Pre-Digital Aviation Photos

Jessie The Jeep

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the prototype B-17 ( Boeing 299 ) crashed through pilot error during army trials in 1935, the Army bomber contract was awarded to Douglas. Their design was less advanced than Boeings, and was out-performed by the Boeing 299, but cost less per unit allowing the Army to purchase more aircraft ( an important factor for the expansion of the Army Air Corps ). Fortunately for Boeing, the Army was impressed enough with the Boeing 299 to order several service test examples. The Douglas aircraft was the B-18 Bolo seen below at Castle Air Force Base Museum. You can easily see the close family resemblance to the DC-2/DC-3 Dakota.

b18a.jpg

b18b.jpg

b18c.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

It is the Japanese copy, the Mitsubishi J8M1 Shusui. According to 'the net', the Japanese version made its first powered flight, on 7 July 1945, but ended in a crash after the rocket engine failed during takeoff. No other flights took place. By wars end, Mitsubishi had built seven aircraft.

and what is heavier than a B-29, the B-52 Stratofortress. Beginning with a successful contract bid in 1946, the YB-52 made its first flight in 1952, entering service in 1955.

B-52A at Pima. The oldest B-52 in existance, being the 3rd B-52A built.

b52a.jpg

B-52's in storage at Davis Monthan AFB awaiting disposal

b52b.jpg

B-47, B-52A, B-52D and B-52G at Pima

b52c.jpg

Two of the RAF's early war bombers, the Fairey Battle and Bristol Blenheim. The Battle was seen in 1989 at Duxford, awaiting restoration, while the remains of the first restored Blenheim are scattered across the hangar floor. The aircraft crashed in 1987 as a result of mis-handling the throttles during a 'touch and go' during a display, causing the aircraft to cartwheel resulting in severe damage, though thankfully the crew escaped.

battle1.jpg

blenheim4.jpg

The Boeing Model 247 was an early United States airliner, considered the first such aircraft to fully incorporate advances such as all-metal semi-monocoque construction, a fully cantilevered wing and retractable landing gear. Other advanced features included control surface trim tabs, an autopilot and deicing boots for the wings and tailplane.

There are four survivors, this one belonging to the Museum of Flight in Washington, and it is the only airworthy example.

boeing_247a.jpg

boeing_247b.jpg

The first presidential jet plane, a specially built Boeing 707-120, is known as SAM (Special Air Missions) 970. This aircraft, as well as any other Air Force aircraft, carried the call sign "Air Force One" when the president was aboard. Delivered in 1959 to replace Eisenhower's Super-Constellation, the high-speed jet transport is a flying Oval Office with a modified interior and sophisticated communication equipment.

boeing707a.jpg

Consolidata Catalina/Canso and B-17 Sally B at Duxford around 1984. Behind the 'cat' is a Bristol Freighter

catalina1.jpg

Not an aeroplane, but aviation related; anyone else miss the Fylingdales 'Golf Balls'? Much preferred them to the current concrete toblerone.

fylingdales.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Blackbush about 1982. Several CASA 352 ( license built Ju52's ) are left over from the filming of the TV Series 'Private Schulz'. Also visible is a tail-less and I think engine-less B-25 Mitchell and a Hawker Hunter. These pictures were as close as I could get from the airfield boundary.

Ju52a.jpg

Ju52b.jpg

My Granddad was a great one for photography always had a camera never ever got anything printed as he always felt things were out of focus. Anyway he passsed on in 1967 and cans of negatives have been with the family ever since. Now that I have got a scanner that handles 35mm negs thought I would try and see what he had taken on some and came accross these taken I'm pretty certain at blackbush either 1952 or 53. It was a place he always stopped at to make a brew and let the car engine cool down on his way to Bournemouth. The car in this case was a Vauxhall10 or 12, I can just remember it, but uncles confirm dates.

also a short solent either at Southampton or Poole

hermes 1.jpg

hp hermes hurn 2.jpg

hp hermes hurn 3.jpg

hermes 2.jpg

hp hermes hurn 1.jpg

bill nan roy vauxhall.jpg

short solent 1.jpg

short solent 2.jpg