Pre-Digital Aviation Photos

Jessie The Jeep

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another Boeing B-50 Superfortress at Planes of Fame. Unfortunately it's a fuselage only. It would be great if the museum could make a complete B-29/B-50 by recovering the wing from the Greenland B-29 'Kee Bird'. This B-29 was force landed in Greenland during a cold war spying mission in February 1947, and remained there until 1994, when a failed recovery attempt resulted in fire destroying the fuselage.

b50b.jpg

de Havilland dH88 Comet was restored by British Aerospace works at Hatfield and flew again in 1987. It flew from Hatfield until 1993 when it was moved to the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden by road. After arriving, I believe the aircraft was damaged in a landing accident at Old Warden and then repaired, but is now only taxied.

The photograph was taken in 1988 at North Weald, a year after the post restoration flight.

comet3.jpg

followed by my favourite plane, the Vultee Vengence

The story I was told, designed by the American's,built by the British and given to the Australian's which ended up a dive bomber that could not recover from a dive

Whilst searching for parts for these I found a Spitfire, but well thats another story :cool2:

In that case, you'll probably like these two pictures of my A-35. If you read Peter C Smith's book on the Vengeance, you'll see it turned out the most accurate dive bomber of the war. Designed by Vultee to a specification laid down by the French and British, it was successfully used in Burma. Early versions suffered from engine failures as a result of the engines not being protected correctly with corrosion inhibitor and also being transported as deck cargo. Some elevator failures were also experienced as a result of incorrect fabric application.

a35a.jpg

a35b.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Back to jets.

On December 10, 1963, during a test of the NF-104A rocket assisted Starfighter, Chuck Yeager narrowly escaped death when his aircraft went out of control at 108,700 feet (nearly 21 miles up) and crashed. He ejected at 8,500 feet after failing to regain control of the powerless, rapidly falling craft. He became the first pilot to make an emergency ejection in the full pressure suit needed for high altitude flights.

An investigation showed the cause of the crash was a spin that resulted from excessive angle of attack and lack of aircraft response. The excessive angle of attack was as a result of a gyroscopic condition set up by the J79 engine spooling after shut down for the rocket-powered zoom climb phase.

Here's two other F-104's. The first is a two seat version in standard USAF markings at Castle AFB, the other at the Museum of Flight, Seattle, in NASA markings.

f104b.jpg

f104a.jpg

Back to jets.

On December 10, 1963, during a test of the NF-104A rocket assisted Starfighter, Chuck Yeager narrowly escaped death when his aircraft went out of control at 108,700 feet (nearly 21 miles up) and crashed. He ejected at 8,500 feet after failing to regain control of the powerless, rapidly falling craft. He became the first pilot to make an emergency ejection in the full pressure suit needed for high altitude flights.

An investigation showed the cause of the crash was a spin that resulted from excessive angle of attack and lack of aircraft response. The excessive angle of attack was as a result of a gyroscopic condition set up by the J79 engine spooling after shut down for the rocket-powered zoom climb phase.

I like the bit where the ejection seat hit his face and ignited the oxygen.

His gloves caught fire trying to put his face out and is kinda depicted in the film the right stuff as he asked the hot rod kid for a knife to cut his gloves off. He sliced the end of one of his fingers off.

I wanted a photo of him and Glamorous Glennis so I contacted the US embassy and they replied with his name address, social secrity number, military record etc etc..... yes strange

Anyway I mailed him in '91 and he posted me that photo, so legend and a nice bloke

Nice! I didn't realise until recently that the USAF had lost a B-2 in a take off crash. Rather messy and expensive.

wasn't that in Guam, or was that a B52.....

I got piccies of the B1 that had an incident at DG.... ie landed with all the wheels up

These are some German RPPC postcards I bought in '94