Pre-Digital Aviation Photos

Jessie The Jeep

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This must be the same 'Focke Wulf' Steve, seen here at Dunkeswell in the '90's. It was then owned by a friend who incidentaly never flew it but bought it just because he liked it! I think he sold it to a Royal Navy pilot from nearby Yeovilton.

I would often sit in the cockpit and dog fight with imaginary P.51's!!

The Stearman with the odd enclosed cockpit was possibly photographed at Yeovilton in the '80's.

The Stearman with 'Mr Blobby' on top had called in to Dunkeswell for fuel on its way to a display in the West Country.

The pilot said that the handling was a bit 'iffy' with him up there flapping about!

001-1.jpg

Focke Wulf replica, Dunkeswell 001.jpg

001-2.jpg

001-3.jpg

002.jpg

I like the FW190 replica, very smart, is it full size or slightly smaller?

The 190 is smaller than the original, even though the real Fw190 was a small aircraft. The scale is 58% ( I hate scales as a percentage! ) giving a wingspan of 20 feet compared to the originals 34 ft 5in wingspan.

Here's the web page for WAR Replicas Fw190 - http://www.nulantek.biz/WAR_FW190.aspx

The aircraft tail you see in the background of the 'Mr Blobby/Stearman pic, is Vampire T.11 XE982.

It was restored to static display condition at my home workshop and at Dunkeswell in the early '90's. As my trade then was running a vehicle bodyshop, I ended up doing most of it!

Unfortunately, it was allowed to get back to its earlier poor condition, though I believe it now resides in Southern Ireland (Weston?) and will hopefully resurected again.

Here's a few pics of when I had it.

15 - Copy.jpg

23 - Copy.jpg

35 - Copy.jpg

40 - Copy.jpg

Yeah Steve, you're so right. At least the Yanks appear to save at least one of everything.

I suppose with regards to the stuff we like, after the war people had had enough and did'nt want to be reminded.

Thank God there were some enterprising people with enough soul to save some of it!