• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've just spent 2 hours fabricating a little bracket that goes on the side of the carrier headlamp and looks like something you could pick up for £2 at a fair. :D

rick

I know that bracket, I bought a box full for a pound each......

Only kidding!:D

I have brought a set of rubber chevron tracks

I got this far down reading your message and was about to have a heart attack, thinking you meant a set of new production tracks... then I read on and all was relaxed and soothing:D My XK8 only cost a few grand more than a set of NEW sherman rubber chevron tracks:shocked:

If you have a set of worn rubber tracks is it not possible to have the remaining rubber removed and rubber re-moulded around the track pad...silly question, it MUST be possible and I'd imagine much cheaper than totally new track. Having said all that, hats off to JS for investing his money in tooling up for track production, in the long run it makes sense.

Edited by ajmac

If you have a set of worn rubber tracks is it not possible to have the remaining rubber removed and rubber re-moulded around the track pad...silly question, it MUST be possible and I'd imagine much cheaper than totally new track. Having said all that, hats off to JS for investing his money in tooling up for track production, in the long run it makes sense.

Everything is possible, and many collectors have investigated several possible solutions.

What I know is that the cost of properly removing the rubber plus vulcanizing new rubber on the old steel track block skeleton most likely turns out to be as least at costly as having new track blocks made. The benefit of the latter is that the steel parts are not worn, thus resulting in really new tracks, rather than having worn rerubbered tracks.

The US double rubber bushed pin track is quite complicated, what most people forget is that the pins are bonded in rubber bushings inside the tubes of the track block, this apparently is difficult to remanufacture.

See my Sherman track page for more info: http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/track.htm

HTH,

Hanno

PS: Adrians, I enjoy reading about the M10 restoration - keep up the good work!

A friday update ,part 1

We are hoping to have the engines running buy the end of next week if all goes to plan , the turret is all but finished with the exception as of yesterday of the gun elervation gear which Carl was working on as i spoke to him , the wiring is comming on and Carl has managed to source some plugs that fit into the back of the dashboard .

Part 2

Ive done this in 2 parts as ive tried to do it twice before and its timed me out and its not posted !!!

Peter is working on the fuel system at the moment and should have it finished early next week , Jim Clarke has made new seats as required for the driver / co driver and turret and they look fantastic ,current photos to be posted by Adrian B when he gets a moment ,My tracks have not left America yet and theres a good chance the tank will be finished before they arrive !!

Thats all for now

Adrian

I took the opertunity to go up to Carls today for a visit as i was rained off from work , work is progressing very well and to a very high standard that im impressed with ,Carl is concetrating on the electrics and is having to make up all of the armoured conduet that the wiring runs through , the dash is also being wired up and installed , the battery kill switches have been installed along with the regulators , and Peter is working on the fuel system and mounting the filter heads etc and we have decided to use modern screw on fuel filters for ease of servicabilty ect long term , Adrian B has made up the splash plate that goes under the engine decks and that is to be fitted shortly once painted .

16 nov 10 Iphone 012.jpg

16 nov 10 Iphone 014.jpg

16 nov 10 Iphone 017.jpg

• 1 month later...
Adrian,

How many M10's 17 pdr are restored to running condition around the world? I remember seeing the Cadman M10 being put into running condition on a TV show a while back.

And I own a M10 Achilles who is in Sweden.

swedenao you know we want pics, no need to be shy we're all tank lovers here :-D

eddy

OK. Here is a picture of my M10. It's me who is the driver in the picture.

send a link to you tube, there is some more stuff from me "swednao" on you tube.

with best regards Anders

m10.jpg

thank you anders

i like the youtube clips, it's good to see a tank being driven the way it was intended to be, (all or nothing) :cool2:

i would like an achilles, i know of 3 still on the ranges in england and there's plenty in belgium and denmark, maybe one day i'll manage to get one off and restore it.

all the best

eddy

Hi Anders ,

Another M10 to add to the list then !!, as Eddy said thanks for the you tube link , good to see your M10 being driven and enjoyed ,i see you are running on CDP track ( is your M10 ex Danish army ? )

Regards Adrian

Hello. yes it has been in Denmark after the war, I have sanded until all signs on the M10. can come back with some pictures of it later.

as it is painted now as it was painted it when it came to Normandy, June 11, 1944.

some more movies when I drive with the M10,

I had a military vehicle meeting in Bengtsfors 2010

I will have a meeting 2-4 September 2011 also.there are perhaps 50-60 vehicles. if there is anyone who wants to come, you are welcome. on Saturday we drive vehicles, on Sunday we will have anfibie vehicles I hope