Cornbeef

Willyslancs

According to the Spam website the spiced ham theory is, "speculation", but they give no clue as to the real reason it is named thus. :???

I always thought that it was an abbreviation of Spiced Pork and hAM.

Has anyone mentioned Bacon Grill yet?

Fantastic stuff and still a guilty pleasure of mine!

Rectangular tins, but usually with the corned beef style key!

Discuss.

Edited by Johnny

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it incredible that the mobile bakery trailers that were at Beverley Musuem of Army Transport, were requisitioned and taken off to the Falklands war, because it had slipped everyones attention that the the Army had no way of baking bread at the time. It was only when thinking about the logistics of fighting a war on the other side of the planet that some bright spark decided a mobile bakery woulkd be a good thing for an army to have with it.

The exhibits were returned to Beverley after the war.

Re Tapered meat cans patented by Libby in 1875. The key operated tearing strip wasn't invented until 10 years after Libby's first cans, so however he intended the public opening his can, there would have been a lip left on the opened end to get the meat past.

The shape of the can was decided 10 years before the method of opening with a key, thus leaving no lip, was introduced.

Libby obviously hadn't envisiged the meat sliding out cleanly from a tapered can with no lip, because his cans although the familiar shape we know today must have had a lip when opened.

Edited by antarmike

I don't fully understand the Mobile bakery pictures. The bakers seem to be kneeding dough by hand. The Mobile Bakery that was at Beverley had a trailer with the diesel powered oven, but it also had another trailer, with a dough making (and presumably kneading) machine.

• 1 month later...