Parking on public road

Eastblock

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re-reading the thread, it doesn't make much sense now half the posts have been deleted. So here, for the second time, is my personal view as to the legality of parking larger military vehicles on the road on a longterm basis.

This involves them being left on the road overnight.

Reg 25 (5) of the road vehicle lighting regulations 1989 therefore applies.

This legislation forbids a vehicle to be LEFT (parked) on a road at night without certain lights being switched on, but does make a few exceptions to this overall requirement.

Any vehicle has to comply with ceratin rules if no lights are to be left switched on during the hours of darkness,

The rules are briefly

For a vehicle to be left on a road at night without lights switched on it must fit one of the following four definitions

It must be a Passenger Vehicle, but not a large passenger vehicle. (it must be designed solely for the carraige of up to 9 persons including the driver, and their possesions)

it may be a goods vehicle unladen weight not exceeding 1525 Kgs

it may be an invalid Carraige

or lastly it may be a motorcycle.

A Trailer cannot be left on road at night without lights switched on whether or not it is coupled to a vehicle.

The places where vehicles can be left overnight are roads with a speed limit of 30 MPH or less.

provided there are no statutary restrictions (Yellow lines, ZIG Zag Lines that sort of thing) and provided that the vehicle is parked with its nearside as close to the kerb as possible, (without actually being on the pavement). The parked vehicle must be parked at least 10 metres from any road junction. In a one way street a vehicle can park against either kerb, (ie with either nearside or offside against the kerb.)

A vehicle matching the criteria can be left without lights left on, provided it is in a lay-bay indicated by the prescribed sign or markings, or it is a lay-bay identified by a different road texture or colour from the main carraigeway.

A vehicle matching the above criteria can also be left in "an area set aside as parking space" without the need to show lights.

Lights which have to be left on during lighting up time if the above criteria are not satisfied are front position lamps (side lights) Rear position lamps, rear numberplate lamp. any side marker lamps fitted to the vehicle, any front or rear outline marker lamps fitted.

The parking of goods vehicles without lights switched on is only allowed if the vehicle isn't carrying a projecting load that requires projection lamps fitted.

It is my view that Armoured Cars, Reconnaisance vehicles, 4x4's with trailers attached, tanks, large transport vehicles such as Bedfords, Matadors Militants etc and a whole list of other types cannot fit the categories of vehicles that can be left on a town street at night, without leaving lights switched on througout lighting up time 365 days of the year.

In practice you may get away with parking these vehicles, and maybe the police and the Council won't intervene, but technically it is illegal to park this sort of vehicle on the road at night unless you can arrange a charging, switching system to ensure, that even if you work late at night in the "Office" the lights will be switched on when the law requires them to be.

If a military vehicle that cannot fit the one of the four criteria listed above is left on a public road without lights left on at night, then its owner may not be breaching any parking regulations but will be breaking Reg 24(5) of the "road vehicle Lighting Regulations" 1989.

This is a criminal offence and may mean that if committed, insurance cover is null and void.

It may also be lawful to leave a vehicle on a road at night "in an area outlined by lamps or signs to prevent it being a danger" This is the rule that allowed road rollers, heavy haulage contractors such as Pickfords, and others to park up in an area "outlined" by paraffin road lamps. this may be a legal way of doing things, but you will probably loose a lot of lamps to collectors of such items, local Asbo louts, drunks and the like.....

Edited by antarmike

What the council doesn't know is that Ian has taken the lounge window out & is using it as an extension:cool2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Before anyone jumps in armed with a copy of the current Planning /Building Regulations, let's all agree that's one brilliant idea! :)

Over the last 8 years I have often parked my vehicle on my drive and have had no problems from the local council.

000_0066.jpg

Have you fitted a "Hope" safety bar to put the brakes on automatically as you approach the wall, or do you wait for the bump?, But seems like a perect invitation to Burglars to get in your open bedroom window by scrambling up the Bedford!

Edited by antarmike

Over the last 8 years I have often parked my vehicle on my drive and have had no problems from the local council.

000_0066.jpg

As I say some councils are friendly, others less so. I doubt whether Aylesbury Vale would be much impressed by what you do if it was on their patch.

Your council area seems a very good one to live in. Others would pick up on the fact that the Bedford isn't parked fully on your land, and a picky council might object to that part of your vehicle that overhangs the pavement. They would argue that although the wheels are on your property, part of the vehicle is "on" the pavement. AVDC would be out with a plumb line to prove this.

(in exactly the same way that when parking near doulble yellow lines, it is not where your wheels are that count, but where a vertical line, drawn from the extremity of your vehicle touches the ground. If this point is over a yellow line or out of a parking bay, techically you are in the wrong.)

I am sure though if you have managed 8 years you sholud be alright. Just don't move to Aylesbury!!!

Edited by antarmike

A friend of mine was issued with a parking fine on his ford d series which he used to transport his vintage tractors , it was issued at 2.00 am and the offence was parking a vehicle over 1500kgs without it being lit front and rear

The following week he attended a vintage tractor rally in his AEC Matador, it rained from the friday night to the sunday morning and on sunday afternoon he was the hero of the show winching out trade stalls and the complete fairground from the show which had become a complete washout .

When asked by the local constabulary if he could assist in recovering there mobile community police station (which was the last thing on site ) he told them in his broad northamptonshire accent that he was not interested in offering his assistance in any form (or words to that affect) and drove off in the matador :iloveyou: on his way home he passed the local recovery firm on there way to rescue the peelers JUSTICE !

A friend of mine was issued with a parking fine on his ford d series which he used to transport his vintage tractors , it was issued at 2.00 am and the offence was parking a vehicle over 1500kgs without it being lit front and rear

The following week he attended a vintage tractor rally in his AEC Matador, it rained from the friday night to the sunday morning and on sunday afternoon he was the hero of the show winching out trade stalls and the complete fairground from the show which had become a complete washout .

When asked by the local constabulary if he could assist in recovering there mobile community police station (which was the last thing on site ) he told them in his broad northamptonshire accent that he was not interested in offering his assistance in any form (or words to that affect) and drove off in the matador :iloveyou: on his way home he passed the local recovery firm on there way to rescue the peelers JUSTICE !

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Which is precisely my point, If the Fuzz can pick on you, one day they just might, so don't give them the opportunity..

Parking a large vehicle without lights may seem be "only technically" illegal, and of no relevance, and many of us may chose to ignore that we should be leaving lights on. But you can always find one zealous copper who intends to get a conviction who will see at large vehicle parked without lights and decides to make an easy nick.

Edited by antarmike

If you need something that is independent of the vehicle battery, can be fitted/removed easily and come on automatically what about solar garden lights? They come in different colours, don't cost much, and are self-contained.

The more cunning among us could transplant the internals into something a bit more suitable / inkeeping perhaps?

If you need something that is independent of the vehicle battery, can be fitted/removed easily and come on automatically what about solar garden lights? They come in different colours, don't cost much, and are self-contained.

The more cunning among us could transplant the internals into something a bit more suitable / inkeeping perhaps?

I like that idea... good thinking that man!

The law says that the lights fitted must be switched on. It does not say extra lights can be fitted and left on and the original manufacturers lights (ie those required to be fitted by law) can then be left switched off.

The mandatory lights which "vehicle Lighting Regs say have to be left on are those I have listed, the Side lamps, numberplate lamps, side marker lamps, end profile marker lamps. etc fitted to the vehicle by the manufacturer.

The letter of the law means that if a vehicle has marker lights fitted to the nearside, ie against the kerb, then these have to be left on too!

Solar Garden lamps idea might be adapted to replace paraffin roadlamps, since marking "An AREA" with roadlamps within which the vehicle is left without lights, is still I believe legal.

Edited by antarmike

The mandatory lights which "vehicle Lighting Regs say have to be left on are those I have listed, the Side lamps, numberplate lamps etc fitted to the vehicle by the manufacturer.

obviously the law you have quoted is the law but for my own interest do you know if the old rules still exist. I remember (and still have in the garage) when my dad used to fix a "parking light" to his car which was attached to the drivers door (so offside) and was red at the back and white at the front. It ran off the car battery.

or did this just apply to cars and, as you said much earlier, they do not have to show lights now?

well what about a skip left in the road then just needs cones and a few flashing lights around it and full of soil concrete ect weighs around 10 tonne,s :coffee:

No-one said the law was written in "joined up writing" or that various acts of legislation sat happily with other.

"Vehicle lighting regs" only relates to vehicles, skips are not vehicles and if the law governing how a skip may be left seems out of balance, that is because of the hotch potch, patch it up, ad bits on, revoke other bits way that English law has evolved.