Scammell Explorer Gallery

Hi All. This is my first posting on this thread and hopefully will lead to me fullfilling a very longstanding ambition of owning an Explorer.

I am currently following up a lead on one localy to me but it may turn out to be another let down.

I have one outstanding question that I have not been able to resolve, so I am hoping that this will be the place to get it answered. Can the Meadows petrol engine be converted to run on LPG?

Regards

Bob

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bob. There is this one on EBay which still has the Meadows. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCAMMELL-EXPLORER-6X6-ARMY-WINCH-TRUCK-OFF-ROADER-RECOVERY-WRECKER-/150780677951?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item231b3a8f3f

Have a look a couple of pages back for more info.

Needs a bit of work but is perhaps a little overpriced? It may be nowhere near you either. I think there was some talk about LPG ages ago in the thread. Someone will be along soon who can advise you no doubt.

Good luck with your search. Darren

Hi All. This is my first posting on this thread and hopefully will lead to me fullfilling a very longstanding ambition of owning an Explorer.

I am currently following up a lead on one localy to me but it may turn out to be another let down.

I have one outstanding question that I have not been able to resolve, so I am hoping that this will be the place to get it answered. Can the Meadows petrol engine be converted to run on LPG?

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob, welcome, fine ambition you have!

Yes they can run on LPG, a few have done the conversion and it can make more sense than dieselizing, I'm sure there is a discussion on it somewhere which I can't find at the mo. Someone with a bit more memory left will no doubt find it for you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Just found via my dutchess who was sent the picture that this was taken over Easter at Tatton Park Liverpool, perhaps why us southern boys have not seen her.

Could have been Tatton Park but not Liverpool , it's near Knutsford in Cheshire.:)

If you check out this link guys it says it was taken at Tatton Park back in 2009: Scammell Explorer :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is the one that was for sale on ebay last year. Saw it driving to it's new home when visiting my other half's sister in Milton Keynes. Did look very nice and was trundling along nicely.

Ed

Doesn't the legislation refer specifically to CARS? In which case, :stop: :pfrt: :n00b:

No, but there is a get out clause if the tyre has a tread width of 300mm or more which should cover a 14.00x20.

However, does an Explorer have a driven front axle, it could be argued that it is only driven on demand?

In the case of a truck with two axles, cross-ply tyres must not be fitted to the rear axle if radial-ply tyres are fitted to the front, unless the rear axle is fitted with wide tyres having a tread contact width per tyre greater than 300mm or having twinned-tyre wheel assemblies.

It is illegal to mix types of tyre on steerable axles.

It is also illegal to fit tyres of different type on two or more driven axles.