Tracked recovery and repair vehicles (modern)

plainmilitary

Behind all great Military vehicles is a greater recovery and repair vehicle. With-out these guys and gals around most Armies would soon come to a grinding halt. The following pictures are all modern British and cover all the current stock of tracked R&R.

MLRS - RV.

SA1.jpg

SA16.jpg

CRARRV.

SA2.jpg

SA17.jpg

Warrior MCRV.

SA3.jpg

SA6.jpg

SA21.jpg

Warrior MRV ®

SA9.jpg

SA8.jpg

SA24.jpg

FV434.

SA5.jpg

Samson.

SA14.jpg

Viking- RRV.

SA20.jpg

SA23.jpg

SA12.jpg

BV206 - RRV

SA22.jpg

Tony

Edited by plainmilitary

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last one is the Viking repair and recovery vehicle the one marked Viking RV (XC52AA) is a standard Viking BvS10, its not easy getting the captions in the right place.

Great pics

Well done Steve, you spotted the deliberate mistake HEHE. I didn't have a picture of a front shot of the Viking RRV so thought I would stick a standered one on. was hopeing no one would notice, how wrong can one man be....

Replacement now posted..

Tony

The photo of the BvS10 was a good one too and RRV photos are a bit like hens teeth at the moment, an interesting vehicle. I'm actually surprised that it has the full machine gun mount.

Steve

Edited by steveo578

The photo of the BvS10 was a good one too and RRV photos are a bit like hens teeth at the moment, an interesting vehicle. I'm actually surprised that it has the full machine gun mount.

Steve

Hello Steve

Thanks to Andy I have a full spec sand blaster version (ASTAN) up as well for you. The 206 is a rare one for me, not to many of these about.

Tony

Fab pics and much more useful than a bl**dy great gun..(unless you're being shot at of course !).

I have a Samson which I love dearly but talking to REME guy the other day and he told me they never actually used them that much due to the relatively low pull. More often than not they'd just use the Foden 6x6 off a straight pull to avoid messing about with all the pulleys etc. , and there weren't that many places the Foden couldn't reach..

timbo

More often than not they'd just use the Foden 6x6 off a straight pull to avoid messing about with all the pulleys etc. , and there weren't that many places the Foden couldn't reach..

That's very debateable, Fodens are really road vehicles, the old hands used to reminisce about Scammell SV and Explorer and again this is debatable too. The Foden shown in the photos put its near side wheels onto the soft edge of the road to allow a Land Rover to pass and was promptly bogged down requiring a self recovery.

Steve

Foden EKA..jpg

Foden EKA 2..jpg

on boggy terrain everything gets bogged down...and the scenario you mention is the worst, three wheels off road three on...bad news indeed...I would have made the landrover stay, and then swung the crane over and lifted him up to counterbalance the weight and so help the truck to un stick itself...done it a lot with my 4 x 2 non off road crane which gets stuck even if it sees a muddy patch let alone going off road...but i have the vehicles to unstick most of them now...

The fodens a good old bus ,crewed one in the gulf with 26 fd ra and ended up dragging a fully crewed and bombed up m109 from one fire mission to the next through the desert and the old girl did well ,got a bit stuck now and then but made it to every fire mission on time (just).

eddy

Unfortunately the Landy was a farmer- if it had been Army I would have hoped he would have backed up a few yards onto a disused A/T platform - I couldn't believe it when the Foden drove onto the verge to let him through, something I did fairly regularly to allow other vehicles through, but no problem for a 600Kg car. The recovery was fairly straight forward, although I've never liked seeing crews banging anchors into the ground,- being mindful of the amount of UXO around.

Fab pics and much more useful than a bl**dy great gun..(unless you're being shot at of course !).

I have a Samson which I love dearly but talking to REME guy the other day and he told me they never actually used them that much due to the relatively low pull. More often than not they'd just use the Foden 6x6 off a straight pull to avoid messing about with all the pulleys etc. , and there weren't that many places the Foden couldn't reach..

Have to disagree with you there old chap, I've done many a decent recovery task in Bosnia and Kosovo in the mountains that you just wouldn't get a Foden anywhere near. Yes can be a pain laying out a 4 to 1 tackle but a great workhorse and really looking forward to the winch upgrade when it finally gets rolled out.

how very dare you sully these hallowed pages of recovery vehicles with that dirty great engineer vehicle.:-d:-d

lmfao...................................

Here are a few snaps of the CRARRV at work. The first recovery was a CHARRV, as you can see from the first pic, it's not all straight forward recovery. The chock in the rear sprocket is a safety device. It was removed before the recovery started.

SA30.jpg

SA35.jpg

SA31.jpg

The next set of pics are the training aid teams setting up a crashed Cheiftain. Again, nothing simple about this recovery. The training aid was pulled over from flat ground onto it's turret by just the one CRARRV.

SA32.jpg

SA33.jpg

SA34.jpg

Lastly a sad sad sight, a poor old Centurion RV training aid......

SA36.jpg

Edited by plainmilitary

Have to disagree with you there old chap, I've done many a decent recovery task in Bosnia and Kosovo in the mountains that you just wouldn't get a Foden anywhere near. Yes can be a pain laying out a 4 to 1 tackle but a great workhorse and really looking forward to the winch upgrade when it finally gets rolled out.

Glad to hear it ! Just checked out your website and will deffo have to have a good look at it when I have more time. Any good Samson pics on there ?

eddy8men

The fodens a good old bus ..........got a bit stuck now and then but made it to every fire mission on time (just).

eddy

Deserts are often kinder to heavy wheeled vehicles than European or temperate conditions, consider the number of Classic WW2 AFVs that swanned around the North African desert, Sinai, Iraq even in the Qatarra depression, heavy 4 x 4s like the AEC and the classic German 8 wheelers Sdkfz 231. Indeed apart from areas of Beau Gest sand dunes (date box terrain) heavy wheeled vehicles did very well in deserts- possibly better than tracked vehicles due to reduced mechanical strain.

Anyway you didn't say why the M109 was so unwell - transmission failure perhaps?:cheesy:

regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

very valid point steve, the deserts of iraq are generally flat and stoney ,so not too much of a challenge i suppose, but you know how things are with vehicles you've been around for a while,they sort of grow on you.

ref the m109 fault the pack was diagnosed as lacking power so the turbo's were replaced then when that didn't work the gearbox was replaced and when that didn't work it was too late to carry on trying to fix it so me and the recce mech had to drag it around the battlefield from one fire mission to the next,which was a bit hairy as we were in a foden and everyone else had armour plus once they'd finish a fire mission they'd all pack up sharpish and scoot off so as not to get hit by iraqi counter battery fire,trouble was we were still stuck there trying to get the hollybones attatched to the back of the 109 in the dark. Still, no harm done and the war was soon won and we all went home for tea and medals :-)

the fault on the pack turned out to be the electric fuel pumps fitted to the tanks (a 20 min job)very common fault on the 109 and 578.

the offending 109 with me posing

eddy

phot's 002..jpg

Interesting. An an Armd Recce Regt in BAOR about 1980, we had all the CVR(T)s that were on our establishment, but I am quite sure our LAD did not have Samson. I don't think they had 432: Memory suggests some big wheeled beasty.

very valid point steve, the deserts of iraq are generally flat and stoney ,so not too much of a challenge i suppose, but you know how things are with vehicles you've been around for a while,they sort of grow on you.

ref the m109 fault the pack was diagnosed as lacking power so the turbo's were replaced then when that didn't work the gearbox was replaced and when that didn't work it was too late to carry on trying to fix it so me and the recce mech had to drag it around the battlefield from one fire mission to the next,which was a bit hairy as we were in a foden and everyone else had armour plus once they'd finish a fire mission they'd all pack up sharpish and scoot off so as not to get hit by iraqi counter battery fire,trouble was we were still stuck there trying to get the hollybones attatched to the back of the 109 in the dark. Still, no harm done and the war was soon won and we all went home for tea and medals :-)

the fault on the pack turned out to be the electric fuel pumps fitted to the tanks (a 20 min job)very common fault on the 109 and 578.

the offending 109 with me posing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25120[/ATTACH]

eddy

Which unit was that, was it 2nd Field Regt RA by any chance? A mate of mine (Recy Mech) had a similar story of dragging a 109 from fire mission to fire mission, think it was on the back of a 578 though if memory serves.

no it was 26 fd,they were originally an abbott regt but the great minds at the top decided to retrain them on 109's for deployment to the gulf,i was originally from 49 fd which was a 109 unit in lippstadt but the regt and guns got split up to bring the other regt's up to strength.

this is why the abbott trained reme didn't find the fuel pump fault straight away.

the recy mech was l/cpl daz bibby from blackburn a good bloke (for a recy mech)

eddy

Interesting. An an Armd Recce Regt in BAOR about 1980, we had all the CVR(T)s that were on our establishment, but I am quite sure our LAD did not have Samson. I don't think they had 432: Memory suggests some big wheeled beasty.

As an aside, after many years full of water and with no engine the sammy should soon live again. Will post some pics when done. Nice to see a thread on recovery kit - these vehicles don't get enough attention...