New Joiner

ghasp!

Just thought I'd say hello and congratulate everyone for the website.

I've been doing re-enactment for a few years, and moved into WWII period about 6 years ago (I'll be down at Bovington for the Tankfest this weekend). I've been saving for a Historic Military Vehicle for about four or five years, but the cost of the things :-o keeps on going up quicker than I can save :roll:

I was due to get a GMC 353 from France in March, but it couldn't be delivered as the transporter broke down. ETA is now July but I'm not holding my breath.

Welcome Ghasp.

Enigma is right, good to have another jummy owner on....we are slowly but surely giving those post war guys a good run for their money 8-)

Got any images of your GMC?

And we will be at Bovy, make sure you come and say hi!

Cheers.

Jack.

I guess I ought to come clean first, before you congratulate me further on the GMC :oops:

I'm actually after a rolling chassis which I intend to build a replica armoured car on. The GMC is the closest fit to the vehicle I'm interested in, none of which have survived to modern times. Also if I build on an old vehicle it gets around a lot of the rules and regulations and allows me to drive it on the road. I guess that makes me a bit of a heretic, but at least from the chassis down I'll be preserving a historic vehicle, as well as trying to bring to life a missing link in AFV history.

I guess I ought to come clean first, before you congratulate me further on the GMC :oops:

I'm actually after a rolling chassis which I intend to build a replica armoured car on. The GMC is the closest fit to the vehicle I'm interested in, none of which have survived to modern times. Also if I build on an old vehicle it gets around a lot of the rules and regulations and allows me to drive it on the road. I guess that makes me a bit of a heretic, but at least from the chassis down I'll be preserving a historic vehicle, as well as trying to bring to life a missing link in AFV history.

You are going to have to tell us more now :|

Yes it is a German six-wheeler, a sdkfz 231 6-rad. I've always been interested in them ever since matchbox brought out their kit many many years ago. As a kid I dreamt of having one, only to discover that none had survived (not that I'd be able to afford an original if I could get one). :cry:

I've been doing research on them for about 5 years now and it seems that they weren't all retired to training schools in 1940. There's even some evidence that some were sent against the 6th Airborne division on D-day as part of the reconstitued 21st panzer division.

hi ghasp

i think original german vehicles are out of most peoples price range which is why we have also replicated german vehicles so i wish you the best of luck in sourcing all th eparts you need.

oh welcome aboard

cheers

berni

Yes I've seen that replica before, quite a good job although they made a few minor mistakes with the number of vision ports etc. I've got some interior pictures somewhere too. It was on e-bay a couple of times for a lot of money and I don't think it sold.