upside down tanks

fesm_ndt

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eddy8men

no, it came from australia :-)

really there were some nice late production mk4s and mk5 delivered --oh your having a laugh:nut::D:-)

looks like there is a remnants of a number on the right and possibly a red white red marking on the left (drivers side)

Steve

Edited by steveo578

• 4 weeks later...

i don't hate shermans just the people that drive them :D just kidding, the sherman was a great tank, much better than every other tank when it entered service. good gun, armour, mobility and reliability the crews loved them. what gets me is the guys at the top that kept churning them out til the end of the war when it was past it's best, i often think if they had to go into battle with them there may have been an improvement or two in hull design/armour and muzzle velocity but i suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing.

the sherman was a good tank, infact i'm planning on getting one. like i said don't blame the tank blame the guys at the top

eddy

can i have the cromwell manuals now

Adrian Barrell

Nope, Eddy hates Shermans and their family!

Offer him one and then count how many fingers you still have as he bites your hand off to get it like a hungry lion. I heard him wax lyrical about M10s and that's a sherman-ish vehicle. :cool2:

Steve

of course you can, i'll swap you for a matilda 2 and a valentine :cool2:

eddy

hmmm so a matilda 2 and a valentine are better :-D

Wondering whilst leaving if one has opened an armoured can of worms

http://www.mheaust.com.au/Aust/Research/Matilda/Markings%20WW2.htm

and a Matilda wreck, but still not upside down http://www.pacificwrecks.com/tank/matilda/buin.html

• 4 weeks later...

As Dijbouti was a French dependancy the M5A1 are probably ex French -even foreign legion target tanks -the Dijbouti forces fought against Eritrea with active French support but that was around 1991 so much later than the tanks wrecks shown -so possibly targets from an earlier period -the lack of a/t target holes suggests air targets. A few light truck components in there too

Yes very good -whoever is taking those photos has a hightened sence of history- note the photos of old painted adverts on the gable ends of buildings and the collection of 'phones -brilliant.

The wrecks of which some of the cars seem to be in Europe shows some important stuff. tank and MV wise huge numbers of various GMCs Dodges and Macks the Sherman is probably a M4A4(T), there is the inevitable wrecked T54 not a T55 as stated in the caption, the H/tracks are M16s which were only turned in by the French Army in Europe in the late 1970- early 80s. The aircraft are pretty good too -Dassault Super Mystere great stuff.

The thing which I find most striking is what could be a Panhard AMD 178 dating from between the wars (the later model turret lies between the M5A1 and the A/C), sitting in the sea surrounded by the M5A1s- perhaps a vandal act of disposing of a gate guard :-(. Perhaps a scrapyard might still yield up one of the Coventry ACs sold to France in 1945, I can but hope.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
addition Mle 178 turret

good drive:nut::D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39617[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39618[/ATTACH]

looks like that would be a bitch to sort our recovery wise

just noticed those are two different tanks or at least same tank in different place

Edited by cosrec