Pre-Digital Aviation Photos

Jessie The Jeep

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the air show at BAe Hatfield when it groundlooped in 1986. I didn't have a long enough tele lens but have the event on film and one decent shot of it in flight. After that I dragged my reluctant future Mrs round the construction sheds and saw 146s on the line. Much better snaps in good old Ilford XP1.

de Havilland dH88 Comet was restored by British Aerospace works at Hatfield and flew again in 1987. It flew from Hatfield until 1993 when it was moved to the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden by road. After arriving, I believe the aircraft was damaged in a landing accident at Old Warden and then repaired, but is now only taxied.

The photograph was taken in 1988 at North Weald, a year after the post restoration flight.

comet3.jpg

You must have your dates a bit wrong as it didn't fly until 1987 after 49 years grounded. I met the Comet pilot in 2003 and found out he was an ex-Mosquito pilot.

From Shuttleworth website....dH88 Comet

"It was given to the Shuttleworth Collection in 1965 and a restoration to flying condition was begun. However this proved too expensive for the Collection and an appeal was launched for sponsors. About fifty organisations supported the project and restoration was carried out at RAE Farnborough and then at the British Aerospace works at Hatfield. This culminated in the first flight in forty-nine years on Sunday 17 May 1987."

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

These were taken by my dad whilst in Malaya 1n 1951.

The crashed Mosquito was at R.A.F. Tenga. It suffered undercarriage collapse after hitting a grave headstone on the approach!

The crashed Lincoln is so far unidentified, the same with the location.

I do'nt know anything about the D.C.3 or the Electra? Malayan Airways?

Avro Lincoln, Malaya, 1951-2.jpg

D.C.3. Malayan Airways, 1951-2. (Malaya).jpg

Electra, Indonesion Airways, 1951-2. (Malaya).jpg

Mosquito, Malaya, 1951-2 (2).jpg

Mosquito, Malaya, 1951-2 (3).jpg

Mosquito, Malaya, 1951-2. (4).jpg

Mosquito, Malaya, 1951-2..jpg

Mosquito, Malaya, 1951-2.jpg

Mosquito,Malaya,11951-2. (5).jpg

Here's a few more, still searching in the shoe boxes!

The Ju 52, Fennec, and B.25's were at Blackbushe. Taken on a foggy day possibly early '80's. I believe the B.25's were over here to film 'Hanover street' I happened to be going past on my way to Frimley, and luckily had a camera with me.

The others are from a Yeovilton Air Day, also possibly early '80's.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

I've found a couple more for you Steve,

The 'Howard' was based at Dunkeswell for a while back in the '80's, I believe it now resides at Exeter.

The Beech 18 also lives at Exeter, the photos' were taken along time ago when it visited Dunkeswell.

The photo's of Sally B were taken early 1980's at an air day at Dunkeswell, as was the D.C.3.

The Storch and 'mini' Focke wulf were taken at a Yeovilton Air Day.

Still looking!

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

Edited by Jeff Glasser

Here's another view of the Hendon He111, sometime in the 1970's, many years before my previous picture. In this shot, it was long before the ( annoying ) sound and light show was created, the hangar floor was still painted white, and the lights were turned on!

he111d.jpg

Sadly now, this end of the hangar is very dark and gloomy, but at least the other end with the Sunderland in, has now got a new glass wall which improves things.

Somewhat warmer and lighter is the Castle AFB museum HH-43B Huskie rescue helicopter.

huskie1.jpg