MOT Testing Exemptions Consultation VERY IMPORTANT

Thanks for your reply Mike, and I'm sorry to see that you have given up contributing to the "consultation", but completely understand why.

It would seem that I might be better off having the vehicle classed as a recovery vehicle as I would then at least be able to tow something, the MOT situation effectively being the same for either recovery vehicle or mobile crane.

Thanks for your reply Mike, and I'm sorry to see that you have given up contributing to the "consultation", but completely understand why.

It would seem that I might be better off having the vehicle classed as a recovery vehicle as I would then at least be able to tow something, the MOT situation effectively being the same for either recovery vehicle or mobile crane.

At present, at least, Militant does not need MOT by virtue of being a Heavy Locomotive. (or so I understand). The bad news is Heavy (and Light Locos and Motor tractors) will need testing if the proposals go through without alteration.

As Mike is no longer acting on behalf of HMVF members please contact me re any relevant information that you may have that may help the situation, I will be in contact with Mr. Newman (DfT) asking him to bring me up to speed on this matter. If any member is prepared to take up the fight on behalf of the forum members please PM me.

Lee

I'm sorry to say it but Mikes right. You will be just banging your head against a brick wall.:banghead:

They are going to do exactly what they like regardless of any number of good arguments to the contrary. These people need to justify their massive pay grades by inventing more and more rubbish laws. We all took the time to write our letters to the "Consultation" (should be renamed "lets make the public think we are living in a Democratic Country) but it wont make any difference. Once this has been brought in they will be looking for something else to justify their jobs, so don't think buying a pre 1960 truck will get you out of jail because they will be next.

• 1 month later...

spoke to vosa today re doing another years tax on ferret and at present time situation is still that ferret is motor tractor so use v112g form ,they guess at somtime in 2012 for implentation of changes, testing to be done at hgv testing centre, brakes with tapley device.

spoke to vosa today re doing another years tax on ferret and at present time situation is still that ferret is motor tractor so use v112g form ,they guess at somtime in 2012 for implentation of changes, testing to be done at hgv testing centre, brakes with tapley device.

Did they tell you how the examiner is supposed to enter the vehicle??

As I seem to recall saying previously - when I asked the Purfleet testing centre about getting a test done on the Stalwart they declined because their 'Elf and Safety rules prevent them from entering a vehicle with-out side access (doors or a appropriate "hole") - i.e. they are not allowed to climb up onto a vehicle to gain access.

Did they tell you how the examiner is supposed to enter the vehicle??

As I seem to recall saying previously - when I asked the Purfleet testing centre about getting a test done on the Stalwart they declined because their 'Elf and Safety rules prevent them from entering a vehicle with-out side access (doors or a appropriate "hole") - i.e. they are not allowed to climb up onto a vehicle to gain access.

VOSA don't get into the vehicle when it's tested, it's up to the driver to move the vehicle and perform the brake, light and steering controls.

How can they carry out a brake test with a Tapley meter without entering the vehicle????

I've not done a test at VOSA where a Tapley meter is needed. All the MOT's I've done are modern artics. They have never gone into the cab when I've been there, not even to check the seat belts etc. Maybe they ask you to drive round the side and slam the brakes on?

Along with testing the seat security and belts on vehicles with air systems they check the stop works and then pump the the brakes untill warning buzzer/light comes on then check gauges re start vehicle and note air build up on gauges while there they also check visability through screen telling you to get rid of sat navs sun strips etc Or at least they do at Beverly Thorpe Arch Doncaster and Leeds The taply test is done as you say round the cicuit and the hand brake is tested on the ramp if rollers cant be used. I have had tested Leyland Martians Big Bens Foden F70 like this But beware you will not get an MOT certificate after it all you get is a certificate of road worthiness because very few large milatry vehicles can be plated and tested. Please try your selves but it is an utter minefield when it comes to plating and testing and it makes me wonder how people can say they can run over width vehicles legally

Edited by cosrec

I would suggest its because its fitted between line of vision and wiper swept area of windscreen

That is what is was told at the mot station by the inspector. when it go's for the next Test i will remove the camera screen and the yellow strobes from the dash and screen and will proberly think about re positioning the reverse camera screen lower down. are well we live and learn. At least this info saved another MV owner from making the same mistake.:-D

Clive

• 3 months later...

Would someone be so kind as to update us as to the latest situation on this matter or, post a link to any official statements (have tried searching the official website in vain).

The next challenge will be to establish the practicality of getting early 1960`s vehicles MOT`d to standards applied at the time. Anyone started along this route yet ?

Thanks

Steve 82

any one who responded to consultation will be contacted when there is any firm news one way or the other,so there should be lots of emails/letters sent to forum members who have contributed to this thread as it was important to send a letter to dept of transport voicing our concerns. I will write to the person concerned to see if they mind me posting the letters here,as i am sure you will agree that is the polite thing to do.

Would someone be so kind as to update us as to the latest situation on this matter or, post a link to any official statements (have tried searching the official website in vain).

Steve 82

Received today..

Mr Mansworth

The current situation is that a summary of the responses is with Ministers who are to decide whether to proceed and, if so, how.

This has been the situation for some months now and I have no idea when it will change. We will inform everyone who responded to the consultation when there is news.

Regards

Mary Allum

Operator Licensing and Roadworthiness Team

• 1 month later...
Just my personal experiance of this no MOT lark and I don't wish to offend anyone that has the knowledge to make sure their vehicle is in a good and roadworthy state and there are many of you on this site that know far more than the inspectors! I am an ex inspector myself from the early 80's so I do have some clue, well on a good day...

I recently purchased a SUMB diesel "The best maintained in the UK" I bought this sight unseen and this is not a bitch letter as I'm very happy with the vehicle, but safe you must be joking! First problem noted when I picked the vehicle up from a storage facility in Swindon was the air brake valve, lets just say it needed a rebuild and farm animals would scatter but at least the warning light would stay out and it stopped ok, then it started to rain, well no wiper linkage oh and no washer jet just a hole in the bonnet... so fixed the wiper pin tightened up the arms and away, wipers rubbers were painted in NATO green so couldn't see a thing, stopped after a very slow and cautious head out the window 100 miles to look at the excessive play in the steering box and hoping to adjust at least 3/4 a turn of the wheel play out as it was difficult keeping in my lane even at 35... Noted, to my amazement the drop arm ball joint nut was hanging on by 1/4 of it's thread the taper popped and no split pin in sight!

Trully frightening, things were going through my head like what would I have done faced with a totally free steering wheel? Jump? lock all four wheels with a massive stamp on the brakes and hope momentum keeps you on the right side of the road? Really doesnt bear thinking about. Anyway, my maybe, probably, a bit long winded point is, not everyone that can afford and own these MOT exempt vehicles has a clue about repairing them, altough they probably try their best, it is just a hobby and they are probably brilliant in another field.

As much as I hate government involvement and health and safety, comonsense must prevail and if that means a lot of us are a bit put out with fees and inspections to protect us from monumental implications if one of these beasts goes out of control somewhere that is OK with me. In this day and age of high reflective jackets and hard hats to cut the grass is it too much to expect to test a 50 year old 5 or 20 ton vehicle before the school run?

And yes I have just got back from the pub so please excuse me, especially the spelling, where did that spell check go... and I was walking looking over my shoulder for out of control SUMB's :nut::-D:-D

How nice to see an inspector with a sense of humour ( perhaps thats why you are an ex-inspector)............. however, I do agree entirely with you sentiments.