Aden Colour Schemes

Rover8FFR

As an aside : i have the RAF paint regs for the said period; Light Stone was to be in gloss as the preferred finish (2 coats) . matt was availible if deemed operationally essential one coat over one coat of gloss.

I have been trying to find a article I read which gave Lt Stone with DBG as the disruptive both in gloss but after much nashing of teeth I stlll cannot find it.

Hmmm, the whole cam/no cam thing is a bit of a can'o'worms but very interesting non the less.

I also did`nt think that 432s reached Aden....now, with a bouyancy aid on the front it suggests an early one as these were disposed of later on in service... & yet the NBC pack on the right side looks (to me) to be much slimmer than I remember on the Mk1 & Mk2 & looks more like the one fitted MUCH later on the MK2/3

Anyone agree ?

H

The two 432`s in Aden were used by the REME as recovery wagons, as they had armour and were tracked, a vital feature as wheeled recovery were prone to having the tyres shot out.

My memory does not go back to registration numbers, but the one pictured above was put out of action by a mine, which buckled the chassis under the engine , and (I think) blew the wheel station off.

"My" 432 had a Ferret turret fitted, complete with 30 Browning with no sights. To get to a target you simply "walked" the shots to where you wanted them. ( see photo).

Before leaving Aden, we filled the hull with as much "kit" as we could, mainly brand new washing machines, freezers, fridges, all tightly packed in by carpets, sleeping bags, and any thing else lying around. In fact , the 43 was so full I had to sit on the outside, but still in reach of the Browning.

All went well until we reached the docks where I was told to to on HMS Fearless, whilst my laden 43 went on some grotty transport bound for some port in England, and I never saw her again.

One point about the Browning. Although it was good for frightening the locals, I once fired 4000 rounds at a tin can in the sea , and missed!

Image432.jpg

I'm still bemused by the NBC pack on the right side which 'appears' even in this second photograph to be the much much later slimmer Mk2/1 type. I only recall seeing the large bulky version with the large angled fore plate on Mk1 & Mk2.

H

I'm still bemused by the NBC pack on the right side which 'appears' even in this second photograph to be the much much later slimmer Mk2/1 type. I only recall seeing the large bulky version with the large angled fore plate on Mk1 & Mk2.

H

As Chris says, it's a Mk 2/1, albeit fitted with flotation gear. The Mk 2/1 was certainly around in 1967 when we withdrew from Aden. What interests me are the side track guards which seem to have gradually disappeared over time. I'm assuming they were originally fitted to help with propulsion when swimming.

Andy

Quote;- The Mk 2/1 was certainly around in 1967 when we withdrew from Aden.

Granted it appears a Mk2/1 with that flatter NBC pack on it. I'm just genuinley surprised that the Mk2/1 was around that early on.(67) I thought (until now) the flatter NBC pack was only introduced around 1980....live & learn I suppose !

H

Quote;- The Mk 2/1 was certainly around in 1967 when we withdrew from Aden.

Granted it appears a Mk2/1 with that flatter NBC pack on it. I'm just genuinley surprised that the Mk2/1 was around that early on.(67) I thought (until now) the flatter NBC pack was only introduced around 1980....live & learn I suppose !

H

There's at least one Mk2/1 in private hands on a "D" civilian plate which implies first used 1966.

Andy

Don't worry - it just makes me feel old! :-(

Incidentally, does anyone know when the flotation equipment was removed from the FV430s? It seems to have been under instruction E109 Misc 43, but I can't find a date for it. Best guess is 1980 or thereabouts.

Andy

There is a photograph in my one of my Tankograd books of a 43 with no swim kit at all fitted, claiming to be taken in Soltau 1978. Having said that...the same book is riddled with inaccuracies on other photographs, so it's no hard & fast guide.

(Bit of a useless answer I know)

H

Don't worry - it just makes me feel old! :-(

Incidentally, does anyone know when the flotation equipment was removed from the FV430s? It seems to have been under instruction E109 Misc 43, but I can't find a date for it. Best guess is 1980 or thereabouts.

Andy

Float screens came off our Scorpions about 1980. The bottom left-hand picture on this page,

http://m136.de/spearpoint-80-gallerie

shows an A Sqn 15/19H umpire Scimitar on Spearpoint in September 1980 without float screen.

We got new Sultans in 1979 with float screens still fitted.

I suspect the whole of BAOR removed float screens at the same time when they finally realised there wasn't a river we'd need to swim in anger that we could actually get the wagons into without swamping.

Sorry this started as a question on Camo and now we are onto 432s and swimming gear.............NBC?????

You swines you have overpowered my thread on camo........FOR A LAND ROVER!!!!!!!

However if it all ads to the Aden livery debate..........Crack on!..............:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Quote;- You swines you have overpowered my thread on camo........FOR A LAND ROVER

Ah yes, sorry about that....mind you Land Rovers are easily overpowered....by Champs !! (gets coat & leaves quick):box:

Seriously, thanks for starting the thread cause I was about to ask the same question but in relation to Saladin.

Damn, another overpowering offshoot:banana:

H