Help with Windows

woa2

I need some help with my PC. I have lost the Printer, and it looks like I had a Virus attack corrupting several files. It means if I try and re-install the printer, it can't be found, but the scan utility part of it works - the printer is one of those all-in-one printers. I have found that the Print Spooler is not running and nothing I do seems to fix this.

Now the question is, I am running XP Home at present. If I upgrade to Windows 7 will this cure my printer problem and get the Print Spooler running again?

Many thanks for any advice.

Un-install the printer and related scanner drivers completely. Do this from within control panel - might be under "Add/Remove programs".

Reboot the PC - I prefer to power off then power on to flush the cache out too.

Then re-install the drivers and you should be OK. If not the then part of the spooler is corrupted and you will have to reinstall the operating system anyway.

If you have to reinsall the O/S then follow Daves advice and install a fresh edition of Windows 7 - you will need to re-install all your applications too so make sure you have all the necessary license keys before doing so.

What Neil said, but make absolutely sure you've got rid of all vestiges of the virus before you start. Remove the printer drivers, switch off the PC, unplug the printer, then switch on the PC and re-install the printer. Note that some printers, particularly those made by HP, are sensitive to the order in which you do things, so go back to the original instructions.

Andy

Bit of advice.

Do not even think about Windows 7 untill you have checked that your PC is of high enougth specification. IF your PC is more than a few years old I very much doubt it will work well with anything other than XP.

If you really really want to go to Windows 7, I would personally buy a new PC as it removes the dissappointment when you find that it does not work properly

You can check your PC's compatability here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

The other thing you must do is make sure your printer etc are compatible with Windows 7.

My XP PC recently died and have had to buy new printer/scanner and my negative/slide scanner is nolonger usable. Luckily have an XP laptop aswell.

The fully removing and unplugging of printer and drivers is a good logical start. However if the problem is with the Windows print spooler you may need to repair XP.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ENSURE ALL IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS, PICTURES etc ARE BACKED UP TO CD/DVD?EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

The symptoms you describe could be attributed to a virus, some currupt files but many are designed to steal data and turn your PC into something that can be used by others. The corruption of files, which lead to things failing can also be down to the hard disk failing or caused by power spikes from a failing main borad or power supply. Hence my advise above.

Windows has tools that allow you to scan hard disks for errors and also to fix problems with the operating system. This occassionally involves reinstalling Windows.

There are 2 reinstall options one "repairs" windows, keeping all your data and programs, but I have found this not always effective.

The other totally obliterates everything on the computer and returns it to a basic system, or how it came from the factory.

But in order to do these you need the original disk or the system restore disks from when the PC was new.

Mike

Un-install the printer and related scanner drivers completely. Do this from within control panel - might be under "Add/Remove programs".

Reboot the PC - I prefer to power off then power on to flush the cache out too.

Then re-install the drivers and you should be OK. If not the then part of the spooler is corrupted and you will have to reinstall the operating system anyway.

Thanks for the advice, but I already tried this, hence my question about Windows7. I can't re-install XP as the PC came with it already loaded and I don't have a disc. As my PC is now about 5 or 6 years old, I think looking around in the January sales for a good deal might be my best way out as Mike65 has suggested.

Many thanks to you all for your advice.

As my PC is now about 5 or 6 years old, I think looking around in the January sales for a good deal might be my best way out as Mike65 has suggested.

That's probably a good suggestion if you don't have access to the original installation media. Just check that your printer and any other devices you've got attached to the PC have Windows 7 drivers available, though!

Andy

Firast thing if you are upgrading, CHECK THE RAM!! 7 needs at least a megabyte of working RAM. Mind you cheaper to upgrade RAM than a new computer. I use a company on the web called ORCA, great service and cheaper than any local supplier. Might not directly help with printer though. I have a HP Desckjet F2200 series. Took my a while to find out you need a patch for 7.

AVG do a nice computer check up and service programme. There is free version but I've got the paid version, really do see the diffrence.

Thanks for the advice, but I already tried this, hence my question about Windows7. I can't re-install XP as the PC came with it already loaded and I don't have a disc. As my PC is now about 5 or 6 years old, I think looking around in the January sales for a good deal might be my best way out as Mike65 has suggested.

Many thanks to you all for your advice.

If you never had CD's either there is a recovery partition / application on the hard drive or there are installation CD images ready to burn on the hard drive - legally some method of recovery must have been supplied.

In any case so long as you have the XP label with the 25 character key and it is readable you can re-install with any unbranded XP home CD of the same level e.g. with SP1, SP2, SP3.

If originally SP1 or SP2 any CD that is not SP3 will probably accept the key.

Ask around - if you get stuck I have a couple I have used to get people out of trouble but need to check versions.

You will also need to download your drivers and antivirus software (eg avast) and firewall (eg Comodo) and store on a CD or USB memory (virus free of course) before you start.

I have met this print spooler issue as a result of a virus, I recall a repair patch exists but a good chance you have other corruption too.

After 5-6 years a re-install is a good idea anyway.

As others have posted at best Windows 7 on a 5-6 year old PC will be disappointing.

5 or 6 years is a hell of a long time in computing term - rule of thumb is processing power doubles every 18 months....

If the funds permit then replacing might well be a good idea. Possibly you might also need to upgrade some if not all of your applications - a lot my SP stuff refused to work point blank with vista - and 7 is a reworked (VERY extensively though) version of Vista.

If not and you have to rejig the existing PC then a COMPLETE relaod is the way to go. Personally I'd be thinking along the lines of archiving the data onto CD's and reformatting the disk to give a clean start.... You can still - just - get hold of legit versions of XP although support from Micro$oft is in terminal stages:

Products Released: Windows XP Home Edition

General Availability Date: 31/12/2001

Mainstream Support End Date: 14/04/2009

Extended Support End Date: 08/04/2014

Service Pack Support End Date: 30/08/2005