Loyd Carrier

Don't know if it's of interest, but there is an article in this months (April) Classic Military Vehicle magazine on a restored Loyd carrier.

Been following all your hard work with interest, but it was nice to see some pictures of the chassis etc to understand what you have been working sooooo hard to achieve :-)

Oh, thanks, I will have to pick up a copy in the week, at a guess does it belong to Paul Visser, he has helped me out loads with my Loyd and I supplied parts for his exhaust system which he was missing.

My second Loyd is no more, it's official. Just some odds and ends done this weekend, a photo below of the front x-tube in place to see how bashed about it was.... answer...rather bashed. More work.

25032012479.jpg

Edited by ajmac

Great article, I would recommend April 2012 of CMV if you like this project, Pauls Loyd looks amazing!

Light nights :-D More work.

Two hours to remove the remains of the LHS front bogie from the x-tube without damaging the sacred tube within, I only have one of those and having to cut through the bogie then bash the sh#t out of it for 30 mins with a sledge hammer was a tough job. It's off and the x-tube looks fine, next to remove the chassis x-tube bracket...then do it all again on the opposite side!

Oh, also had a beer with Jenni at a friends house after to celebrate fitting the final gusset to the chassis and thus officially compleating ALL chassis work prior to shot blasting...yea!

PS. How can a greased, sealed interface which even has two large brass bushes, be so, so, so, stuck, even after hours soaking in Plusgas, F'd if I know. The manual says: Remove bogie retaining collar and slide off bogie assembly:rotfl:

26032012496.jpg

26032012494.jpg

Edited by ajmac

What is this coming around the corner?

6884154038_3903b766ff.jpg

Oh, a smooth turning USA 24 stud Flathead, 1940 - 42, joy of joys, and cost less than a couple of good road wheels!

6884153758_74bcaee2e3.jpg

Came with the correct truck style fan, which needs adjusting for the Loyd

7030255099_965d606bd2.jpg

and... a wartime capacitor to reduce radio interference...remember the electronic ignition plan?

7030255385_fef49a804f.jpg

Oh, couple of NOS drive sprockets as well, amazing what some people have behind there houses!

nice find on the flathead, this could be the year it starts to take shape and look like a vehicle instead of 2 ton of parts .

i just hope you have enough time to get stuck into it without being torn between the carrier, work and family speaking from my own experience juggling everything is the hardest part but then i suppose most of us are in the same boat/carrier :D

rick

this could be the year it starts to take shape and look like a vehicle instead of 2 ton of parts

Lets hope so Rick. How are your various projects coming along?

Did you know that in some parts of England they grow Loyd Carrier front axles....

31032012331.jpg

Will look good on my Carrier with those NOS sprockets I collected on Friday :-)

Edited by ajmac

how did you find that?Do you have a mystic 1800 line dial a Lloyd part number?

That's right, I asked them to do a search for a Ford Mondeo rear bumper and Carrier Axle while they were at it...... no, it came from a thoughtfull HMVF member who had been storing it for a project that never materialised.

did it come from a mutual friend of ours in wigan. ;) glad it's coming together. have you had any luck with the tracks ?

as for me nothing much is happening with the cromwell as i'm still waiting for the sandblasting but there's a rumour that it could be done this week although i won't get my hopes up just yet.

rick

Before the engine goes into storage I thought I would have a look at the internal condition, to my surprise it was mint, it must have been rebuilt, not doing many miles after the work, the bores are like new. Also I found out that although a 24 Stud it is infact a 3.6L 3 1/16" bore just like the wartime parts book says! The Merc unit was 3.9L like the other Flathead I purchased back in Jan 2011, that engine is totally stripped now, but requires a lot spending on it to get it running again, where as this unit can be a good runner with minimum outlay....hopefully just an acid dip, bore hone, repaint and a gasket set.

6906751708_41c08d8cb7_z.jpg

7052845077_02c41d1913_z.jpg

6906754028_b5de01bba0_z.jpg

6906756322_41b78a51e8_z.jpg

Edited by ajmac

Another lucky find at a very good price came today at a Lincoln transport open day in the form of a pair of wartime Butler side lights and a pair of Butler head lamps, all WD marked and with no corrosion. Even had good bulbs and silver reflectors!

08042012528.jpg

Tidy V8 Pilot at the event.

08042012531.jpg

08042012533.jpg

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[TD=width: 55%, bgcolor: #CCCC99]1 each Bren Gun Carrier/ T16 Lloyd carrier hull, only for static display.

One each very rare French 8X8 EBR reconnaissance vehicle with 76mm main gun for sale, restoration project

Please specify in your e mail your full address and landline telephone number. Thank you very much for your comprehension.

This is on milweb

Army Cars Germany: 0049 151 53917532

[/TD]

[TD=width: 22%]

bs.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

cs.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]

ds.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

es.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

He needs to change his add, he doesn't have any more Loyd parts, I asked a couple of months ago. However I have been in contact with a fellow Loyd enthusiast in Norway who has more than one restoration project and spare parts cash that we are currently chatting about :-)

If you have his spare parts, I'll take his spare cash.........:)

e's are in very short supply at the moment don't you know, in Lincoln they are going on the black market for hundreds of pounds a pair, that's if you can get them! I've had to take out a loan just to prevent this post looking like this....

's ar in vry short supply at the momnt don't you know, in Lincoln thy ar going on the black markt for hundrds of pounds a pair, that's if you can gt thm! I've had to tak out a loan just to prevnt this post looking lik this....

Edited by ajmac

I collected these from a chap with a press who had flattened out the worst of the twists that I couldn't cope with at home, looks good to me. You can see the two drivers floor stiffeners and the rear chassis brace.

13042012542.jpg

This is a photo of the brace when it was on the wreck.

RearBrace.jpg

13042012541.jpg

Edited by ajmac

• 1 month later...

Not much, I have been tinkering with my Discovery and XK8 while I wait for the engine parts to come back from the Acid dippers. Work has also been a bit busy, been in Qatar, nice and warm!

• 1 month later...