Thieves at Christmas

ferrettkitt

First things first Merry Christmas too all and a Happy New Year as well.

As the holidays approach and were all thinking of families and Christmas dinner don't forget that the scum bags see this as a wonderful opportunity to part you from you're hard earned tools and equipment. Last year the farm outbuildings where I store my Ferret were raided by scum bags, they managed to walk away with the vast majority of the gardeners portable tools petrol strimmers, hedge cutters so on and so forth. I know these particular lads work from dawn to dusk and this was a major setback for them having to buy new equipment.

Since that day the barn where the equipment is stored has had its security improved. Unfortunately as is the case with many farms the farm has a public write of way running through the farmyard, which for the most part is fine except when the 'dodgy' ones want to view areas that they shouldn't.

Which brings me to the reason that I'm writing this its almost that time of year again when the barn was broken into last year. I decided to go up to the farm to start my Ferret up and give it a run round. I had to go into the barn to throw some things into the back of the RB44, whilst I was doing that three lads came into the barn. They didn't see me until they had just entered the barn where upon they made out that they were looking at the RB44. With a couple of ohs and aws that's nice they did an abrupt about face and toddled of back down the road. When I first saw them they weren't looking at the RB they were looking at the brand new snow blower in front of the RB. It might be entirely innocent and I could be reading something into it thats not there but the sudden loss of interest and the quick about face leads me to think something else.

The moral of this story lock you're kit up and if you have a lock up and you're leaving you're van on site over Christmas park you're van in front of the doors and make it as difficult as possible for the wasters to get in. Just make it difficult for the buggers

Just read about a farmer thought he was shooting at a fox in the dark took out two burgalers he didnt know were staking out the place unfortunatley he,s now lost his f/a licence but no charges Cravens Hall ring a bell

it says in the paper there was a canabis factory on his farm and he didnt know, ye right !..

I think it's happened to us all, about a year ago I had a toolbox, welder, large socket set and a few other bits nicked from our unit. On the units next door they'd even hacked through the breeze block wall with an axe! The farmer keeps on saying he'll improve security, but of course being a farmer it never happens :D

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for a farm to store my truck and Land Rover. My old boss owns 12 acres near me and keeps horses, a horse box, tractor and numerous other stuff in a barn on her land. She said she has been raided about 5 times (by people that travel in caravans and make a living stealing stuff that doesn't belong to them) . I decided then that unless I could find VERY secure storage, I'm better off leaving them outside in public view.

Edited by LoggyDriver

Its a shame the countryside is blighted this way isn't it ! I would love a small place in the sticks but it seems I must have got rose tinted glasses from a lot of the tales I hear ! Crimewatch last week a chap was run over and killed trying to protect his property ! Another chap I spoke to has a farm near Orpington and it sounded like the wild west ! It can seem like a lawless world out there ! Happy New Year ! :-(:D

Its a shame the countryside is blighted this way isn't it ! I would love a small place in the sticks but it seems I must have got rose tinted glasses from a lot of the tales I hear ! Crimewatch last week a chap was run over and killed trying to protect his property ! Another chap I spoke to has a farm near Orpington and it sounded like the wild west ! It can seem like a lawless world out there ! Happy New Year ! :-(:D

Yes, there is some quaint, dewy eyed idea that country folk are all law abiding, good to their neighbour types. B*****ks. A farming/butcher family near me have the biggest bunch of villains per family member head than any other family in the county I reckon ! :) They view anything they see from their vantage point in the tractor seat as 'carry and cash'. The up side is they are pretty good at keeping the gypo's out of the area, as then they would have to share the pickings! Spells at Her Majesties pleasure seem to be no deterrent. And these are folks with serious property and dosh! After they have finished then you have to start with the council estate chavs.

Yes, there is some quaint, dewy eyed idea that country folk are all law abiding, good to their neighbour types. B*****ks. A farming/butcher family near me have the biggest bunch of villains per family member head than any other family in the county I reckon ! :) They view anything they see from their vantage point in the tractor seat as 'carry and cash'. The up side is they are pretty good at keeping the gypo's out of the area, as then they would have to share the pickings! Spells at Her Majesties pleasure seem to be no deterrent. And these are folks with serious property and dosh! After they have finished then you have to start with the council estate chavs.

Seems like a good argument to bring back Hanging!...............:whistle:

Bloody true! I could tell some tales. So, I had an old series 3 Safari, fitted with a 90 engine and gear box. She was a right cow to start. One morning about two o'clock I heard the engine kick outside the bedroom window., Dived out of bed yanked window open, there was some **&%^%%$ in the drivers seat. I yelled grabbed something heavy and dived out side, thirty seconds max. In that time the aforementioned had got up the length of the vehicle and out of one half of the BACK sliding window! None of the doors had been forced. I called the Plod, and wondered why anyone would want to steal it, it was a heap. Following night the then new John Lewis at Nugent retail Park was ram raided.

This is a site near my office, which has suffered from a lot of pilferage;

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Angus/article/8663/body-of-james-stewart-found-impaled-on-fence.html

I think I'll not add any further comment :-|

Cant help feeling it served him right!

I also feel sorry for the farmer mentioned in Andy Fowlers piece, got run over by his own Land Rover. They said on the news he'd had his shot gun with him, but hadn't managed to use it. Of course he would have been done if he had let one of them have it, but at least he would still be alive.

Cant help feeling it served him right!

We have received a few complaints about comments in this thread & I've had to delete several comments already, HMVF does not condone any type of violence and comments being made in this thread are of the type which could bring HMVF in to disrepute.

Thread Closed.