its actually a very sound and good construction method . It was easy to bore a round hole in a piece of wood and easy to carve a square peg . The result was a very tight and very strong assembly as the square shoulders of the peg would bite into the sides of the round hole and resist any motion to work its way loose while the wood might be used in a green state ,as as it dried the fit would stay tight over time .

I think the original quote was "you cant put a square peg in a round hole" This was in fact refering to the assembly of wooden post and beam pegged construction as used in houses and barns . Its actually a very sound and good construction method . It was easy to bore a round hole in a piece of wood and easy to carve a square peg . The result was a very tight and very strong assembly as the square shoulders of the peg would bite into the sides of the round hole and resist any motion to work its way loose while the wood might be used in a green state ,as as it dried the fit would stay tight over time .

But Round Peg/ Square hole is an accepted variant

http://www.answers.com/topic/square-peg-in-a-round-hole

http://www.idiomdictionary.com/definition/square-peg-in-a-round-hole.html

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/you+can't+fit+a+round+peg+in+a+square+hole

The phrase is an idiom and none of the sources I can find connect the phrase with wooden pegs in timber structures since these wooden pegged structures do fit. The expression is an idiom to represent things which simply do not and could not fit or belong together..(and if the use of square pegs on round holes you described was widely known, and a common practice, this phrase would not work as an idiom). Its use dates from about 1800 and that is long long after pegged joints were first made in timber structures....

Idiom (Latin: idioma, "special property", f. Greek: ἰδίωμα – idiōma, "special feature, special phrasing", f. Greek: ἴδιος – idios, "one’s own") is an expression, word, or phrase that has a figurative meaning that is comprehended in regard to a common use of that expression that is separate from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made

Therefore Round Hole/ Square peg or Square Hole/ round peg are both suitable idioms for a person who does not suit a particular job.

peggedjoint.jpg

But as far as I Knew pegged Joints were made with roughly round pegs. Certainly when I have seen them used the end entering the hole is pretty well round, although the remainder may be more irregular

Edited by antarmike

Why there are road maps.

Men don't need them and women can't read them.......

I can read a map actually!!! Mind you I do have to turn the map so I am holding it in the same direction we are travelling in!!!! Better still I turn to TomTom!! :nut:

Funny how the sat navs always have a female voice though. Thinking of where you can end up with a sat nav. I rest ma case!

Anyway batteries don't go flat on a map. Though phycolgists do say it is a femine trait to turn the map, where as men don't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1270534/Men-better-map-reading-women-superior-remembering-routes-study-finds.html

Edited by Tony B

Why, when it is busy and they have obviously been quieing for some time, do women get on to the bus, then start digging down in a HUGE bag to find their bus pass. This phonomnen is normally associated with heavy rain, with all the polite gentelman who stood aside for the lady standing out side getting soacked. :undecided:

Why, when it is busy and they have obviously been quieing for some time, do women get on to the bus, then start digging down in a HUGE bag to find their bus pass. This phonomnen is normally associated with heavy rain, with all the polite gentelman who stood aside for the lady standing out side getting soacked. :undecided:
I dont think its a female thing Tony, I think its an age related thing as I thought it was men of a certain age who did that, they also do the same thing at the check out having stood and watched the checkout person bleep it all through, they the precede to pack it all then look for the purse! I am treading on dodgy ground here by dissing elderly people, I have the upmost respect for the older generation and hope I havent upset anyone!!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

I dont think its a female thing Tony, I think its an age related thing as I thought it was men of a certain age who did that, they also do the same thing at the check out having stood and watched the checkout person bleep it all through, they the precede to pack it all then look for the purse! I am treading on dodgy ground here by dissing elderly people, I have the upmost respect for the older generation and hope I havent upset anyone!!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

Depends what you mean by men of a certain age :nut:

Just realized I am now on more than 1000 posts and yet no-one has opened to club house doors for me :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I didnt either Rosie, welcome to the 1000 club

Mark

Neither was I welcomed into the 2000 club either! :cry:

Why when women, when asked "what is wrong?", come back with , "If you don't know, I am not telling you".

Can anyone explain how they think this takes the discussion forward or how it will lead to a resolution?

Edited by antarmike

Why when women, when asked "what is wrong?", come back with , "If you don't know, I am not telling you".

Can anyone explain how they think this takes the discussion forward or how it will lead to a resolution?

Its got something to do with hormones most of the time!!!! I do it to R Cubed, I sometimes wonder why he has absolutely no idea why I would be upset, but on reflection you men dont have the same intuition that us women have. I can immediately know what is wrong with Richard, by the way he reacts to me. I know it has something to do with what I said or did (or didnt do!) and I know how to make it better. But you men just dont have it so there is no need to try and explain it to you cos you wont understand anyway!!!!!!!!! Just give in, be sorry (even if you dont know what for!) give her a cuddle and tell her she is the best and you love her. Rub her feet/back/head/all three and bring her a drink, works for me everytime!!!!!!!!!! ;)

What I don't understand include why are we giving billions in aid to other countries when we have massive problems at home, and as for funding medical projects in Africa when we cannot provide the best care for British citizens just astounds me... My father (who has paid more in tax each year that many people earn !) needs some treatment for his eyesight which if untreated will result in certain blindness within the next few years. The NHS will not pay and want to charge £1500 for each injection in a course of 6 over 12 months... Understanding women is easy compared to this!!!!

What I don't understand include why are we giving billions in aid to other countries when we have massive problems at home, and as for funding medical projects in Africa when we cannot provide the best care for British citizens just astounds me... My father (who has paid more in tax each year that many people earn !) needs some treatment for his eyesight which if untreated will result in certain blindness within the next few years. The NHS will not pay and want to charge £1500 for each injection in a course of 6 over 12 months... Understanding women is easy compared to this!!!!
Right with you there! Dont even get me started on children who need medical treatment. I wont start ranting on about this subject as I may actually explode :mad:

Why do people get on a bus and say 'Do you go up the road?'. What do the expect? No. I'm bored so I'm going up the flaming river instead! Rosie, who said anything about old people? :whistle:

Edited by Tony B

Why people put "Horses" on Horse boxes. I know a horse box when I see one, what and guess what, I know what they have inside them....

Like "Caution Baby on board" signs, does knowing the contents of a vehicle make me less likely to crash into it or doesn't the fact I don't want an accident provide enough incentive to drive carefully?

Edited by antarmike

Why do people get on a bus and say 'Do you go up the road?'. What do the expect? No. I'm bored so I'm going up the flaming river instead! Rosie, who said anything about old people? :whistle:

We have a student at work who is 18 yrs old but has never been or done anything, anyway she had to go on a course the other day, someone dropped her off but she was sure and happy that she would be able to get her own way back ok using the buses. I did ask her if she wanted to book a taxi but assured me she could catch a bus, and as I say at 18 I thought she would be fine...............................................

She came in the following day all a fluster, she didnt realize there were so many buses, she didnt realize how much they would be and she thought the bus would take her straight to the bus stop outside her house!!!!!! Honestly??!!!!!!!!:shocked:

We have a student at work who is 18 yrs old but has never been or done anything, anyway she had to go on a course the other day, someone dropped her off but she was sure and happy that she would be able to get her own way back ok using the buses. I did ask her if she wanted to book a taxi but assured me she could catch a bus, and as I say at 18 I thought she would be fine...............................................

She came in the following day all a fluster, she didnt realize there were so many buses, she didnt realize how much they would be and she thought the bus would take her straight to the bus stop outside her house!!!!!! Honestly??!!!!!!!!:shocked:

Rosie you are so right. :-D The other classic is 'Your going the wrong way!' No I'm not, buses go along a route BOTH ways.