Tracked recovery and repair vehicles (modern)

plainmilitary

Dear Timbo,

Shame you dont post your real name, first and last.

I think you are very wise to get it tidy and running and then go at the major paint job.

I see a Supacat lurking in the corner and a Fox to name a few, are they all yours?

Do you need anything for your Supacat, we have tons of spares we wont use.

What about Supacat manuals etc

R

Robin

No, the Supacat isn't mine but I'll mention your offer to Andrew next time I see him - it might be of interest..

The way I figure it a mechanically good and tidy vehicle will always be worth more (and probably more fun, to me at least) than a half finished show standard restoration. Having said that I am full of admiration for those who have the time, patience and dedication to do a nut and bolt restoration - it just isn't me !

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent thanks will look fwd to that..

Just to clarify - the pic that shows what looks like a pile of scrap is actually what was left of the mudguards - new ones going on. One thing which you can't really see from the pic is that on the front mudguards there is a small cutout just where the shackles attach to the hull. On most CVRTs this doesn't seem to be there meaning that towing or recovery using the shackles leads to bent mudguards so could be a unit mod ?

Also the sprockets have all been replaced - pic is just to show how bad they were.

The tracks are quite rusty but when I looked at the pads they actually look pretty much brand new.

Should be up and running by end of this week. Painting will probably take a bit longer though !

You are correct, the metal plate behind the mud guards gets in the way of taking the shackles off and fitting the hollebone (towing A frame) adaptors so we bend the plates out of the way to make it easier, in time they end up in all sorts of shapes and rusty. It would have been a local mod to make cut outs so as to stop you having to bend them out of the way.

All track vehicles end up with rusty tracks during a period of inactivity however a good runout especially over cross country usually removes all the rust.:D

Basically a batch of vehicles would be ordered and yes they did come pretty much in sequence. The evidence of your Fox contradicts stuff that I thought I knew and I'd love to know how come it has a 00GM plate.

I know this is off topic, but when they were in service, I had dealings with a number of Foxes with GM numbers, and even HA.

(New topic?) Ref. CVR Reg. Nos. As far as I can remember all our other Foxes were **FD**, the highest numerically that I can recall was 11FD20. One day, I must go through my old photos and at least list the Reg. Nos. I joined in 1975 when we had Saladin, Saracen and Ferret (01DA22 was an odd one I recall, most of ours were **BA**)

Ah, memories!

• 3 years later...
Just thought that I'd flick this thread back up

Tim is the Samson running now?

Hi Andy

Erm.....well, sort of.....err no actually! Lovely recon engine fitted and it has been run up once or twice but Im afraid to say my attention has been focused elsewhere over the last couple of years, most notably getting the Spartan painted, changing the engine in the Sabre, acquiring a Saladin....oh, and working to pay for all this flipping stuff. So for the moment she remains languishing in the back of the shed. I have however just disposed of one of my bigger projects so I am getting closer..!

Cheers

Tim

Hi Andy

Erm.....well, sort of.....err no actually! Lovely recon engine fitted and it has been run up once or twice but Im afraid to say my attention has been focused elsewhere over the last couple of years, most notably getting the Spartan painted, changing the engine in the Sabre, acquiring a Saladin....oh, and working to pay for all this flipping stuff. So for the moment she remains languishing in the back of the shed. I have however just disposed of one of my bigger projects so I am getting closer..!

Cheers

Tim

I know how it is I have a similar problem :-D