Things I would like to ask the designer of my MV

woa2

Just another bit of fun.

What is the question you would like to ask the designer of your MV? Is there anything about your MV you don't understand the reason for and would love to ask the designer why it is so?

To start, I would like to know why Ford put the distibutor on my Ford V8 in such an inaccessable place, just above the fan belt pulley. Cleaning/resetting the points is a major job on a V8.

Why on the AEC Matador, do they fit two rear brake actuating cylinders, Each working onto a bell crank, each bell crank connected to the adjuster and the expander, by a seperate rod, but at the top end weld each bellcrank to a common cross shaft, so that if one brake is adjusted tighter than the other, the cross shaft prevents the other cylinder from applying the rear brakes on that side?

Edited by antarmike

Oh gawd - where to start in with the designers of the Stalwart... I could probably fill several pages with questions...... :):)

Suppose top of the heap right now is who designed an air operated wiper system such that when it rains the motor fills with water which is then squirted directly into the drivers face when he turns the air switch to "Run"????? :shake: :shake:

Suppose top of the heap right now is who designed an air operated wiper system such that when it rains the motor fills with water which is then squirted directly into the drivers face when he turns the air switch to "Run"????? :shake: :shake:

How can that be rain water ? :confused: You would only use the wipers when it is raining so a coincidence, probably caused by the driver not carrying out the task of draining condensation from the air tank :n00b:

:-D:-D:-D

Oh gawd - where to start in with the designers of the Stalwart... I could probably fill several pages with questions...... :):)

Does it not use an exhaust tube?

How can that be rain water ? :confused: You would only use the wipers when it is raining so a coincidence, probably caused by the driver not carrying out the task of draining condensation from the air tank :n00b:

:-D:-D:-D

No idea - I was hoping you could tell me"!!! :):) When it's dry - no problem, when it rains the driver gets squirted!! :shake:

Incidentally - how are you supposed to drain the air packs down - I don't recall seeing drain taps on them when Lee & I had them out to refurb them as part of the braking system saga.... Which brings up the other point - we had the whole of the air system apart about 2 months ago - everything was cleaned and dried/lubricated and she's hardly been run apart from testing purposes since.

No idea - I was hoping you could tell me"!!! :):) When it's dry - no problem, when it rains the driver gets squirted!! :shake:

Incidentally - how are you supposed to drain the air packs down -

Neil,

I seem to think the wiper supply is drawn from the wet tank, same as the pressure guage, obviously not a good idea as the purpose of the tank is to segregate any condensation or oil out via the autodrain valve. Good reason why you only get water when it is raining is because damp air is being drawn into the tank.

As for draining the Airpaks, there should be drain plugs in the bottom of them.

Neil,

I seem to think the wiper supply is drawn from the wet tank, same as the pressure guage, obviously not a good idea as the purpose of the tank is to segregate any condensation or oil out via the autodrain valve. Good reason why you only get water when it is raining is because damp air is being drawn into the tank.

As for draining the Airpaks, there should be drain plugs in the bottom of them.

Just had a quick flick through the diagrams - and the only drain valve is an auto drain on the sensing tank. And the LP feed to the cab is taken from this tank, not the air packs....

To vent air pressure from the air packs the book says pump the brake pedal a few times....

(I think perhaps we are veering away from the original intent of this post - if the Mods agree perhaps splitting the posts off into a relevant titled thread under British vehicles might be helpful???)

Just had a quick flick through the diagrams - and the only drain valve is an auto drain on the sensing tank. And the LP feed to the cab is taken from this tank, not the air packs....

To vent air pressure from the air packs the book says pump the brake pedal a few times....

Precisely, auto drain valve is only drain valve, but there are drain plugs in the Airpaks, any water laying in them might not come out on operation of the brakes. Also I did not say the LP feed was from the Airpaks, I said wet tank, ie sensing tank ( known by different terms on different makes of vehicle ).

Precisely, auto drain valve is only drain valve, but there are drain plugs in the Airpaks, any water laying in them might not come out on operation of the brakes. Also I did not say the LP feed was from the Airpaks, I said wet tank, ie sensing tank ( known by different terms on different makes of vehicle ).

Yep tha's correct, two plugs in each tank... if you remember Neil one had fracture & was letting by...

After my experience on Thursday, I'd have to ask:

In a 432 the designers provided for the possibility that the throttle linkage would jam or break by providing a little hatch by the driver's left elbow which lets you access the throttle lever where it's attached to the pack. After going to all that effort, why not route some air past it so when you have to use it it's not hot enough to burn your hand? :argh:

Stone

Dear dodge designer, WHY did you put the front cab canvas OVER the top of the back? Was to ensure the cleanliness of soldiers, wethere they wanted a bath or not.

:rofl:

It's like a rite of passage.

When you had the Dodge shower you're in the weapons carrier club...

:rotfl:Please tell me a video was made...:-D

Sorry, not even a still picture. :n00b: The date I picked her up? Well, that was the day that the fuel blockade really hit! Another important lesson I learnt, they didn't put a spring on the hand brake! Make sure it is fully off!

dear mr Austin,

could you tell me please why you could t make the cab on your lovely k6 model a little higher so you could incorporate slightly taller windscreens, so you dont have to stoop forward as if your falling asleep to see further than 10 yards in front of the bonnet.

i await patiently for your reply