WW1 Peugeot

Cel

I think the water pump with no impeller was amazing; what were they thinking ?

It is not as daft as it might seem, many vehicles of that era used a purely "thermosiphon" cooling system, relying on natural convection. In fact in the book "The Bennett College of Motoring" from around 1914 seems to be of the opinion that such systems are superior.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having also reread the whole thread, there seems to be a comment about cutting down some oaks to use as material to build the body? Did I read that right, because I though oak was quite corrosive, in terms of timber?

Trevor

It is not as daft as it might seem, many vehicles of that era used a purely "thermosiphon" cooling system, relying on natural convection. In fact in the book "The Bennett College of Motoring" from around 1914 seems to be of the opinion that such systems are superior.

Fordson E83W's had a thermo-syphon cooling system and they were built from 1938 to 1957 although a water pump was available as an optional extra for some markets

Having also reread the whole thread, there seems to be a comment about cutting down some oaks to use as material to build the body? Did I read that right, because I though oak was quite corrosive, in terms of timber?

Trevor

We had several nice oaks that we cut with our sawmill. Is it the wood itself that is corrosive to the steel? I am not that good in wood things, better with metal!

As for the impeller: I also think it might have something to do with too much cooling, and the thermo-siphon which works good. However, as they kept turning the grease cap on the water pump housing, it was full of grease so there was not much water that could circulate. Maybe just enough? I guess we will never know the details, if only these old things could tell their stories...

Regards

Marcel

Oak / Iron fixings.

I remembering reading that holes were burnt locally before using iron fixings on the old warships.

This was done with the studding when I made my oak house door and it is still looks OK after more than a decade.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
Hello Marcel,

Just found this picture on Delcampe. Don't know if it's useful for your rebuild... :o)

Cheers,

Jan

That picture certainly contains some interesting details, thanks for posting it here!

We have started working on the body. A few months ago we made an offer on several woodworking machines. Last week the call came that our offer was accepted and last Saturday we went to remove them from the shop they were in for 50+ years. Today we used the planer and the band saw. We first cut holes in the long beams, then split them in two halves on the bandsaw and made the openings. We have enough old bolts with square nuts that were given to us by a good friend. More pictures will follow as we make progress!

Marcel

DSCN1853.jpg

DSCN1857.jpg

DSCN1856.jpg

i remember an old Sagar bandsaw that was just stuck outside in a yard in Hereford where i did a blacksmithing course 15 years ago...

it was all open framed...cast...

would`v been run off linedrives would that.

Another place to see old machinery is the national coal mining museum at Caphouse colliary between Wakefield & Huddersfield...theres the old Machine shop there with a load of old line driven stuff like bandsaws, table saws, planer/jointers and spindle moulders...theres also a load of old line driven lathes, millers and grinders...theres an old line driven box & brake radial drill there as well....

Thats a very nice lathe Andy, and an even nicer cabinet you made for it! I know that site, there are pictures of my treadle lathe in the Karger section. Just love belt driven machinery, one of our ongoing projects is a small workshop with a lineshaft. The guarding on the bandsaw was fitted by the previous owner, it is quite simple but it feels indeed a lot safer to work with!

Steve, we actually have no space left in the shed but somehow we always manage to find an empty spot when we find another item we cannot resist:-D

S8306883.JPG

This evening I made new bushings for one cardan joint of the propshaft, the old ones were badly worn. These run inside a bowl that is partially filled with oil.

DSCN1858.jpg

DSCN1859.jpg

reaming to size and inline

DSCN1873.jpg

ready to fit!

DSCN1877.jpg

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

Work continued on the cardan joints, they are both ready to fit now. The diff side is the sliding one, the grooves all have several lubrication holes. It goes to show that back in 1916 this was a new system and a bit overengineered because they probably didn't know how it would act. I have replaced the felt ring but when assembling the shaft I noticed that it is not possible to line up both the cardans. They should be in line but I guess it will work this way? The whole shaft assembly is quite heavy, about 40 kg. Also interesting is how the diff end is connected to the tube, several studs that are riveted to the tube and made flush. You can't see where they are from the outside. I have also ordered new bearings for the gearbox, more of that next week.

Marcel:D

The holes on the gearbox side were oval

DSCN1882.jpg

and now round again

DSCN1884.jpg

also the shaft was worn so a new one was made up

DSCN1887.jpg

DSCN1889.jpg

no welding!

DSCN1900.jpg

new felt seal

DSCN1902.jpg

no alignment between the two cardans:???

DSCN1905.jpg

All good progress and nice to see. How did you cut the spiral grooves in the shaft? The pitch looks very large for normal screw cutting. My approach would have been doing them by hand with a pencil grinder following a rough spiral marked with a pen but yours are a proper professional job!

Do you think the phasing of the ends is deliberate or accidental? if the gearbox output flange and the differential input are not parallel then you would need some phasing but I am not sure how to calculate it.

Thanks for sharing!

Steve

"No alignment between the two cardans? :embarrassed:"

That at would be correct. the bind that occurs every 90 degrees on each joint needs to be offset about 45 degrees from that of the other joint to prevent locking the shaft during rear suspension movement. Looking at your photo the offset of the two joints looks about right to avoid that problem.

I think I understand, thank you for the clarification. Will measure the angles and see how that matches to the phasing, that should be deliberate then?

Steve, on my lathe I have a pitch that is large enough to cut this groove. I was not aware of that until I needed it, so I was quite pleased to find it out!

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing some smaller jobs on the Peugeot. Fitted the cardan on the rear axle, made new filler caps for the radiator and petrol tank and decide to take apart the gearbox because the bearing on the input shaft had too much play. New bearings are ordered and should arrive tomorrow. One of the next jobs will be the sealing of the petrol tank with tank sealer.

Marcel

DSCN1776.jpg

DSCN1941.jpg

DSCN1943.jpg

DSCN1771.jpg

DSCN1769.jpg

DSCN1768.jpg

One of the next jobs will be the sealing of the petrol tank with tank sealer.

A word of warning: Make sure that you use a tank sealer that is specified as resistant to ethanol. These are expensive, but many of the cheaper tank sealants which are available were designed many years ago, when petrol did not contain ethanol. Today, nearly all petrol has ethanol added to it, which attacks the sealant and you end up with a leaking tank full of a nasty grey mess. :cry: