Loyd Carrier

Good work Alastair.....engine looking nice and fresh....good to see theframe is slowly turning into "Loyd".

I was informed this week on the Loyd Carrier social network:-D that a freshly restored Loyd is going up forsale soon, if anyone is interested I can forward your details to the owner.

I have a feeling it might be a Dutchie(?)

I was informed this week on the Loyd Carrier social network:-D that a freshly restored Loyd is going up forsale soon, if anyone is interested I can forward your details to the owner.

Alastair,

do I have the vehicle listed in the surviving Loyd Carriers PDF file? Maybe you could get a more recent photo of the vehicle than the one in the list?

P-O

Made a productive parts trade this morning, Pete got some hard to find brake components for his Universal Carrier project and I got an original tow spring with hook and a pair of British made Carrier bogies, a nice comparison set with one cast unit and one fabricated. Does anyone have four good wheels and one track return roller?

9284664714_0bb7f0a94d.jpg

9284666634_194cf7f380.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

9359085967_efd6158dbd.jpg

HT leads made up and installed.

9359087147_e64de409d1.jpg

Carb sand blasted and rebuilt with kit from the USA, just need to make up the 1/4" fuel line from the pump. The pump was cleaned up but has had the valves removed and the diaphragm replaced with a steel plate, fuel pumping will be from an electric pump via the mechanical pump so that engine looks stock.

The coil was a gift from a chap at work (thanks Mike), it is mounted on the original mounting that goes with the Crab distributor, eventually is will be changed for an original head mount with RF suppressor or a Ford USA Bakelite coil.

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

Well I must be setting a trend....the number of Loyd Carrier restoration projects in England has gone up to four including mine, with one brought at auction from the Victory museum also coming to the UK as far as I'm aware that puts it up to five! I have been searching for parts the last 3 years and haven't come up with much.....some people have all the luck :embarrassed:

Edited by ajmac

Well I must be setting a trend....the number of Loyd Carrier restoration projects in England has gone up to four including mine, with one brought at auction from the Victory museum also coming to the UK as far as I'm aware that puts it up to five! I have been searching for parts the last 3 years and haven't come up with much.....some people have all the luck :embarrassed:

But when you consider the relative starting points, Alastair, your sense of satisfaction when you finish yours will be immense :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Paul I collected a complete tow spring, I only need the rear plate for clamping the hook to the spring but it was as easy to take the assembly.

9528911363_558c9e538c.jpg

9531688780_9dbac85718.jpg

I was hoping that the rear x-tube would not need dismantling totally, but sadly to fit it, it does as a blast had forced the mounting brackets inwards meaning that it will not travel up the chassis taper enough to reach the mounting position, it ended about 1" short.

9531687902_2e5720bd80.jpg

One of the front x-tube mounts is being repaired using some parts salvaged from a good mount taken from a broken x-tube on the second Loyd wreck.

9528907923_f3b96ed4d7.jpg

Although it may not look like it, the above mount is the good one! I cut through the weld to remove the clamp block and then cut the undamaged clamp block from another mount.

9528908313_4ed9449165.jpg

Oh and....I have sourced a pair of Loyd fuel tanks, an engine cover and a complete body from Holland as a swap for some Loyd exhaust parts, just got to go and collect it now :-)

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for adding those interesting photos Rob. Looks rather original to me, notice the missing fuel tanks where the track covers have rotted through. I wonder where it spent its post war life before ending up in the museum? I am looking for an original Loyd hood, any condition, just to use as a template. There are at least two types, one that will suit mine and a earlier version with internal partition for the TPC and TS&C which used the bench seat. Any clues?

After a very long day in the Discovery I came home with a camera full of photos of a 1943 Loyd Carrier - Tracked Towing project that was imported into the UK this year and is to be restored, I must thank the owner for the opportunity to climb all over such a rare original condition machine, invaluable!

9782572685_e993185339.jpg

Interesting detail of the original Exhaust system.

9782401382_ab4a34b690.jpg

Late type dash with all original wiring still in place.

On the way I collected eight Carrier wheels, some NOS with bearings and all but one made in the UK in 1943/44, thrown in with the deal were two NOS track return rollers. On the way back home I dropped in to see a fellow Carrier restorer and picked up a set of Bogies to be used until I can locate a set of British fabricated ones as were fitted on the range wreck. Thanks again Ben and keep up the good work, that Scout Carrier is credit to you!

9783605834_fbb651e0de.jpg

Izzy was happy about standing on the back of the car rather than what was inside :-)

To top off the day I had confirmation that I am now the owner of a Loyd rear axle complete with brake drums , thanks again Maurice; a forum member has kindly offered to collect it while on way to collect his new project from Europe. It's good this forum, isn't it :-)

Edited by ajmac

Started stripping the 8 wheels last night, quite easy in the end. Interestingly I have a mixed bag of wheels with Ball Race bearings and plain brass ones which are mentioned in the wartime Loyd manual....with the foot note that when encountered they should be replaced with ball bearings!

9824579356_444e1e852e.jpg

A couple of lengths of wood were used to give enough clearance for the race to be drifted clear.

9824540154_be76b33be5.jpg

The 40x110x27 mm Race Used in most carrier road wheels.

9824551575_b0ff9685e4.jpg

Plain Bearing found in one wheel....so far...

9824563006_90a888293b.jpg

Note oil grooves.

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...