WW2 snaps

plainmilitary

Ted, going from the size of the roundels on the vehicles do you think they might be 'left overs' from 2TAF? As huge roundels were a trademark of theirs and they probably had not reached a re-paint stage yet. Or was there a post war AMO that specified these large items for certain situations? (Before the pedants dive in, this is asking not stating).

The TAF vehicles were required to have the "as large as possible" air recognition symbols in the form of a roundal. I was sent an interesting document recently which was from a joint service committee file circa 1948 on devicing a future air recognition marking. It stated the clearly that the star was the Army's chosen marking for D Day whereas the large roundal was the RAF's choice.

So yes I would say many roundals would have remained until a repaint was undertaken

TED

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan about 25 years ago i paid a number of visits to the artillery library the one of Shooters hill that looks like a castle, i remember i found a number of albums with some good pre war shots from India and Afghanistan depicting guns and tractors, likewise post war in germany with Matadors Militants and morris quads. As you stated lots of WW1 items and large manufactures drawings

Les

Yes thats the lot I went through but not the drawings they are still being catalogued on site by someone else and are the olg Arsenal Gun factory drawings.

There were some lovely ones of the Kyber PAss and Hindu cush and the number of times the Taj Mahal came up well!!. Then there were the demob pics taken at the parade square at disbandment of certain regiments, 25 pdrs all bulled and 57 HAA with MAtadors and 3.7" guns

The castle, Royal Military Accademy Woolwich, THE SHOP. ( Woolwich's 2nd B40 in the arsenal being the first) has been vacated by the MOD in a state of disrepair like the Rotunda, and has now become another of those housing projects for rich people, as did the Royal Herbert Military Hospital at the cross roads, some years previously.

Have a look at 28days later urban exploration site they have some good views when they sneaked in there some time back, no damage take photos and leave.

• 2 weeks later...

On the picture that shows the front of a bren carrier you can see the formation sign for the 1st. Polish Armoured Division. They landed in Normandy and took part in the hard fighting around the Falaise Gap.Standing their ground on Mont Ormel and fighting off all comers including SS and German Para Units. This hill has a monument on top to these gallant Poles. The second pic. of a bren carrier appears to be a flamethrowing version, I am not sure but hope someone will have an idea. John.

Edited by Blackpowder44
More info.