Barn find fordson standard n

Jim Clark

As the old saying goes "every cloud has a silver lining" we had a bit of luck recently. As some of you may remember I recovered a farmers runaway tractor last year.

tractorrecovery012.jpg

While we were there chating to the old chap he commented he had a Fordson Standard N which his father had bought just after WW2, Anyway to cut a long story short my nephew Paul has bought the tractor and after blowing up the tyres, cleaning the carb and fuel tank. Also replacing the magneto that some B****** stole and adding new fuel, a couple of swings on the starting handle it sprang into life after being parked for 33 years. We then drove it back to our workshop where he has been working on it.

fordsonstandardn007.jpg

fordsonstandardn006.jpg

fordsonstandardn005.jpg

FORDSONSTANDARDN004.jpg

fordsonstandardn015.jpg

On one of the rear tyres we found WD marked which is a nice touch.

fordsonstandardn012.jpg

Jim.

great looking project , there used to be an old Case going round the shows in the same condition , the owner just gave it a rub over and washed it with a mix of diesel and oil ,, he had got lots of trophies , much to the disapointment to the folk that had spent thousands on there restored tractors

Nice find, Ive developed an interest in old tactors. Not sure why, must be a time in your life when you like them and look into getting one. Besides, our youngest, 2 year old has a fascination with them.

I'm in the same position my 2 year old lad is tractor mad. Only shows a passing interest in my military stuff. Put a few bids in on tractor projects on Ebay but really must finish my other stuff first.

Wide wings on the Fordson would indicate early war years, I believe they were narrowed to save steel later on.

Paul thinks this tractor was probably built 1939-40 as it is orange under the dark green, so its possible this tractor started off orange but was changed in the factory to green for the war effort. The only parts that are purely green are the fuel tank and wheels, these items being the last parts fitted.

The front wheels are a bit of a mistery as they are not the same as any we have seen before on a Standard N. They are adjustable to give four different settings of track width by bolting the rim in different positions to the lugs on the centre.

fordsonstandardn008.jpg

Paul is not going to restore it to factory finish condition as he prefers to just give it the oily rag treatment, only doing necessary maintenance.

Jim.

Wish I could have done that with mine but it was in such bad condition that I had no choice but to completely dismantle it and start over . Actually a better choice would have been to have kept my hands in my pockets at the auction and leave it for the scrapman but you all know how it goes . :-D

The front wheels are rather unusual for a Standard.

my thoughts too, look like they are for row crop work but the rear ones are not adjustable :confused:

try a photo and letter in the tractor and machiery mag, someone reading that mag will problably know

regards

Paul thinks this tractor was probably built 1939-40 as it is orange under the dark green, so its possible this tractor started off orange but was changed in the factory to green for the war effort. Jim.

Now here is a first for me:coffee: Does anyone know why they started off orange and then painted green????

AND I KNOW THE ANSWER!!!!:shocked:

Now here is a first for me:coffee: Does anyone know why they started off orange and then painted green????

AND I KNOW THE ANSWER!!!!:shocked:

hi jack, i think it was for at the factory as rows of orange tractors might attract the attention of the Luftwaffe :)

regards

hi jack, i think it was for at the factory as rows of orange tractors might attract the attention of the Luftwaffe :)

regards

:computerrage::computerrage::mailforyou: :iamsmiling:

Great - my chance of five minutes of fame and..............

• 1 month later...