Tracked recovery and repair vehicles (modern)

plainmilitary

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice M578, never seen one of those beasties in the flesh. Is there many of these about??

Tony

No I don't think so, took it to Beltring last year and it was the first time one had been shown there. The REME museum at Bordon have one in the reserve collection, but it has not run for some while. There are a few in Denmark, one which is in private hands.

They are all on the old style track, single centre pad, most were upgraded to the twin pads per link. Are they both still there, I presume them to be recent pictures due to the MANs i the background ?

Yes it's still there, sat on the bridge sections exactly as you see it.

hi fella's

just a couple more 578 pics,this one served with 49 fd ra an m109 regt in lippstadt, they're a great vehicle to drive but not so great for the commander all the way up top unless he's had his motion sickness tablets :-).All us mechanics were secretly jealous of the recy mechs having the sexiest wagon in the workshops.

sorry about the crappy quality(pics of pics)

eddy

028..jpg

031..jpg

029..jpg

It will be a treat to see the pics when finished.

Apologies for not posting pics yet. Hope to get some on this weekend. Recon engine is now fitted, though not fully plumbed yet - few more pipes on the sammy. New sprockets fitted (old ones well hooked), and tracks now on.

One question though which people might be able to help with - colour wise it is plain, faded green (possibly never issued) - as such I feel a bit more open to a different camo scheme and was maybe thinking green and sand a la BATUS - is this feasible for a Samson ? Anybody got any in service pics to give me ideas ? Have to say whilst not a rivet counter I would normally try to keep to the original scheme but feel a bit more open to something different for this one....

Cheers

Apologies for not posting pics yet. Hope to get some on this weekend. Recon engine is now fitted, though not fully plumbed yet - few more pipes on the sammy. New sprockets fitted (old ones well hooked), and tracks now on.

One question though which people might be able to help with - colour wise it is plain, faded green (possibly never issued) - as such I feel a bit more open to a different camo scheme and was maybe thinking green and sand a la BATUS - is this feasible for a Samson ? Anybody got any in service pics to give me ideas ? Have to say whilst not a rivet counter I would normally try to keep to the original scheme but feel a bit more open to something different for this one....

Cheers

I'm still serving and I have a Samson in my fleet of recovery vehicles, it's currently plain green (was black and green prior to respray) BATUS colours will look good on your wagon, give me a couple of days and I'll dig out some pics of a BATUS Sammie and post if you haven't got sorted out by then. Your wagons looking good, be great to see the pics when it's finished well done.

Excellent thanks will look fwd to that..

Just to clarify - the pic that shows what looks like a pile of scrap is actually what was left of the mudguards - new ones going on. One thing which you can't really see from the pic is that on the front mudguards there is a small cutout just where the shackles attach to the hull. On most CVRTs this doesn't seem to be there meaning that towing or recovery using the shackles leads to bent mudguards so could be a unit mod ?

Also the sprockets have all been replaced - pic is just to show how bad they were.

The tracks are quite rusty but when I looked at the pads they actually look pretty much brand new.

Should be up and running by end of this week. Painting will probably take a bit longer though !

Dear Timbo,

Shame you dont post your real name, first and last.

I think you are very wise to get it tidy and running and then go at the major paint job.

I see a Supacat lurking in the corner and a Fox to name a few, are they all yours?

Do you need anything for your Supacat, we have tons of spares we wont use.

What about Supacat manuals etc

R

I would just love a Sampson! Are the ones in service still petrol powered?

Going off thread a bit, is there any 'logic to British Army Reg. Nos? I ask because when I was 'in'

we had a Fox 00GM90 - the only one I ever saw with a GM number.

Going off thread a bit, is there any 'logic to British Army Reg. Nos? I ask because when I was 'in'

Mate I would imagine all the in service vehicles are now diesel...

As for the GM's - all the samsons I've seen appear to have GM numbers - not sure about others though..

Going off thread a bit, is there any 'logic to British Army Reg. Nos? I ask because when I was 'in' we had a Fox 00GM90 - the only one I ever saw with a GM number.

The letters depend on when the contract was placed, and different combinations for different types of vehicle. The Samsons are mostly GM, there were also some Foxes in GM.

It is my understanding that the army now use a single fuel - diesel. Since the Scimitars have been converted it must be assumed that any (if any) Samsons still in service would be diesel-powered.

WRT Fox with a GM plate, it sounds unusual to me. Scorpions were all 02FD (or was it 01FD? we had this discussion a month or two back) through 04FD. Scimitars were 04FD through about 07FD IIRC.

Spartans tended to be xxFF; all the Sultans I have ever seen were 00GE.

Basically a batch of vehicles would be ordered and yes they did come pretty much in sequence. The evidence of your Fox contradicts stuff that I thought I knew and I'd love to know how come it has a 00GM plate.