WW1 Peugeot

Cel

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a look in the parts book, and luckily the impeller is of the type that can be machined. So next thing to do is to make a drawing and order the materials. I will also make a new shaft as the original one is badly pitted.

Regards

Marcel

scannen0001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to have a go at removing the first cam this evening. The cotter pin came out quite easily, and so did the cam. The next ones will follow later on this week.

The gearbox looks quite good inside.

Regards

Marcel

DSCN2739.jpg

DSCN2740.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

We now have all the bearings out and are looking to find new ones. They all have metric sizes but most of them are probably not standard anymore. 7 different sizes on a total of 10 bearings!

You can see how the balls were dropped between the races.

P2120371.jpg

Also the center bearing of the camshaft came out, the four cams came off quite easily, new cotter pins will have to be made.

P2120369.jpg

The bores of some spacer rings are not not concentric with the outer diameter. Perhaps they were using steel pipes that they cut to length or was it the apprentice-in-a-bad-mood who made them?

P2120374.jpg

Regards

Marcel

• 4 weeks later...

Not too much news on the restoration. But I received a phone call from the Peugeot museum in France today. I had met this people last week at the Avignon motor festival in France, and they were very interested. I sent them a mail with the serial number and they officially confirmed that my truck left the factory in 1916. They have some documentation that they will send me. No spares left... If you are interested in old Peugeots you should become a member of the museum, they still can supply a lot of info. I will visit the museum later on this year before we start building the wood body as they have one there that I can take measurements from. I'll post the details as soon as I have received the documentation.

All the best

Marcel

• 3 weeks later...

The documentation from the Peugeot museum arrived today! I now know officially that I have a 1504 truck that left the Sochaux factory on the 21st of June 1916. From 1914 to 1916, 1597 trucks of the 1504 type have been built. Here are some pics, they have also sent me an operator's and maintenance manual.

notice desc 1.jpg

notice desc 2.jpg

notice desc 3.jpg

notice desc 4.jpg

caract (2).jpg

caract.jpg

All the best!

Marcel

They only charged me € 10 for the date attestation, the other documents and manual were free. I also became a member for € 49 which gives me several advantages like free entry to the museum.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the cleaning of the crankcase today. The main bearings have been worked on in earlier years, as proved by the self-fabricated shims. Installing the crankshaft will be a job of patience with prussian blue and more shims. I also found a valve seat cutter set and am now after a valve grinder.

Regards

Marcel

P5020442.jpg

Distribution side

P5020441.jpg

The oil is supplied into the pressure header in the bottom of the picture. From there it goes to the 4 holes from where the oil can drip into the trays in the oilpan, the scoops on the conrod take the oil from there. There are also 3 connections to the main crankshaft bearings.

P5020440.jpg

Homemade shim on one of the upper bearing halves.

P5020439.jpg

• 11 months later...

Been busy with an other project, a 1886 engine, but that is nearing completion now so the Peugeot comes on the foreground again. We prepared the frame and wheels for sandblasting today so I can do that some day after work, hopefully within the next two weeks. The front wheels came off, but one bearing is still stuck on the axle. On the other side the bearings came off easily, but the big one has a chunk broken out. We'll see if we can get new ones. An interesting detail was found on the wheel stubs: 'Vermot Paris 03-15'. A quick seach on the internet learned that Charles Vermot was a carriage builder, I have found a picture of a 1840 carriage. I wonder if 03-15 means march 1915?

Marcel

P4130048.jpg

P4130047.jpg

P4130045.jpg

P4130044.jpg

P4130043.jpg

• 6 months later...

Thought it was time for a little update. The frame was sandblasted before the summer. A few weeks ago I picked up work on the engine. One main bearing was damaged where the crankshaft broke off. With a soldering iron the babbitt was laid on, then I turned it roughly down to nearly the finished size and the hand scraping began. After several hours of scraping and testing with prussian blue the bearing fitted like new. I have tested both the other two main bearings and they were ok. Then it was on to the big ends which did not look so good with nearly 0,5mm play in each bearing! Only one solution for that: pouring new babbitt. I made a jig to hold the conrod for both the pouring and turning it to size. The pouring was done last saturday and went quite well, considering it was the first time that I did it. Next job will be to machine them to size, I'm also thinking of using 'Timesaver' lapping compound, anyone have experience with this product? Thanks, Marcel

PB090296.jpg

PB090299.jpg

PB090304.jpg

P6090063.jpg

Hi Cel!

Great to see some positive progress again! Please can you tell me how you went about re-metalling the big ends? Which bits did you heat and did you 'tin' the shells? I did the Autocar years ago and they have survived, more by luck than judgement I think.

Do I understand correctly that you built up the main crank shell by adding white metal a bit at a time with a soldering iron? That sounds quite a difficult procedure which I would never have thought of doing and I would love to hear how it went.

Keep up the good work!

Steve :thumbsup:

This was the first time for me to pour babbitt, so I did what I thought was right. The core is made with a flange on the underside and turned at a 1° angle. I put a layer of soot on it and blocked the oil holes in the bearings. Then all the bits were heated to a temperature that you could not touch them anymore: the bearings for a good adherence of the babbitt and the core to prevent the babbitt from solidify too fast. When I removed the old babbitt from the shells, a thin layer remained so I did not need to 'tin' them. In a perfect world the cooling should be controlled so the babbitt can crystallize in an optimal way. The procedure with the soldering iron is not that difficult. Prior to doing this I had casted some babbitt bars from some old bearings that I saved. The bearing shell was thoroughly cleaned and slightly heated before adding the babbitt with the soldering iron. I am quite happy with the result after the scraping, although it has costed me a lot of elbow grease! Will post pictures in the weekend. Regards, Marcel

I have been busy machining the bearings and fitting them to size. One is about ready, two machined and the last one needs to be repoured. We took apart the steering box and it is in very nice shape. The leadscrew and the bronze nut virtually show no wear. Same for the sliding dovetails which connect the nut to the steering arm. Regards, MarcelDSCN1101.jpg

DSCN1093.jpg

DSCN1099.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A while back we wanted to take the steering wheel off but destroyed the brass nut that it was fixed with. With a hole saw we removed all the remaining brass and were able to pull the wheel off, it is a conical fit.

I ordered a piece of bronze last week and machined a new nut this evening. The thread is metric, M38 x 1,5.

Machining and threading

PC120324.jpg

As my 'big' milling machine is still set up for machining the bearings, the little Gorton did the job

PC120327.jpg

Parting off on the bandsaw

PC120328.jpg

Finishing the convex/concave surface

PC120330.jpg

A bit more polishing will be needed before it will be ready to fit

PC120332.jpg

This is the one at the museum

DSCN1049.jpg

Marcel

• 2 months later...

The front wheels needed new solid rubber as the original was loose on the rim. The rears still originall and in relatively good shape. After getting different quotes and prices from expensive to very expensive we found the solution when we picked up some solid rubber tyre sections last december. We broke down with the tractor unit and low loader on the trip, and we only got the equipment across the channel a few weeks ago. We rolled the sections to size and bolted them to the rims. As they were too wide we had to cut off the excess and put them on the lathe to machine the rubber. It turned out quite nice. They will be pressed on next week so we can fit the wheels.

Marcel

P2280355.jpg

P2280354.jpg

P3010366.jpg

P3010367.jpg

Marcel

As one with four rims to re-rubber in the near future I'm interested in this alternative. Can you be a little more specific about the type/source of rubber and the mechanics of application to the rim. And what was the difference in cost? Thanks. Robert