Dodge WC51 electrical problems

Need help!

The battery of my Dodge WC 51 won't charge. I've had my generator and volt regulator checked at a local company and repaired but still the battery won't charge.

My Dodge is equipped with a Ampere meter and that seems to work just fine, if I start the engine it goes into the negative section and when I switch on the lights or blinkers you can see it go further into the negative section.

Might it be some massive short circuit somewhere that causes this or is it very unlikely?

Joris. I would first establish that the battery is capable of accepting a charge in its own right, by just charging it from a mains charger.

When you do this, disconnect the vehicle leads from the battery in case there is some drain despite the circuits being turned off.

If there was a "massive short circuit somewhere" the ammeter would show a discharge without anything else being turned on. Although a lower drainage of power may not be sufficient to show a discharge on the ammeter, but could be draining the power from your battery slowly & contiuously.

Edited by fv1609

I'll try to answer most questions.

- I can charge the battery with a battery charger

- When I run the engine and disconnect the battery the engine stops

- The generator has been in the Dodge for years should I re polarise it?

- I'll try the hammer trick ;)

You need to establish first that there is a voltage going to the field winding.

If it isn't getting there then you have a problem in the wiring to the regulator, in the regulator or its supply.

If it is getting there then check you have continuity in the field winding & its connections. If that's all ok then move on to the rest of the circuitary.

You need to establish first that there is a voltage going to the field winding.

If it isn't getting there then you have a problem in the wiring to the regulator, in the regulator or its supply.

If it is getting there then check you have continuity in the field winding & its connections. If that's all ok then move on to the rest of the circuitary.

How can I check these? Can you help me through it?

Joris, there ought to be two terminals on your dynamo D & F.

D is the main output & F is the field winding & it is this that must be supplied with a voltage to create a magnetic field. By controlling the current in the field winding you can regulate the output voltage from D.

So there must be the voltage applied to F & of course the other connection is through the earth. I am not familiar with wartime vehicles I assume the earth does provide a connection, sometimes it did not. If there are only two terminals on the dynamo then it has an earth return.

I would apply a voltmeter between F & earth & check for voltage with the ignition on. Easier to see is a test prod ie like a spikey screwdriver with a bulb inside & a cable with a clip. See what you get.