croc

Scammell Explorer Gallery

Hi All. This is my first posting on this thread and hopefully will lead to me fullfilling a very longstanding ambition of owning an Explorer.

I am currently following up a lead on one localy to me but it may turn out to be another let down.

I have one outstanding question that I have not been able to resolve, so I am hoping that this will be the place to get it answered. Can the Meadows petrol engine be converted to run on LPG?

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob. There is this one on EBay which still has the Meadows. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCAMMELL-EXPLORER-6X6-ARMY-WINCH-TRUCK-OFF-ROADER-RECOVERY-WRECKER-/150780677951?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item231b3a8f3f

Have a look a couple of pages back for more info.

Needs a bit of work but is perhaps a little overpriced? It may be nowhere near you either. I think there was some talk about LPG ages ago in the thread. Someone will be along soon who can advise you no doubt.

Good luck with your search. Darren

Hi All. This is my first posting on this thread and hopefully will lead to me fullfilling a very longstanding ambition of owning an Explorer.

I am currently following up a lead on one localy to me but it may turn out to be another let down.

I have one outstanding question that I have not been able to resolve, so I am hoping that this will be the place to get it answered. Can the Meadows petrol engine be converted to run on LPG?

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob, welcome, fine ambition you have!

Yes they can run on LPG, a few have done the conversion and it can make more sense than dieselizing, I'm sure there is a discussion on it somewhere which I can't find at the mo. Someone with a bit more memory left will no doubt find it for you!

576328_10151554245890504_509840503_23796592_2123974505_n.jpg

Not seen this Explorer before, unknown location? looks like a nice unusual job has been done to create a genset body.

Not seen that before either looks great, they did well with the colour coding too, Scammell, safety barrier, car, sign and window! :-D

I saw this in either a vintage magazine or World's Fair recently, was owned and restored by someone up north if memory serves me correct.

hi all, i think that explorer was restored and sign written by graham booth, i am sure it was in graham,s yard for a long time. all the best tony g.

hi all, i think that explorer was restored and sign written by graham booth, i am sure it was in graham,s yard for a long time. all the best tony g.

Maybe, but are you not confusing it with the one Leanne used to own?

Leanne Booth Scammell Explorer

I think this is the Explorer Graham was restoring in his yard ! Seems to have a different rear body ! Big Ted is his name I believe ! :D

Big%20Ted%20027.JPG

DSC00488.JPG

Just found via my dutchess who was sent the picture that this was taken over Easter at Tatton Park Liverpool, perhaps why us southern boys have not seen her.

Could have been Tatton Park but not Liverpool , it's near Knutsford in Cheshire.:)

Just found via my dutchess who was sent the picture that this was taken over Easter at Tatton Park Liverpool, perhaps why us southern boys have not seen her.

Could have been Tatton Park but not Liverpool , it's near Knutsford in Cheshire.:)

If you check out this link guys it says it was taken at Tatton Park back in 2009: Scammell Explorer :)

I think this is the one that was for sale on ebay last year. Saw it driving to it's new home when visiting my other half's sister in Milton Keynes. Did look very nice and was trundling along nicely.

Ed

With the radial/crossply tyre combination is that not an immediate 6 points if caught on the road? :police::police:

With the radial/crossply tyre combination is that not an immediate 6 points if caught on the road? :police::police:

only if they are on the same axle, I think :)

Radials on the rear i believe......So technically yes....illegal :-D

Doesn't the legislation refer specifically to CARS? In which case, :stop: :pfrt: :n00b:

Doesn't the legislation refer specifically to CARS? In which case, :stop: :pfrt: :n00b:

No, but there is a get out clause if the tyre has a tread width of 300mm or more which should cover a 14.00x20.

However, does an Explorer have a driven front axle, it could be argued that it is only driven on demand?

In the case of a truck with two axles, cross-ply tyres must not be fitted to the rear axle if radial-ply tyres are fitted to the front, unless the rear axle is fitted with wide tyres having a tread contact width per tyre greater than 300mm or having twinned-tyre wheel assemblies.

It is illegal to mix types of tyre on steerable axles.

It is also illegal to fit tyres of different type on two or more driven axles.