Borden REME Reserve Collection

antar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent a few hours there quite a few years back, as a guest of Roger Jones, who was the curator then. Good stuff on show, sadly not open to all. When I was there, there were a few Land Rover "specials", including the Roadless Forestry Commission one with tractor tyres front and back. An excellent interlude while on my way back to the far South West!

Spent a few hours there quite a few years back, as a guest of Roger Jones, who was the curator then. Good stuff on show, sadly not open to all. When I was there, there were a few Land Rover "specials", including the Roadless Forestry Commission one with tractor tyres front and back. An excellent interlude while on my way back to the far South West!

I believe the Land Rover "Funnies" were ex-Beverley.

The oddest thing I remember seeing on one of several visits to the collection was a 4x4 Austin Maestro van, it was used as a development 'mule' for the Land Rover Freelander.

jch

great pics john, thanks for taking the time to post them, i spent a year at bordon and never knew they had a collection of old mv's but back then i would have had little interest in them, to me they would have been just another army wagon to work on but now i'd love to have a tour. do you know if they have a centaur arv in the collection.

eddy

No Centaur ARVs are known to survive, several 'dozers however.

No MkI Churchill ARV either, Borden's MkII is the only one of its species, 3 or 4 MkIIIs exist (Cadman Bros, Alwal & Ahmednagar (India) and a possible one on the Haltern Training Area in Germany http://www.hartziel.de/index.htm?/haltern/index.htm )

great, i was thinking of turning the centaur into an arv as the turret and ring will go on the charioteer to get it back to it's original cromwell spec so i'd be left with something that looked like an arv anyway and being REME it's only fitting that i should honour my corps wartime history/antics plus i'll probably put a meteor in as the liberty is in a pile at the bottom of the engine compartment which combined with the lack of turret and gun weight will give me the fastest tank in town :cool2:

eddy

from my house to dortmund is only 13 hours traveling, so andy what you doing over the xmas break, fancy a road trip ;)

Listening to sparks fly as I'm kicked out of the house by the missus... along with a sore head when the suit case smashes me on the noggin if I even think of asking about a road trip to Dortmund

Pzkpfw-e

Borden's MkII is the only one of its species, 3 or 4 MkIIIs exist (Cadman Bros, Alwal & Ahmednagar (India) and a possible one on the Haltern Training Area in Germany http://www.hartziel.de/index.htm?/haltern/index.htm )

Not quite correct there are at least four Churchill ARV Mk2. The Mark designator in this case is for the ARV type not the tank type.

Bordens ARV Mk2 T68915 51ZR94 is from a batch of Beyer Peacock built tanks variously built as Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 ranging from one as an OKE T68875 Beetle which landed with the Calgary Rgt at Dieppe to T68878 which became a Bridgelayer with a Post War VRN of 44ZR57 and struck off in November 1962.

Of the two ARV Mk2 in India, one has a number T173116 which if genuine is a from a dual manufactured batch by Birmingham Carriage/Broom and Wade which includes late production Mk4-6pdr, Mk4 75mm (Mk6) but also includes Ark Mk2 and Bridgelayers.

There is also a very worn-rusty ARV Mk2 ex Pounds in private hands in Kent.

Churchill ARV Mk2 were very late conversions there is little or no evidence of use during WW2. The conversions such as the Borden example have late model changes such as 8inch air outlet and Mk7 suspension.

The hard target site is a bit of an of an none starter as I'm sure it is of the ranges that have the "comandature prohibition" which says that requests for vehicles and parts will be ignored so unless some-one is really blessed with the blarney don't bother:cool2:.

By

Alwal
do you mean Axvall in Sweden as far as I am aware they have only a Mk3 gun tank (re-enforced turret) which seems to have been obtained from Denmark as Sweden never used the Churchill.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
spelling and addition

I have some photo's taken at this collection,

i used to visit it whenever down there on a course, used to shoot off to lunch, then spend the rest of the lunch break oogling and drooling at the collection. :nut:

Have the land rover "funnies" will look for them and have to scan them for up load as they are pre-digital.

Pzkpfw-e

Alwal (India)

Thanks for that clarification:-) the MCEME Parade Grounds Hyderbhad. While a useful and interesting site Shadock is not that accurate - they would probably get more assistance to correct errors in their script if they weren't so cavalier in posting photos that they don't have copyright. For my own stuff I have a totally open policy for my photos, if asked. I don't like people using stuff without permission.

With regard to the Haltern wreck note it was built on an early hull without cones or nuts. The two Indian exhibits are fitted with original two piece air intakes, inverted with sheet steel extensions - these were common on both Churchill ARV Mk1 & 2 -I'm not sure why but as it was a REME preference there must have been a good reason for it. The existing REME exhibit has the standard mid/late production air intakes.

Steve

Hi All,

I have been lucky enough to have visited Bordon on many occasions and of course taken various photos, but thanks must go to the man himself for allowing my visits. So a Very big thank you to Roger for all the mega experiences had over the years.

well in no particular order here we go..... enjoy

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

Bordonfodencollection019.jpg

DSCF0202.jpg

DSCF0203.jpg

DSCF0206.jpg

DSCF0207.jpg

DSCF0213.jpg

DSCF0225.jpg

DSCF0232.jpg

DSCF0238.jpg

DSCF0249.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

DSCF0004_2.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg

DSCF0083crop.jpg

Oooooh, would`nt mind a cabby round the slab again before I snuff it, preferably in a Cent though. 'Memories are made of this...' (Dean Martin)

Wonder if the Conq is still down the hole ?

See the F88 240 wrecker with the Mili on the hook ?, that was brand new & on trials at Bordon while I was there in training. Apparently the gear was ok but being 4x2 it was otherwise useless....lost out to the Crusader in the end I believe.

The vehicle collection shed was then home to the MT Section, with about a dozen trucks in a vast hanger... where I did many a winter 'cold start' on TK (no not MK) for HGV3 & then on Militant Mk3 wrecker for HGV2.

Happy days.

H

Hi Fluf,

Is that the infamous Noddy in this photo?

Hi Richard,

The guys name slips me totally, but was a pukka character, and the name also slips my mind (must be an age thing) of the guy who explained all that was going on with the recovery. All I do remember is some of his very funny comments, some of the facts and that he was a South African.

Hi Peter4456,

Yes sure will post later, do you just want stuff in the shed or from the heath as well?

Hi Richard,

The guys name slips me totally, but was a pukka character, and the name also slips my mind (must be an age thing) of the guy who explained all that was going on with the recovery. All I do remember is some of his very funny comments, some of the facts and that he was a South African.

Hi Fluf,

If it is who I think, he was a civilian Recovery Instructer at Bordon, but had served as a Recy Mech in REME. A very knowledgable and entertaining guy, not sure about the S.African bit though. He had a lot to do with the Historic Vehicle Collection in the early days, when he and Rog, along with other helpers, used to bring out large numbers of vehicles from the collection to rallies around the South of England, notably MVT Southsea, Rushmoor Steam Rally, Beltring, etc. Those were the days !

Ok Richard,

Heres the mug shots

a1.jpg

Hi Fluf,

That is Noddy ! Don't know the other guy though.

Noddy used to bring out a Scammell Medium to the rallies, it had a large air vent on the cab roof, as it was last in service in Kenya. He looked on it as his own, so I felt very priviliged to be allowed to take it out to a rally near Petersfield once. I think this was when an AEC Medium came into the collection, and Noddy took that under his wing :-).

I have lots of photos of the vehicle collection, but usually out and about, not in the shed, these would date from the mid-1980's.