My first Landrover Restoration.

airportable

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep i have fitted 3 new steering relays from britpart and all of them had a shaft made of chocolate. I could not for the life of me figure out how the steering would go out of center after a days off roading. I fitted relay number 2 as i thought i had bent it being silly in some ruts but low and behold it went out of center in tescos car park when i took a short cut over several curbs and some nicely planted flower beds to avoid the qeue out:blush: So number 3 was fitted and i proceeded to drive very gently and would you belive out of center it went again! Only this time in the pub car park when manouvering on the flat and level:shocked: back at home i could not belive it, with the landy static and her indoors pulling the wheel round i could watch the relay leavers and see the shaft twisting. Its utterly disgusting that they supply parts like this that could kill people and their brake parts are shocking too. brake drums that were 2mm out of round 2mm for gods sake!

if i ever win the euro millions i will make it my mission to expose the crap that britpart sell and shut them down.

i have just googled " Britpart " and the 4th result down is a grumble about a radiator, and thats not even googeling $"itpart!!

Good book , I have noted the odd error.. You need to get into the way of using it due to the lack of illustrations.

There are just a few important part numbers missing...

These publications were constantly amended whilst in use. The Unit's technical library would recieve pages of amendments regularly, so you might have come across an unissued one, or one not amended. The best ones were from large workshops who used them constantly and added in helpful additions as well.

Hi. Yes the parts book looks like it has never been used. My mate has some intresting paperwork, need to spend a little time with Him going through it. Did see typed sheets on waterproofing and other documents for Landie's including a file on P.T.O. driven Sankey's.

Any way, recieved the panels today. A Landi fan indeed, great chap and very knowlegable on galv./ metal protections. Shown me how to make and jig the bulk head on the new chassis before I remove any old panels. Slightly thicker plate than origional, finished really well indeed. Total cost of the eight panels £147. (Do folks find it usefull me quoting prices? Give anyone a idea what a restoration may cost)

Andy.

2010-11-14 New Panels (3).jpg

I have two copies of the 61278 , May 1975 publication. Managed to get a copy soon after (so much for restricted) , came in very handy, the later one has a few Amd. sheets. However AFAIK such as the steering box covers (particular to the Lightweight) were never listed - I added to the bottom of page H12 :-

Steering box cover (nearside) 346256

-do- (offside) 346255

ISTR - when Brooklands did a re-print - quite a few pages were missed out ?

No problem now with steering box covers - as you have found out that Les Chrome does a excellent reproduction (as are his bulkhead hinge plates and footwell repair panels)..

Well being I missed out going to Cosford restoration open day got on with a bit more on the Landi.

Being, managed to cut out the steering relay and clean up. Started to sort out seals in rear axle, drained oil first and...... water!:embarrassed:. So took out dif. assy. to find no rust problems at all. At least I know the crown wheel/pinion is in first class order.:-)

Spent on Gunk, aresol primer/black and few bits. £26

Andy.

2010-11-20 Airportable restoration (2).jpg

2010-11-20 Airportable restoration (4).jpg

2010-11-20 Airportable restoration (5).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been up against the weather this last couple of weeks, but a little done in the shed. Rear axle refitted with new seals. Various bit and pieces cleaned and resprayed. BUT today the new chassis from Richards arrived seven this morning. :D Very happy with it indeed.

Cost of parts this last two weeks.

Seals/ brake, clutch cylinders, mountings, all axle 'U' bolts,track rods etc. £81.08, £94.76

Sure starts to add up:shocked: But I am treating this vehicle as my next car and want it to see me out!

2010-11-16 Rebuild.jpg

2010-12-09 New chassis.jpg

Hi. Yes the parts book looks like it has never been used. My mate has some intresting paperwork, need to spend a little time with Him going through it. Did see typed sheets on waterproofing and other documents for Landie's including a file on P.T.O. driven Sankey's.

Any way, recieved the panels today. A Landi fan indeed, great chap and very knowlegable on galv./ metal protections. Shown me how to make and jig the bulk head on the new chassis before I remove any old panels. Slightly thicker plate than origional, finished really well indeed. Total cost of the eight panels £147. (Do folks find it usefull me quoting prices? Give anyone a idea what a restoration may cost)

Andy.

Andy If you don't mind me asking where did you obtain these repair panels from please?

Thanks Wayne

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have been doing a bit over the last few weeks.

All springs, suspension parts checked, bushes fitted where required and sprayed.

One shock regards price of a parts. The bottom of spring mounting plate for the shock absorber,

£67.00 plus vat. each!! Quite worn and new bushings still allowed 'slop'.

Needless to say back to the workshop to repair and machine.

Steering box allso found to have water in it :embarrassed:, again lucky no rust damage. Cleaned and resprayed.

Front axle, no water ingress :-). Allso no pitting to the swivels allthough the rotten gaiters were holding mud etc. Still going to fit new swivel seals, so more parts Sat.

2010-11-20 Airportable restoration (6).JPG

2010-12-31 Restoration.JPG

2010-12-31 Restoration (6).JPG

You never know what your going to find with a restoration!

As mentioned with the last post I had decided to replace the swivel seal just incase. Good job.

When the seal retaining ring was removed, I found that moisture ingress between the retaining ring and swivel casting has caused a great deal of corrosion to the metal body of the seal to the point that the seal started to fall apart,Chunks of rust/seal had fallen into the hub itself :shocked:. The pics. dont do the full horror of the rot.

Andy.

2011-01-07 Airportable restoration (2).JPG

2011-01-07 Airportable restoration.JPG

This week sorted a few more front axle seals out. £14.40

Rebuilt one swivel/hub. Just a little point of what I found under the grime, layers of paint. On the first coat of black on the axles the level plugs had been painted over roughly with a yellow and the plug top itself a dab of red paint. So if any one takes the micky about over restored etc., got photo evidence.

Thanks for the comments. Andy.

2011-01-12 Airportable restoration (2).JPG

2011-01-12 Airportable restoration (3).JPG

Oh if i could offer you one piece of advice it wolud be to fit the rear tub in place before the front bulkhead even if only tempory so you can shim the front bukhead into the corect position, do this with the door hinges set in their mid position so you can have some final adjustment. I fitted my bulkhead first and found the door was too big to fit in the gap even with the hinges fully forward:red:

Oh if i could offer you one piece of advice it wolud be to fit the rear tub in place before the front bulkhead even if only tempory so you can shim the front bukhead into the corect position, do this with the door hinges set in their mid position so you can have some final adjustment. I fitted my bulkhead first and found the door was too big to fit in the gap even with the hinges fully forward:red:
Thanks very much indeed for that tip. I was a little concerned with the collection of shims allthough I kept them with the bolts in the various holes. Thanks again.

Thanks Ruxy, looks like I need a tin of yellow paint.

Who started the thread on gasket paper, who forgot gaskets after traveling miles for seals :embarrassed: ?

Lucky I have a selection of paper in the shed. A bean tin was the exact dia. for the central hole (housing, swivel housing). What a job fitting the leather gaiter, even worse soaked in vasaline, having a FFR allways keep a jar handy :D. Allso a good job I understood how to double stitch, it does leave a very tidy seam.

2010-01-15 Airportable restotation.JPG

2010-01-15 Airportable restotation (15).JPG

2010-01-15 Airportable restotation (17).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Your doing some nice work, i think the parts/prices are helpfull also.

Im thinking about a dutch lightweight as another project, but its alot worse than your first picture, lots of missing parts, its free, but probably better to buy a complete one.

Keep up the work, and pictures coming.!

Cheers

Shaun