My first Landrover Restoration.

airportable

Thanks Shaun. I allways try and do a little every day even if it's just looking what to do next.

From a past job and what a mate or two have started and 'had a break from the project' it can some times be hard to pick up the spanners again, especially in winter.

Any way, front axle sorted. Not sure wether to refit the free wheeling hubs or return to origional.

Brake servo , pedal assy. Track rods sorted. Clutch pedal, assy. all cleaned ,sprayed. Looks like only seal kits required for the clutch, brake master cylinders. Air cleaner etc. sorted.

I have found it easy to use primer, finish coat in aresol paint. Not the cheapest way but I find parts can be finished, wrapped and packed a few parts at a time. It is surprising how much a quality aresol will do.

On the clutch pedal assy. A point I have found, that you may know anyway. On my Airportables the pedal pivot shaft has a 1/4 UNF bolt/fibre washer in the end of the shaft. Removed the bolt for cleaning, realised if I fit a grease nipple the bronze bearings can be lubricated, then refit the bolt. Just a thought.

Black aresol...£7.61

Andy.

2011-01-24 Airportable restoration.jpg

2011-01-24 Airportable restoration (3).JPG

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that is a good idea.

Can you get to it once it is reassembled?

Mike

Yes, just had a look on 54 HG 12. Plenty of room allthough the brake pipe work on mine may have to be eased 1/8" or so. That end of the pin faces towards the engine.

The bronze bushes in the pedal have a central void for grease/oil.

Andy.

Thats a good idea andy,

Its always good to look at things From a different view, and when its your own project and not a customers you can take extra time to do mod's like that.

But once you have pumped grease into it, wipe off the excess, or the overspill will ruin your nice clean engine bay.

Cheers

Shaun

(i will try and put up a picture here on weekend for you to see the lightweight i have been offered)

Hi Shaun. Good luck with the airportable you have been offered. Pics. of it will be of intrest.

That clutch pedal pin is not a mod. of my own. My Ser. III FFR and this 79' GS both have that 1/4" bolt which can be removed to give access to having a nipple fitted to lubricate the shaft/bush. Do all Ser. III's have this or just Airportables? I will pop the bolt back in after lubrication.

Andy.

On my Airportables the pedal pivot shaft has a 1/4 UNF bolt/fibre washer in the end of the shaft. Removed the bolt for cleaning, realised if I fit a grease nipple the bronze bearings can be lubricated, then refit the bolt. Just a thought.

Andy.

That is what the hole is for! I read ages ago in one of the Land Rover manuals that you insert a angled grease nipple in there to service the pivot. No idea why it is supposed to be removed again and the bolt refitting?

Hi Shaun. Good luck with the airportable you have been offered. Pics. of it will be of intrest.

That clutch pedal pin is not a mod. of my own. My Ser. III FFR and this 79' GS both have that 1/4" bolt which can be removed to give access to having a nipple fitted to lubricate the shaft/bush. Do all Ser. III's have this or just Airportables? I will pop the bolt back in after lubrication.

Andy.

Mmmm Andy I will have a look at 33GF13 and see what she has in contrast or similarity to yours. Keep up the good work matey.

Any idea when this vehicle was manufactured, I worked at a local Army camp in 1968/69 & was there when these LR's were released to the Army, apparently they would be kept 7 years and then released to the public, can remember getting to work one morning and there was a hell of a flap on, some one had tried to pinch one the previous night & drive it through a chain link fence, but the fence stopped it, couldn't see the point as who ever tried to nick it would have had to try and hide it for the 7 years.

'Little bits' not materialized today :embarrassed:. Little more done, front brakes rebuilt, axle painted.

More parts bought. Five wheels/6.50 tyres sorted :). Origional new Airportable seat belts allso, collect in a couple of weeks.

Parts.....paint £17.40

clutch master cylinder, flex. brake pipe and seal kits £41.40.

2011-01-29 Airportable Restoration (4).JPG

2011-02-05 Airportable restoration.JPG

2011-02-05 Airportable restoration (2).JPG

Good work, where did you get the seatbelts from, I could do with some new ones for mine.
Thanks. Seat belts,

www.johnrichardssurpless.com

Not cheap! The older type, need to adjust for each driver. Not many left, yet to see them.

Today a few more bits arrived from the chap I bought my Landi. off. Has yet to find a few more parts, including that data plate.

Recieved the correct steering wheel, grill :), wiper shaft/assy. bench seats, underwing tool box :),a part I will post pic.,dont know what it was for, still has traces of UN white paint. AND the split tail gate folding number plate bracket assy. light/wireing loom. I personly have never seen this still on a Airportable, so that is a must for refitting.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at what jobs in the restoration I need to plan now for the rebuild, hopefully not too far away.

Question. Has anyone bought and fitted a new wiring loom for a Landi. and in partic. a Airportable, if so who can you recommend?

The reason being (first glance thought loom taken out o.k.) last night started to look it over and thought how hard the wires were. From past times as a ag. fitter I know how wires in a loom can have the copper core turn black and britttle. I dont want to rebuild to find I get a break when pulling through chassis, bulkhead etc. Any one gone through this process?

Like I have said a time or two, I'm planning that this may be the vechicle to see me out.(fuel costs permitting!)

Andy.

Thanks for that.

Just gave them a call, very helpfull. 12v. complete harness in stock, next day del. £290.85, all in all that does not sound a bad price.

Oh my. What to do? Do I risk the old one with a few repairs?

I am putting NOS wiring looms in my M151A2... it's not cheap, but at least you know it'll be right. No missing plugs, poor connections, corroded terminals, previous owner bodges etc! If you've got a new chassis, you might as well treat it to some new wires!

Thanks, never a truer word spoken. Think I've made my mind up to get new. Hope my model makers lathe sells!

Any way collected the five wheels and tyres today allong with the new Airportable seatbelts.

Real chuffed, the 6.50 tyres still have paper labels on, excelent condition.Just need to remove the ice studs. :nut: The genuine seat belts still in boxes with all the fittings,bolts and washers.

Flex. brake pipes (gen.)x2 Total cost £226.00

If of intrest, part no. of 6.50x16 Goodyear Hi-Miler/studded (see pic. of label)

Seat Belt LH Set RTC6792

Seat Belt RH Set RTC6791

2011-02-21 Airportable restoration.JPG

2011-02-21 Airportable restoration (2).JPG

2011-02-21 Airportable restoration (3).JPG

Totally agree that it is worth putting in a new loom if doing a ground up rebuild. either bought or knocked up yourself, if not available or over priced. Price youve been given seems pretty good to me, probably cost more to make your own, forgetting time.

Personally never quite sure about NOS tyres as they have a shelf life which is affected by how and where they are stored.

Mike