Loyd Carrier

Sometimes a deal comes along, and at £25, this was one :-) It is post war going by the thermoset handle, but wartime ones are like hens teeth! Appart from the handle the switchpanel is identical to the image in the Loyd parts book, it all works too. Thanks to Clive for prompting me to be on the look out for dash parts. Just need the CAV ammeter and a suitable British choke pull. 10141500635_70ce35f28c.jpg

10141405114_a6615d9d7e.jpg

The rear of the unit is complete, I removed the mounting bracket for this photo.

I have just setup a Facebook group that will only be updated with milestones, but have a look if you want, just search for Loyd Carrier.

Edited by ajmac

Nice one Alastair. Did you get the info on the clock companies i sent you.

Clive

I did Clive, however I will have to wait a little while before I get the new capillary on the water temperature gauge as it isn't cheap!

Edited by ajmac

I'm pretty sure that Jon Hickman's Staghound restoration project will be as complicated to achieve as your Loyd Carrier.

By the way Alastair, do you know where I could find a nice photo of an M4A2(76) HVSS in a private collection in UK and that is being used for the film "Fury"?

thanks

Pierre-Olivier

Not speaking for Alastair but the M4A2 76 HVSS in Fury is the Tank Museums.

There is plenty of footage of it on YouTube, just type in Sherman and Tankfest and it is sure to come up. I might have a photo but I have had a simplex network drive failure and have just about bu**er all photos to hand at the moment. Nearly lost all my restoration photos too!

I'm pretty sure that Jon Hickman's Staghound restoration project will be as complicated to achieve as your Loyd Carrier.

Jon sure has taken on a major project, but I've no doubts it will become a runner given time and enough lucky breaks concerning those hard to find parts.

What isn't shown on the photo was what he kindly collected from Holland for me....but more about that later...in all probability, if you are not a Loyd enthusiast with an excess of optimism it might look like a load of scrap :-) to me a slightly rough pile of unobtanium!

• 1 month later...

Work has usurped the loyd over the last few months, I have hardly been in the country, just got back from the US at lunch time today. Jon, Ben et al I will sort out the loose ends ASAP and collect / return all the outstanding. Thanks to all those who have liked the Carriers Facebook page. Promise to get more work done and documented over the next few months.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess ready by War & Peace then?

Well, if I were to get two months off work and a lump sum of say..£3k it would be possible, but with the amount of time that I have in hand to dedicate to the Loyd the poor think hasn't a chance in hell of being ready for at least another couple of years.

Well, if I were to get two months off work and a lump sum of say..£3k it would be possible, but with the amount of time that I have in hand to dedicate to the Loyd the poor think hasn't a chance in hell of being ready for at least another couple of years.

We now know what your Santa wish is :D [ATTACH=CONFIG]85201[/ATTACH]

What other bits are you missing now?

Edited by fesm_ndt