Leathal Weapon - a vehicle in reverse gear

LarryH57

A few days ago my sister was crossing the road via a large cap between parked cars when the driver of a large 4x4 decided to reverse at speed out of his parking space without looking and ran my sister over, breaking her leg in two places. This has brought home to me how easy it is to forget to look properly, especially in my MV.

I hope this warning will avoid any of you from injuring anyone while you are out and about in your MV and especially when arriving & departing from MV shows. I don't think Army vehicles were ever designed with a good rear view in mind so the risk for us is far greater!

Hope your sister recovers quickly and fully.

The fact that MVs have poor rear (and probably forward) vision, poor passenger crash safety and brakes that probably will never match modern cars certainly changes the way I drive, and my guess is that I am not unique there?

I am far more aware of my surroundings, and continually check any blind spots when turning or reversing.

Driving a modern utra safe car densititises us, giving us a false sense of security. The safer we make cars for the occupants, the worse people seem to drive!!! They seem to forget other road users are not so safe.

Taking it to the extreme, instead of seatbelts and airbags, if all cars had a 12 inch spike coming out of the centre of the steering wheel, and their legs hanging out of the front of the car, people would drive a lot more careful :)

Mick

Unfortunately, as Mike said above modern cars- especially big, overinflated 4x4s- tend to give people a sense of security and uninvolvement with the outside world. I once had a school run mum (sorry for the stereotype, but it's true) pull out of a space in front of me as I was leaving school in my old Land Rover- putting the kid in the back seat of her people carrier in direct line with my front bumper. Shook me up, but she didn't seem to notice.

The worse the vehicle is to drive, the poorer the visibilty and the more attatched you feel to the road and your surroundings (a lack of windows and/or roof tends to help with the latter) the more cautiously people tend to drive.

It's certainly a very valid point however. Having never driven anything bigger than a transit, when I finally get a MV of my own, I will be extremely cautious- and extremely scared, to start with!

Hope your sister has a speedy recovery. Out of interest, was the driver prosecuted at all? Sounds like driving without due care to me.

1 thing irritates me immensly...

Moronic front parking...what do I mean?

Someone arriving and just driving head first into a parkingspace while there is time and room to reverse into it. Just thinking stupid short time (ah, nice and easy...next day blocking traffic, causing accidents because they can't see sh*t while reversing. A minute of extra effort when parking pays divident in time and safety the next day when leaving.

Lets be honest, when you arrive its better to check and then reverse park. When arriving, put on emergencylights or wait till the traffic clears the street.

Not many people are driving or walking on a single parkingspot, the street is filled with cars, bicycles etc.

When lgetting in your car the street might be empty but by the time your ready to leave (putting on belts, starting etc. in a lot of time it isn't.

Especially now with snow, hazed windows etc its just daft to reverse onto a street.

I drive a Renault deliverycar, huge blindspot, reversing into a street is dangerous so I try to avoid by parking nose to the street.

Even worse when people are fixated to looking back to only 1 side of the street while reversing. A lot of times to the side where the traffic is further away while ignoring the traffic in the lane they are reversing into.

AAAAAAAHHHHHH, :nut: :argh:Yes, it REALLY annoyes me

See example of our Neighbour (woman). Comes home, drives head first and switches of directly without checking if its parked correctly. Hardly any cars when she gets home, its a cul-de-sac so all the time in the world to park. Next morning all parkingspaces are filled so she is having trouble getting out again. Mostly she takes up 2 spaces by the way she parks.

She also seems to have problems with rubbish bins so she parks a few feet away from them blocking part of the driveway while there is loads of room next to the bins. What the****?

There is room for 5 cars by the way.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.>:(:mad:

IMG_9054Small.jpg

IMG_9380Small.jpg

Yes, best wishes for speedy recovery.

In a very non-p.c. tone - how about reversing alarms for our MVs? You can get recordable ones now -

Instead of "BLEEP Caution, this ABC delivery truck is reversing BLEEP Caution, this ABC........" we could have rapid machine gun fire (of a type of weapon appropriate to the vehicle's period of course).

Boy, would that scatter pedestrians around the back PDQ!!!!!

Yes, best wishes for speedy recovery.

In a very non-p.c. tone - how about reversing alarms for our MVs? You can get recordable ones now -

Instead of "BLEEP Caution, this ABC delivery truck is reversing BLEEP Caution, this ABC........" we could have rapid machine gun fire (of a type of weapon appropriate to the vehicle's period of course).

Boy, would that scatter pedestrians around the back PDQ!!!!!

Loved the one on a delivery lorry we had on site a few years back............

" Oi - git art the way - I'm going backwards "

My best wishes for a speedy recover too : having lost a fight with a car when I was 11 and broken my leg in two places I can empathise with her !

I'm a firm believer that starting out a driving career as a motorcyclist does wonders for awareness of what might be around you and having ridden bikes for thirty four years on and off , it still does .

i quite agree dave i had this discussion recently with some friends as regards to new licensing laws where you had to do say do 1 year on a 50cc .1 year on a 125 cc then pass a test before even being aloud to progress to a 4 wheeled vehicle .we all agreed that this climbing the ladder system gives you alot more awareness to other road users especially the 2 wheeled kind.i for one give a lot of room look out for and make space for motorcyclists as i am one and know what its like.as regards to the type of vehicle being driven makes you more aware of your surroundings i agree if you drive along listening to the sound of the road surface through flapping canvas you are far more aware of whats going on around you than mrs mitsuoyotasan with the heater and stereo on picking up the kids from school. and i for one hope the person is prosecuted for driving with undue care and attention who ran over his sister.

First hope your sisiter has a good recovery.

Just one to add if you read the highway code you will find out its illeagl to reverse out of a minor road onto a major road eg your drive to the road outside your house. As for peoples driving it has got worst as car safety has got better i am all for replacing the airbag with a big spike that would slow them down.

As a hgv driver who drives a 60 foot long artic everyday i work i see lots of sights of peoples bad driving some of which you just have to sit back and think what planet are they from.

One of the bad habits that i notice more is cars and vans coming off say a motorway on to a slip road they wait til last the last min and try and get infront of you instead of pulling in to the near side before the junction alowing plenty of time. I have given up with slowing down for them now. If they cut me up they had better be out of my way as the cruise control is on.

Also why do people leve it to the last min to move over when a lane is closed off coursing the traffic to back up. Dont they know the basic laws that if they pull in early the traffic will be flowing beter and faster whn you reach the lane clousre.

So for the little rant. Could go on :yawn:

As a hgv driver who drives a 60 foot long artic everyday i work i see lots of sights of peoples bad driving some of which you just have to sit back and think what planet are they from.

Funny you should say that...I ride my bike (the pedal type) to work often, and go past Brooklands where Tesco are based. There is almost a constant flow of their artics at the time I am going past. How is it they can see me, and give me a ton of room, and car drivers cannot? Bizzare! Dare I say they are some of the most courteous drivers around these parts!!!!

Funny you should say that...I ride my bike (the pedal type) to work often, and go past Brooklands where Tesco are based. There is almost a constant flow of their artics at the time I am going past. How is it they can see me, and give me a ton of room, and car drivers cannot? Bizzare! Dare I say they are some of the most courteous drivers around these parts!!!!

I have probaly overtaken you then as i work for a firm with big green trucks and a girls name on the front :-D and go to tescos pritty often. And yea its called common courtesy to give a bike room shame some car drivers cant get to grips with it