MV Starting

montie

Question

Hi guys,

I have been puzzled by this a while but never had the guts to ask.

I am rebuilding a South African Saracen, listed as a Mark3 SA and identical, and I mean identical, to the "Saracen 88". This vehicle is fitted with a plug underneath the radiator grill and I initially dismissed the thought that is was for a starting lever. Researching and reading through Saracen and other MV material, I realised that there are indeed an access points for a starting levers on most MV's.

My question is this, how agile and strong should one be to swing and start, for example the Rolls B80 engine in the Saracen, and I take it that it is a "small" engine by comparison? What am I missing?

Regards.

Monty.

20 answers to this question

Hi guys,

I have been puzzled by this a while but never had the guts to ask.

I am rebuilding a South African Saracen, listed as a Mark3 SA and identical, and I mean identical, to the "Saracen 88". This vehicle is fitted with a plug underneath the radiator grill and I initially dismissed the thought that is was for a starting lever. Researching and reading through Saracen and other MV material, I realised that there are indeed an access points for a starting levers on most MV's.

My question is this, how agile and strong should one be to swing and start, for example the Rolls B80 engine in the Saracen, and I take it that it is a "small" engine by comparison? What am I missing?

Regards.

Monty.

Hi Monty,

The 8 cylinder engines are quite easy to start providing the ignition timing is correct, carb is full of fuel and controls set. The more cylinders the better. Just remember to check that the gearbox is in Neutral, with handbrake on.

i have started my b60 from warm with starting handle very easy from cold not so , i suggest do it once prove you can do it and then well thats why they invented starters !!!starting handles can bite back.:cool2:

Monty

The key thing if you are using a starting handle is to keep the thumb on the same side of the handle as the fingers, to avoid injury, including fractures, if the engine backfires and the handle kicks back.

Rick

Hi all,

Daunting challaenge, I think I will rather save my little body for other stuff but it is good to know that it can be started in this way if you are desperate. Good idea to have large friends in the vicinity!! :cool2:

I hope that I will never be that despate as I can see myself being flung around like a rag stuck to the starting lever. I will rather try to jump start since pushstart is out of the question.

Breaking a starting lever, Boy, I'd never want to infuriate your dad !

Monty.

Hey Monty,

Yes we were surprised too! It snapped the welds clean around where the hexagonal piece seats into the female hex on the vehicle. It'd most likely been repaired badly at some point in its life, I highly doubt my dad can do that sort of damage :D

Regards

Hey Monty,

Yes we were surprised too! It snapped the welds clean around where the hexagonal piece seats into the female hex on the vehicle. It'd most likely been repaired badly at some point in its life, I highly doubt my dad can do that sort of damage :D

Regards

The hexagonal end is for undoing the starting hole plug :shocked:

My no 1 son used to start our Saracen by hand when the starter motor played up but it was a bit of a grunt! Tried it from cold once in the winter and failed I have to admit but from hot or even cold in warm weather it was ok. You can however start them by towing so long as you have enough grunt in the towing vehicle! Turn out hand throttle to a fast tickover position and if cold, operate starter control (Choke) Preselect 3rd and start to tow. AS SOON AS the vehicle moves, operate GCP and then immediately preselect neutral. As soon as vehicle is going fast enough (5 to 10 mph?), engine will rotate and then hopefully fire up. Soon as it starts, operate GCP to engage neutral, signal towing vehicle and apply brakes. Simples!

My no 1 son used to start our Saracen by hand when the starter motor played up but it was a bit of a grunt! Tried it from cold once in the winter and failed I have to admit but from hot or even cold in warm weather it was ok. You can however start them by towing so long as you have enough grunt in the towing vehicle! Turn out hand throttle to a fast tickover position and if cold, operate starter control (Choke) Preselect 3rd and start to tow. AS SOON AS the vehicle moves, operate GCP and then immediately preselect neutral. As soon as vehicle is going fast enough (5 to 10 mph?), engine will rotate and then hopefully fire up. Soon as it starts, operate GCP to engage neutral, signal towing vehicle and apply brakes. Simples!

Only ever managed to start my Matador on my own once, but with two people it's easy.....

I know of an Explorer, still fitted with a petrol, that had a modified crank handle. There was a wheel rim welded on the end of the shaft so that a rope could be wound round to make a pullstart :shocked:

I know of an Explorer, still fitted with a petrol, that had a modified crank handle. There was a wheel rim welded on the end of the shaft so that a rope could be wound round to make a pullstart :shocked:

Brilliant, owner obviously prefers wind up toys rather than push and go ones!

Brilliant, owner obviously prefers wind up toys rather than push and go ones!

Ouch!....That hurts!! It is only a stuffed bevel box on the front wheel and a TOTALLED reduction hub on a centre wheel stopping me from driving the Saracen!! We are getting there, slowly but surely, one of these days, we will add to the human race carbon footprint again!!:cool2:

Cheers,

Monty.

Ouch!....That hurts!! It is only a stuffed bevel box on the front wheel and a TOTALLED reduction hub on a centre wheel stopping me from driving the Saracen!! We are getting there, slowly but surely, one of these days, we will add to the human race carbon footprint again!!:cool2:

Cheers,

Monty.

Sorry Monty, I was talking about clockwork toys, no reference to your Saracen meant..:red:

Yesterday I was talking to a chap who used Explorers to lift out Saracen engines in Malaya, in order to replace the seal in the fluid flywheel, which where affected by the extreme heat, and didn't last long at all. He said that was the only thing that ever went wrong with them out there, and reckoned they are brilliant vehicles. If that's any consolation.

No worries mate, I am brilliant at jumping to conclusions and getting fit doing so. I should have read your mail with more care. It does show great camaraderie between you and croc, further highlighted when reading yours and his threads. (Would love an Explorer myself!)

Regards,

Monty.