Car boot sale items.

rambo1969

Sorry no idea! Dont want to hijack your thread but was going to start 'car boot' thread myself.

Picked up my-self t'day.

Sadly woven badge a bit topical at the mo. The Italian webbing (repro.) from 'Captain Corellia's mandolin'

Some of the 58 ptn. kit unissued and markings I have never seen.

2011_0605Smokey0006.JPG

2011_0605Smokey0007.jpg

2011_0605Smokey0008.JPG

Sorry mate. They were the WW2 British Army resperaitor. Developed from the Great War masks. They consist of a Rubber mask with tube running down to a filter canister held in a canvas bag worn on the chest.ONE VERY IMPORTANT HEALTH WARNING!!!!!! These type of resperaitors have ASBESTOS in the filter. So if buying check there is no damage to the canister AND DON'T WEAR IT!! Purley for show only now. On E prey they make £50 to £60.

I was under the impression all of the britsh resperaitors from ww2 had asbestos in them, including the civilian issued ones. Unsure of the other countries.

I bought this month ago.

Container has missing lid and the jack is marked 1943. Nice find in Czech Rep. :D

bouth cca for 20GBP.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46469[/ATTACH]

Looks like a German tank granade container.

Well done.

• 3 weeks later...
I was under the impression all of the britsh resperaitors from ww2 had asbestos in them, including the civilian issued ones. Unsure of the other countries.

ALL respirators made prior to the mid-1950s had asbestos in the filter and must not be worn.

The Service respirator (brown canister with hose) contains crocidolite (blue asbestos).

The Civilian Duty respirator (heavy rubber mask with attached filter and rubber exhaust valve contains chrysotile (white) asbestos in the standard filter and crocidolite in the add-on green canister (Contex filter).

The Civilian respirators use the same filters as the Civilian Duty model.

None of them should be worn if you value your lungs, the paper in the filters is a mix of asbestos fibre and esparto grass pulp, and this will have degraded in the 70+ years since they were manufactured and probably shed fibres over the interior of the mask if you draw air through it.

Post 1956 masks use spun glass filters (developed by the Americans as they had no strategic supplies of esparto grass or asbestos (apparently)), and may be safe to wear.

Chris

(I have a longer article about this somewhere.)

ALL respirators made prior to the mid-1950s had asbestos in the filter and must not be worn.

The Service respirator (brown canister with hose) contains crocidolite (blue asbestos).

The Civilian Duty respirator (heavy rubber mask with attached filter and rubber exhaust valve contains chrysotile (white) asbestos in the standard filter and crocidolite in the add-on green canister (Contex filter).

The Civilian respirators use the same filters as the Civilian Duty model.

None of them should be worn if you value your lungs, the paper in the filters is a mix of asbestos fibre and esparto grass pulp, and this will have degraded in the 70+ years since they were manufactured and probably shed fibres over the interior of the mask if you draw air through it.

Post 1956 masks use spun glass filters (developed by the Americans as they had no strategic supplies of esparto grass or asbestos (apparently)), and may be safe to wear.

Chris

(I have a longer article about this somewhere.)

Hi Chris could you find that artical real fast please buddy !!!! as a kid in the 60s 70s we all used to run arround with ww2 gas masks on and guns made out of broom handles & 6" nails, nobody died then but we might only have days to live now. :shocked: On a serious note yours is good advise as I for one didnt know about the danger.

Hi Chris could you find that artical real fast please buddy !!!! as a kid in the 60s 70s we all used to run arround with ww2 gas masks on and guns made out of broom handles & 6" nails, nobody died then but we might only have days to live now. :shocked: On a serious note yours is good advise as I for one didnt know about the danger.

That's you and me both, mate. I think the one I used to have is still at me Dads house somewhere. Not sure where the broom handle gun got to though :-D