Time for another update.

Work has continued on the engines and they are now together and almost ready to install. They had been running but developed an internal leak due to a mistake by the engine rebuilders and had to have remedial work undertaken. All is well now and these pictures show some of the pipework for the cold start system.

On the 671, a fuel burner system is used very similar to that on the Diamond T 980. A hand pump on the instrument panel, one for each engine, is used to force fuel through a nozzle which atomises it into the inlet tract. The fuel pressure in the lines also switches on a coil which provides a spark which the fuel stream passes over, igniting it. This is drawn into the engine, this being done whilst cranking the engine over, and heats up the combustion chambers. Self ignition of the normal air fuel mixture should follow!

2010-09-16_17-53-36_160920101973.jpg

2010-09-14_15-24-36_140920101965.jpg

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the last large parts that needed work was the mantlet. This had a little damage to one of the lifting eyes and a new section has been welded in to repair it. Also clearly visible here is the collar welded on the mantlet to suit the slimmer 17 pr barrel, the original 3" gun having a much fatter tube at this point.

2010-09-17_14-48-02_170920101978.jpg

2010-09-22_14-55-02_220920102032.jpg

Adrian Barrell One of the last large parts that needed work was the mantlet. This had a little damage to one of the lifting eyes and a new section has been welded in to repair it.

As I assume this AFV wasn't a range target was this damage service damage or a fault in the casting or something else?

Adrian Barrell

....... no but it had no mantlet on it. This particular mantlet came from a target that you knew well Steve...

Ah yes very remiss:embarrassed::blush: of me not to go back and look at the 1st post on this thread -as I forgot it didn't have a mantlet.

I'm surprised it is that mantlet:wow: as I thought the whole unit went for a holiday across the water, for a turretless M10 that had turned up in Scotland.

I had hoped some-one had salvaged the Warcop one that was inside the hull before it was scrapped- such is life:D

The level of restoration involved in this M10c is incredible - I remember walking into the Warcop turreted wreck (it having had its motors removed) and everything inside was rotten including the speed plate which surprisingly was still in place.

Steve

steveo578

I had hoped some-one had salvaged the Warcop one that was inside the hull before it was scrapped- such is life:-D

As i had the scanner running I uploaded the photo of the M10c mantlet in the turret of a turreted M10c on Warcop -no longer there though:(.

Steve

warcop M10 mantlet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Other parts are also going in. The escape hatch and oil and fuel tanks have all been fitted.

The oil tanks are actually in place of the lower fuel tanks. Their original positions were further forward up against the bulkhead but that makes access to the starter motors very difficult. As the horizontal tanks give more than enough fuel capacity, it was decided to make oil tanks to suit.

2010-10-04_17-27-10_041020102051.jpg

2010-10-07_15-26-50_071020102062.jpg

man ! that looks great but really really expensive. to finish it to that standard must be a very large undertaking by the owner in many different ways i doubt most of us will understand the fustrations and pressures of that kind of restoration job, but for what it's worth it's definately worth it in my opinion i'm just glad i don't have to pay for it :D

eddy

Hi Eddie , thanks for your kind words ,the restoration is moving forward fast now after a lull during August , the high quality of workmanship is a credit to Carl and peter and not forgetting the fantastic steel fabricating that Adrian Barrell has done and is still doing .Adrian is at present making new header tanks for the cooling system and a new splash plate which is situated above the engines , under the decks .

Carl is hoping to install the engines towards the end of this week once the new white paint has had time to harden off !!, so maybe in 2 - 3 weeks it may move under its own steam again , the first time for many years , keep your fingers crossed !!

Hi Eddie , thanks for your kind words

It's not just Eddie we all think the same thing :D all these threads are must reads for us misguided sould who like to tinker or watch your amazing workmanship

I will pre-warn you now if I ever buy a tank I am moving into your village