Loyd Carrier

• 2 months later...

The post from New York arrived yesterday and I could complete the Flathead V8 distributor and over the next few weeks complete the engine build. I cracked the labyrinth seal insert when stripping the block and has taken until now to source a remanufactured part, I can now put the crank in and continue.

Photos below show the distributor in completed form.

As you may remember http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?19549-Loyd-Carrier&p=304476#post304476 I brought it from ebay in a sorry state and rebuilt it; as I am using electronic ignition the wartime capacitor is retained just for looks. The brass nut to hold the LT lead was missing but searching through the parts from the range wrecks I found what I was looking for.... one sliver of smashed cast iron bodied distibutor with the nut and a shred of cable still attached!

Finished_split.jpg

The Cap retaining clips were rather corroded and for $4 I couldn't resist a set of reproductions from California, they came complete with brass pins.

Finished.jpg

Edited by ajmac

Borrowed a couple of vintage Flathead V8 distibutor timing jigs from a friend down the road (thanks Drew), setup was done last night and went without problems. Total dwell from the duel points was 35 degrees of cam rotation, but the main reason for using the jig was to set point opening point so that ignition timing is as good as it can by in a static sense. As there are no timing marks of a pre 1950s Flathead V8s it is impossible to time the engine dynamically. However during my rebuild I will add scribed marks to enable dynamic timing with a strobe.

I also completed the clean and rebuild of the oil pump, the bottom plate required a skim to remove the scoring from the gears but it all checks out like new as far as clearence goes. I need to source suitable stock to make a new pin to hold the drive gear in place, hence it being missing in the photo.

Finally I have borrowed a 1956 Flathead V8 manual to copy, it is hugely detailed, making the wartime service manuals look basic in comparison!

UK_Jig.jpg

1950s Churchill Ford distributor static setup jig, configurable for Lucas, and Ford type Flathead distributors.

US_Jig.jpg

USA manufactured jig that does the same as the Churchill version, possibly 1940s.

DSC_0621.JPG

1956 Service manual.

OilPump.jpg

Oil pump is made from three others, body from a 59A, idle gear and pickup tube (not visable) from 1941 and pump housing bottom plate from the Loyd range wreck!

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

The engine is back at home now to be worked on in a nice warm workshop rather than the farm!

Crank went back in fine once the x-drillings had been thoroughly cleaned out, it is all being built with cam lube to ensure it is lubricated after months on the workshop before going into the carrier. The cam drive is a bitza, the cam in from a post war 59A (1945-48) with the Aluminium drive gear from the Loyd range wreck, it has a little damage but only superficial. The engine I am rebuilding had the fibre gear which I wasn't too happy to re-use.

8150081393_7cc12522d9_z.jpg

8150107750_9dd40910c9_z.jpg

The paint is just a primer to keep the corrosion at bay before the final coat of Ford Dark green gets sprayed on once the engine is built up. I am still missing a few parts, well, not exactly missing but just not ready to be refitted. The clutch pressure plate is in pieces in a box, cleaned, but not yet assembled as I need to find a source for needle rollers!

8150107700_837d49dc8c_z.jpg

As it appeared shortly after purchase earlier in the year.

Edited by ajmac

• 1 month later...

After a 455 mile round trip the Loyd project has a good condition ex-Norwegian 1943 dated front axle with drums, the diff and one drum turn too! Many thanks to both Clive Hughes and Bob Grundy.. There is a bit of history with this axle, it was purchased from a Norwegian scrap dealer in 1986 with a batch of other Universal Carrier parts. When it was found that it was in fact Loyd rather than Universal it was of no use and left in the back of a lean too, it then changed owners but not location. It changed owners again this year and has moved to Lincoln....after 26 years sitting in the same spot.

8275198703_159189a94a_z.jpg

8275198345_c0b246d52b_z.jpg

I now have enough brake componants to complete the vehicle, and three good brake drums, does anyone have a Loyd drum to make to a full set? Due to some slight issues with rear chassis alignment I need to restore the back axle sooner rather than later as it seems it needs to go on first and then act as a datum for the rest of the back half of the machine! Trouble is one track adjuster has blast damage, bu**er, yet again :-(

Edited by ajmac

After a 455 mile round trip the Loyd project has a good condition ex-Norwegian 1943 dated front axle with drums, the diff and one drum turn too! Many thanks to both Clive Hughes and Bob Grundy.. There is a bit of history with this axle, it was purchased from a Norwegian scrap dealer in 1986 with a batch of other Universal Carrier parts. When it was found that it was in fact Loyd rather than Universal it was of no use and left in the back of a lean too, it then changed owners but not location. It changed owners again this year and has moved to Lincoln....after 26 years sitting in the same spot.

8275198703_159189a94a_z.jpg

8275198345_c0b246d52b_z.jpg

I now have enough brake componants to complete the vehicle, and three good brake drums, does anyone have a Loyd drum to make to a full set? Due to some slight issues with rear chassis alignment I need to restore the back axle sooner rather than later as it seems it needs to go on first and then act as a datum for the rest of the back half of the machine! Trouble is one track adjuster has blast damage, bu**er, yet again :-(

Hope Clive didn't charge storage ! 26 years @ £... per week !

Maybe you dropped lucky and Bob will get the bill from Clive next week ...

Hope Clive didn't charge storage ! 26 years @ £... per week !

Maybe you dropped lucky and Bob will get the bill from Clive next week ...

No bill was handed over but tea and biscuits were :-D There is a lot of good will floating around when the guys have been in the hobby for so many years....you could almost say 'since the beginning'.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just arrived back from Fun Farm, the ball pit and hundreds of screaming kids reminded me to update the blog.

Even though the last post was concerning the acquisition of a front axle, most of the resent work has been on the back of the machine. The rear axle mounts bolt through the chassis and through the towing attachment arms, such that all items need to be in perfect condition before assembly. When I dug out the four arms I had from the two Loyds it was plain that only two would be usable, luckily I had a right and left! The right needs a heat and bend, but the left had to have the front face cut off so that new metal could be welded in place. It is thick section so it is now at the fab shop to weld.

The front X-tube is also on the way to being dismantled, sadly all bogies has to be destroyed to save the tube, having said that the bogies were not in a usable condition to start with. Within the next couple of months the aim is to fit the x-tubes, drivers floor and rear towing equipment to the chassis. In summer I shall collect a replacement rear axle tube from Norway, I organized this last week after a fluke encounter....amazingly I need to thank my wife and Facebook for that lucky find!

8377378148_cf53e675d7_z.jpg

The good towing arm before blowing off the corroded bolts.

8376299649_f541a7769c_z.jpg

The poor left hand towing attachment with the front face cut off.

8376298481_d050b6a815_z.jpg

In comparison....Left arm, right arm and dog basket.

8376299107_f0f2f50ef7_z.jpg

Rear axle is impossible to part, are ideas?

8376292629_a5f1d9e458_z.jpg

Rear Step and track adjuster cover....needs repair.

Edited by ajmac

A couple more 'before' photos although as yet I don't have any after ones! These are the track adjuster anchor points, I ended up cutting parts from one to repair the other two, worked well to be honest. The final photo is the tow spring mount, if anyone has a wartime tow spring or hook available please PM me as I need one, my original spring is present but badly warped.

8377783316_d44ae4e748_z.jpg

8377783772_1be1fd29b2_z.jpg

I change jobs in March so work on the Loyd could grind to a halt, I suppose it depends on which third world country I end up in, hmmm!

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...
Amazing restoration thread , I really enjoyed reading about it . :-)

I wondered if you realised there was Pathe footage of Lloyd carriers on exercise available to watch ?

No I didn't, I'll have a look, thanks. I have had a look and can't find any Loyd hits with a quick search, what did you find it under?

Edited by ajmac

I think its under Mechanised Army , I've the clip saved but not on the laptop its on the main PC, I'll get it too you over the weekend . :-)

Rik the film I found that you have is of much earlier 1930's stuff, not found any film of 1940's Lloyd carriers

Edited by Nick Johns