Loyd Carrier

Great work Marco, I see you have now got that front upper armour that you were working on fully installed. I still have a long way to go, but that's the fun part, I've no idea what I am going to do with it once I've finished it:undecided:

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Marco I picked up a full British fabricated bogie for the Loyd at W&P along with some other choice items to help along the project. Not much (that means nothing) has progressed since W&P as I an busy on a major project to keep one of the Brent North Sea rigs in production. It may be my job but it is still dealing with old sh*t as some people love calling it!

• 4 weeks later...

Had a good weekend repairing the front axle breather and then putting the axle back together. The original diff was re-used along with its bearings as they were in fine condition. Even though a Loyd is a small machine, so much of it is heavy....that front axle is impossible to move once back in one peace!

22105909631_bb2464b123.jpg

Copper pig tail brazed onto the breather plug (This would have been the drain plug when the axle was designed for Trucks).

21907692750_a41edbce51.jpg

Diff is dated 8/5/1944, condition was near perfect - Thanks Bob Grundy!

22105896981_432bc1a483.jpg

Pulling the rebuilt Pinion carrier into the diff housing, original wartime bearings were used but sourced from another axle - Thanks Pete M

21907976518_8b1746b32c.jpg

Looking much better than it has in many a decade :-)

8275198703_159189a94a.jpg

When retrieved from Clives yard.

Edited by ajmac

Hi Alastair looking good.

I am happy I could help with the bearing.

I will have to catch up with you and pop over and have a look now I have finished harvesting and drilling.

I pulled my flat head block out on Sunday and started cleaning it down ready to rebuild.

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get some progress made before the new addition to the McMurray family arrives!

Completed the rebuild of the range target Torque Tube. If you know Loyds then you will know that they were designed with economy in mind and as such as many parts already in production as possible were utilized. The Torque Tube is from a Fordson 7V lorry, no alterations at all.

The Torque Tube was acid dipped and hot tanked them externally primed. In the rear end is a double set of roller bearings which run directly on the drive shaft and on a bearing sleeve which is pressed into the body of the Torque Tube. At the same end is a skew gear drive for the speedo, it all cleaned up well and was reused, the only new part being a leather grease seal which I sourced from a Ford parts dealer in New York.

In case you were wondering, there is no forward bearing for the drive shaft as it used the support given to it once engaged with the differential pinion.

22352884911_efa13f46d2_k.jpg

As removed from the range target in 2010.

22326285392_5d64477f60_k.jpg

New leather seal installed and original bearing sleeve, note zig zag split.

22100347289_e67be2ee7a_k.jpg

Original cleaned up and reused.

21716545464_1b1548ce23_k.jpg

All original parts cleaned up and greased.

22313270906_b9225f497f_k.jpg

Original drive shaft greaaed up and ready to insert in the tube.

22339322235_9a7a8e0c26_k.jpg

Shaft and bearings installed along with speedo drive.

22123606138_2639345715_k.jpg

Have you got a good surface on the pinion nut, for the oil seal in the tube to locate on ,as the diff in the Loyd sits slightly higher than the torque tube and the oil has a habit of leaking down hill !, Cheers.

Thanks for the tip Andrew, I swapped the pinion sealing nut the other day for one in near perfect condition......my only worry is that I am using a lip seal rather than a leather one.

I do not think that should be a worry about leather / rubber seal, and another tip is to not fill the diff all the way to the level plug, there is no need, and the oil will put less pressure on that seal so it does not leak down the torque tube. The vehicle was probably built on the "total loss system of oil " though! Cheers

The Gearbox and engine floor plates have been cut out and folded to shape based on the originals. I have the shot up range target ones and a set of badly corroded early Loyd floors which together gave enough information to build these replacements.

They are cut from 1.5mm steel. This afternoon I took the floors to Pete M's place and we worked through bending the plates and checking angles against the originals. The engine floors turned out perfect but the gearbox floors will need a little fettling to complete the install. Many thanks to Pete for his hard work and metalworking skill! After seeing my pile of Loyd scrap Pete offered to take all the fabricated bogie parts and try to build a good one....you know what, I think he can do it....he likes a challenge!

21848622914_ea1617be8e_z.jpg

Engine floor plates cut from 1.5mm steel sheet, I have yet to work out what the thumb shape cutouts were intended for.

22284527449_b957dec467_z.jpg

Following bending, they fit very well and just need the holes drilling for bolts and to clear the rivets. I still don't see the function of those rounded cutouts :confused:

22283651078_3a14acf4c9_z.jpg

Gearbox floor plates were 85% correct WRT angles which were a best guess due to the originals being badly corroded and bent. Some tweaks should see them well fitted.

21848626044_331c6513c9_z.jpg

Pete M has taken the remains of a couple of British fabricated bogies to try and build one complete unit.

Edited by ajmac

I still don't see the function of those rounded cutouts :confused:

My thought is that Ford might have used an existing tool to stamp out the panel. My WOA2 body is made up of several existing pressings. For example, it has a mounting for a rear view mirror, but one was never fitted in a WOA2. Also, the front doors used a pre-war pressing, and have a cut-out for an indicator arm, but again this was never used on a WOA2.

I think Ford's thinking was "Why make a new press tool when an existing one is good enough".

Don't be surprised if those little cut outs are for the brake cables to pass through for the rear drums?

Spot on Andrew. I just looked through some wartime Loyd photos and the brake cables go from the back plate down under the chassis rail and out of the photo...the only way they can get back up to the chassis crossmember where they are anchored is through the engine floor plate. Thanks.

My thought is that Ford might have used an existing tool to stamp out the panel. My WOA2 body is made up of several existing pressings. For example, it has a mounting for a rear view mirror, but one was never fitted in a WOA2. Also, the front doors used a pre-war pressing, and have a cut-out for an indicator arm, but again this was never used on a WOA2.

I think Ford's thinking was "Why make a new press tool when an existing one is good enough".

That's a very good point, the early Loyds took completed Ford chassis and and modified them to Loyd spec, if you look closely all the holes are still in the chassis rails for the missing lorry cross members, brake cable cutouts etc... However these plates are specific to the Loyd with an 'LY' part number prefix.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It seemed rather silly to turn the chassis over and then still have trouble moving it around so I have decided to rebuild the four bogies first, thus when the chassis is the right way up I can slide on the bogies and then push the Loyd outside to work on it if required. As I am still struggling for springs I had a look through the scrap pile as I remembered throwing away a couple of spring assemblies that were rusted solid and did not separate like the others.

A couple of hours later I have a good half a bogies set of correct Loyd springs, well worth the effort.

24298033235_a8d70f3c60_z.jpg

Cutting through the Cast Iron ball that sits between the spring and the cup in the bogie.

23669777634_f4b1e65f88_z.jpg

Once the ball was removed the assemble could be stripped.

24002419800_3037a75b7c_z.jpg

A happy ending.

24206444722_0e6dddb9aa_z.jpg

Two Bogies worth, left hand set came from the range target and are all UC springs, the right hand set are half from the range target and half from a Loyd scrapped in Holland.

Edited by ajmac

As the springs are coming along I decided to prepare the other bogie parts that I need to have ready. I will be building up two bogies initially, a third is already in good condition when I picked it up last year.

The bogie arms need the asbestos cup linings changing and the pivot shafts cleaning up. I have six or seven shafts but only managed to get three that had suitable bearing surfaces, these were cleaned up along with the support that hold the other end of the shaft in the body of the bogie. The two arms that were cleaned up had good bushes but in one the grease nipples have been broken off, there were extracted.

24430264396_76826171ab_z.jpg

23829673053_de872f1a38_z.jpg

24160881660_4980b93beb_z.jpg

24088681929_019239399e_z.jpg

24348173302_bb20e74668_z.jpg

24348173222_d3c70ca4d5_z.jpg

23829673103_01e98c63be_z.jpg