Borden REME Reserve Collection

antar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 432 has been a long standing truck for the army, reliable and effective...it did what it was designed to do and allowed soldiers to keep up with a mechanised brigade...not a lot wrong with it really....in todays wars it just needs better armour protection but that is a task that can never be won...the more armour the bigger the bomb/weapon needed to defeat it thats all

Pzkpfw-e

Bloody good job we didn't have to fight a real war with the bloody things!

Rather unfair chances are it would have done its job as well as any other British AFV -to an extent a lot less tempremental than the Chieftain, it might be interesting if anyone has turn out stats for various BAOR AFVs to see where it was in the reliablity stakes. As Paulob1 says

the 432 has been a long standing truck for the army, reliable and effective

My only caviat is that the development of the 432 and the "need" to retain a national build type means that the 432 was more akin to the US M59 rather than the contemporary M113 which probably would have been better value for money and NATO commonality.

Steve

That is the conqueror ARV from the collection. It is on John Atlee's girder trailer behind his Antar. The Conqueror is in the shed currently with the winch out on the floor for some repairs. The girder trailer was outside but no sight of the Antar, I forgot to ask Roger where it was.
hopefully if all goes to plan the conq will be out for test run end of feb on slab and possibly even a winch test 27th sunday,its coming on leaps and bounds at moment,everthing going back in after complete overhaul.

hopefully if all goes to plan the conq will be out for test run end of feb on slab and possibly even a winch test 27th sunday,its coming on leaps and bounds at moment,everthing going back in after complete overhaul.

Hello mate , do you think this event would be open to the public to watch as I would love to come and watch the old beast being put through her paces and take some video for others to see !:D

presume you mean the 27th February when the AWDC have an off road heavies day, I will be there, hopefully with my M62, thats about 22 tons, and it we attach the stalwart and maybe the leyland another 25 tonswould be good to see the conquerer pull that lot...

Hello mate , do you think this event would be open to the public to watch as I would love to come and watch the old beast being put through her paces and take some video for others to see !:D

yes the event is open to the public and there should be a few ex military trucks there,mostly ex soviet

presume you mean the 27th February when the AWDC have an off road heavies day, I will be there, hopefully with my M62, thats about 22 tons, and it we attach the stalwart and maybe the leyland another 25 tonswould be good to see the conquerer pull that lot...
haha you will need a bit more than that paul

• 3 months later...
That is the conqueror ARV from the collection. It is on John Atlee's girder trailer behind his Antar. The Conqueror is in the shed currently with the winch out on the floor for some repairs. The girder trailer was outside but no sight of the Antar, I forgot to ask Roger where it was.

the antars up at johns place in stamford,don,t think it will be coming back down here