Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just the way that your Scammell attracts the sunlight whilst the other thing lurks in shadow ought to tell you something John..:D

Bernard, i did not think it would pass without such comment !! you may have a point, i will tell you once we know is she is a runner.

Onto Scammell matters, my son today made me route out all the old still pictures for a project he is doing, and i thought those of you interested will like these, and bring back some memories.

First a nice line up of explorers as GDSF about 1997

25-11-2012 11;27;05.jpg

The second is War and peace the same year in the ring, when we had plenty of time to play.

25-11-2012 11;31;26.jpg

Then next is back to GDSF 1998, with what i remember as the best turnout of Explorers ever, We amused the Commentator John Collins every day with another set of antics, latterly in the week Brian Carter came up with the idea of one major Scammell train, all driven by ladies, one driving the rest steering, Lucy did well in my old girl to get them rolling as i remember it being over 100 ton rolling start but needed assistance by the following on the turn into the ring as the drag was massive, we pushed the Scarab for a laugh to make it look like it was in charge of the tow.

25-11-2012 20;36;00.jpg

Lastly here are some pics of those that have been bought by Big Steve and myself for spares over the years all well over 10 years ago, The remains on the trailer was a right mess with i recall only one front wheel not seized, we suspend towed this out of the layby up the A31 the wrong way to get it into the farm for the tyre to blow just as we left the main road! I think JCB Pete has the final off cuts in his shed?

25-11-2012 11;12;08.jpg

25-11-2012 11;31;19.jpg

25-11-2012 20;31;29.jpg

25-11-2012 11;11;38.jpg

25-11-2012 11;11;01 Old Scammell Pictures.jpg

25-11-2012 11;00;34.jpg

Yes thanks for the pictures John. GDSF has always seemingly drawn a good number of Explorers. Judging by the picture with the Scarab on the front I'm guessing this would be on the Sunday afternoon parade as the Commercial field looks extremely empty compared to what it would be like during the rest of the week.

Scott

well yes i think it is... i was expecting a little socket.

where on earth will i find one of those? were they fitted to other vehicles also?

My Explorer had a smaller version bolted to the outside of the cab on the driver's side; I still have a new one here, the base plate is 123x90mm. I also have a new long inter vehicle lead set if you need one.

• 1 month later...
I've just seen the youtube movie of John Coombers Cummins engined Explorer:D:D:D

How difficult is it to put a Cummins engine in an Explorer and what type is best?

Regards

Bob

you will need a cummins L 10 mine was fitted by the previos owner you can look at younguns explorer blog to get an idea of what you up against andy

Hi All

Happy new Year.

does anyone have photos of what the explorer factory heater looked like, and was anything similar fitted to anything else?

thanks

the heater on mine is fitted to the inside of the rear cab paneljust off the floor behind where your right heal is, its a coil of pipe fiulled with water piped from the rear axle oil cooler so is hot a 24 volt fan blows the air in the general direction of the winch operating lever it really makes no dicernable differance if you dont have 1 i really woudent lose sleep over trying to find 1 and any way proper drivers always have the front window open sorry not bright enough to post photos andy

Hi All

Happy new Year.

does anyone have photos of what the explorer factory heater looked like, and was anything similar fitted to anything else?

thanks

Hi, sorry don't know of any direct replacements we put in a Bedford RL heater this fits on the floor between the gate change and cowl, it also looks of the period.

However I bet I have only used it five times in 17 years, you can't beat a window open !!

I've just seen the youtube movie of John Coombers Cummins engined Explorer:D:D:D

How difficult is it to put a Cummins engine in an Explorer and what type is best?

Regards

Bob

Bob,my engine is the old NHK 220 14 litre, whilst it fills the bay well and led the way when done over 20 years ago by Joe Daws , today the only cummins practically and economically to use is a L10 ,Look at Bernard Reeves's or Young Gun's.

The scammell heater was a box about 18" X 14" X 14" that fits under the the passenger seat right next to the gear stick....the heater pipes then run up the rear cab wall to a valve half way up and then on up to another heater box mounted on the rear wall...This heater is the widow demister pulls fresh air from outside and delivers the toasty fresh air to the screens and door windows via hoses clamped inside the roof.....I think the heaters were deleted on later contracts.. only the first contract had heaters, demisters and an insulated double skinned cab.....I have both heater units in the shed and might fit them back in one day but you never really get cold in the cab once you have plugged all the holes in the front fire wall....

After a major search I finally found some 6x4's I took of a couple of explorers in 2001, these were two trucks I fell in love with. Never been back to see if they are still there but I suspect not, the area looks to have been cleared from the google satellite image :cry:

Oh, and I'm looking for an explorer at the moment, cash waiting, any leads appreciated!!

IMG.jpg