bedford mj speed problems

nuttycircusman

I can remember at RAF Lyneham in the 80,s we had 1 4tonner that was a pile of s""t, the runt of the litter. had the same problems on hills and on the flat would not do more than 45. MTSS gave up on looking for the problem and if you were a bad boy you got that truck for the week delivering around southern England.

Christian

Honestly can't remember, it's been quite a long time since it's been out! (and I still can't drive it, bloody DSA)

Don't remember it chugging too badly but it's only ever had to go up and down the M25. You get overtaken by artics so much anyway that you stop noticing when it's slowed down! The only thing that might save it would be an early changedown to try and keep the turbo up to speed, but then you already knew that ;)

Stone

I think it's just the way they are. My own MJ would do 50mph on the flat but it wasn't at all comfortable at that speed. 40-45 is the max for cruising. On hills they slow down like hitting a wall! The main problem is the gearbox, it's very wide ratio, 1st is a crawler so that effectively leaves you with 3 gears. My MJ would climb hills revving almost to the limiter in 2nd but if I tried changing up into 3rd it would virtually stall, the gears are so widely spaced. I can't imagine what it would be like at it's maximum train weight of over 14000kgs!

Andy.

On hills they slow down like hitting a wall! The main problem is the gearbox, it's very wide ratio, 1st is a crawler so that effectively leaves you with 3 gears. My MJ would climb hills revving almost to the limiter in 2nd but if I tried changing up into 3rd it would virtually stall, the gears are so widely spaced.

Andy,

You could almost be describing the hill climbing abilities of my Bedford QL, except that top speed is slightly less :-D. I try to have a run at a hill...if I know the road, it is usually alright, but on an unknown route you can be caught out, then it is down the box, and stay there till you reach the crest. What is worrying is when you get down to 2nd and it starts to flag :shake:

Andy,

You could almost be describing the hill climbing abilities of my Bedford QL, except that top speed is slightly less :-D. I try to have a run at a hill...if I know the road, it is usually alright, but on an unknown route you can be caught out, then it is down the box, and stay there till you reach the crest. What is worrying is when you get down to 2nd and it starts to flag :shake:

Go on Richard you know you love the QL really.:-D The problem is when you are driving a Dodge behind one, you can't slow down enough to avoid pushing it.

Go on Richard you know you love the QL really.:-D The problem is when you are driving a Dodge behind one, you can't slow down enough to avoid pushing it.

Oh I do Tony, lovely wagon, you have to drive them, not like modern vehicles, to get up a hill with minimum down changes is a challenge. I think the first part of a Dodge to make contact with the Bedford, would be your rad grill and my tow hook :-D

Oh I do Tony, lovely wagon, you have to drive them, not like modern vehicles, to get up a hill with minimum down changes is a challenge. I think the first part of a Dodge to make contact with the Bedford, would be your rad grill and my tow hook :-D

I'll wait at the top for you then! :-D

Hello all,

even my Leyland DAF 4 tonner (150 Bhp I think) is very slow uphill towing a 3.5T trailer...

Well we use it for the hobby so I don't mind and just take the time for it. I installed a warning beacon... I was a bit uneasy with the 40 tonners coming behind in the dark at top speed is.

So my thoughts are with you if the Bedford is about 100 Bhp

i once followed a MJ to beltring 140 miles in the REO and it was painful,we were down to 15 mph most hills. I get spoilt with the REO as with the pump tweaked they"re good.But my M816 wrecker with its 14 liter will do do 50mph easily on the flat but see a hill and you get plenty of excercise changing down and then will go anywhere in low box.We need to remember these trucks were designed some time ago and mainly expected to spend alot of time offroad going slow and not sure what an average convoy speed would be but prob not 40mph. Ive also read that most military vehicles/engine were never over powered deliberately so to protect the driveline/suspension etc from the average driver, better to wear an engine out than break things in the field. martin

In a monumental Homer Simpson moment, DOH!

One of the hidden problems with the Bedfords is the brass screen in the lift pump assembly on the right hand side of the engine.

Bear in mind just about all the MVs we folks buy have been sitting around for long enough with little fuel in the tanks that condensation occurs in the fuel tank. Water = Rust. Rust flakes will plug that screen and eventually under load on the engine the engine will falter and die.

I apologise for not responding earlier on this thread as that problem is one that has sidelined one of our Bedfords and I have kind of forgotten about it as I already knew about it.

Hope it helps someone

Robin

• 3 weeks later...
Hello mate.

I also own a Bedford MJ. I have to say that my truck is also slow up the hills. On a flat it will do 50 MAX, 40 is the comfortable cruising speed. Mine is fitted with an Electronic Radar Repair Workshop with all the kit still fitted. The all up weight must be around 8.5tonnes. The BHP of a Bedford MJ 330 is 108bhp. My truck has only done 2,500 miles so the engine isn't even run in yet. I've changed the fuel filter, the air filter is new (the truck had a two yearly service and inspection at ABRO two months before release - this included the fitment of a new transfer box, front wheel bearings/hub seals/brake shoes/new fuel tank etc, etc

With my truck, it will slow down to 2nd gear (speedo not working properly so can't say what actual speed is) on a steep hill. When in 2nd gear it manages OK and eccelerates very well, but seems to be too low geared as the revs increase pretty quick, but to change into 3rd gear will kill it, so you have to stay in 2nd until the climb is finished. I used to drive them in the Army and can't really remember what they were like, but the ones I drove were GS versions without a very heavy box body on the back. I have been behind other Bedfords and these also were slow up the hills.

I don't tow a trailer and it's one of the things that has put on hold my requirment for a living van.

Has this just happened with the truck or has it always been like that? The turbo on mine doesn't make any noise whatsoever, even under heavy load, and I find this somewhat strange. I know the turbos fitted to the MJ were either low pressure or meduim pressure units. I'm betting mine is fitted with the low pressure version. As I'm a truck driver for a living I have driven enough trucks to realise that the turbo can make a BIG difference to the trucks ability to hold speed uphill. Personally I think the problem I have with mine (and it looks like you also have the same problem) is to do with the turbo pressure being too low. When you look at the size of the intake turbine, it's huge. This would be like blowing into a dustbin, just no increase in pressure at all under load. The exhaust side is roughly the same size. I'm actually going to look into the possibility of fitting a different turbo, but the problem you then have with a higher pressure turbo is the stress on the engine that it wasn't designed for.

If it was a poorly fitting fuel filter seal you would have air getting in, or diesel getting out all of the time and not just when you go uphill. This would lead to problems starting as there would be air in the system (I had this trouble with a 106 diesel. The fuel line was pinched under the seat rail and had a pinhole in that was letting in air. It ran like a dog and the fuel pump was constantly bleeding the air out - all because of a pinhole)

I don't think it's the fuel pump either.

There are enough members on here with Bedford MJ's, so come on guys, what is your truck like up the hills? I don't think there is a problem with yours as both of ours seem to suffer the same problem, unless of course both of ours seem to be suffering from the same problem??? (If that makes sense:sweat:)[/Yeah mines an '86 and the same performance. I just think it's not got enough horsepower, I think most new cars these days have got more! I couldn't see it catching the germans.QUOTE]

it does seem that this is a problem accross the board. i have had many contradicting stories.

however i still have good trusted and time old friends in the travelling show bussiness who have had severeal of these and they still say and i have seen with my own eyes that a mj is capable of still going at a reasonable speed up a hill.

some even with 2 heavy trailers full of equipment.

i guess as our season on the road starts for 2010 its a case of experimenting

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to put a pennys worth in and say that i've been told by many MJ/MK owners that the 330 turbo engine is very underpowered on the road. The only thing they suggest is to take it out and replace it with a 500 lump or find something from a more modern truck. Sorry about that. I'm currently getting back on the road a 1983 MK with a 330 turbo engine and with limited funds i'm just ggoing to get used to a slower pace of life for a while.