rampant rivet

Bedford MWD restoration

After many months of searching I am now the proud owner of an MWD :D thanks to a chance encounter at the Dallas digout I now have this little beauty to keep me busy for a while. With the chassis No. MWD 294* looks like its a quite an early aero screen according to rippo ;).

100_2597.jpg

Yes MW's can be grown in a greenhouse :D

100_2599.jpg

100_2598.jpg

100_2606.jpg

All strapped down and ready to roll

100_2609.jpg

65 miles later and using my mate Neils Dodge to pull the old girl off the beaver tail

100_2610.jpg

Reg and the rivet

100_2611.jpg

All tucked up in new shed :laugh: note clean carpet !!

Very great thanks firstly to Shawn I hope you enjoy watching her restoration also to Reg and MF Freeman for use of the Beaver tail and my old mate Neil for helping unload and push her into the shed with the Dodge, more pics to follow :D

100_2607.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

Congratulations. I am looking forward to following your resto log, just as a few years ago with your C15 on MLU!

good luck,

Alex

Cheers Alex am looking forward to starting the restoration

rippo said:
Hello Jeremy,

rippo said:

rippo said:

Hi

Will have a few years of searching in front of me while completing the resto do you happen to have a good close up image of the enamel badge I should be looking for ?

Edited by rampant rivet

Hi Jeremy,

What a nice find and welcome to the MW's aeroscreen club...

Hope to see lots of pictures of her in the future...

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Louis

Let's shake hands since I'm restoring a late bedford MWD at the moment! I hope we all can support you during the restoration through exchanging pictures, experiences and answers to the many questions that will come! I wish you good luck with the restoration project!

Danny

Congratulations Jeremy! Ready for Wartime in the Vale is it? ;)

I'm sure it will be up to your normal standard and be a real stunner...

Thanks Guys :D this will be a long term resto with no deadline unlike the Champ thing and as its an early one there are parts missing that will take some time to find, luckily the chassis etc is in really good cond

100_2497.jpg

100_2500.jpg

100_2509.jpg

Cheers RR.

Edited by rampant rivet

Hi Jeremy,

Nice to see more details of your new MW..

Did you find a contract number on her..(on the back body or in the cab)??

Is it possible to show us some pictures of the towing hook..???

If you are looking for a rear toolbox for the right hand side i might have one for you..

Cheers,

Louis

Edited by Louis

Excellent find and a restoration which I will look forward to following.

Looks like where it was resting was an interesting place, Thomas Green Road Roller and a Scammell Explorer in the background of one of the pictures.

Hi Jeremy,

Nice to see more details of your new MW..

Did you find a contract number on her..(on the back body or in the cab)??

Is it possible to show us some pictures of the towing hook..???

If you are looking for a rear toolbox for the right hand side i might have one for you..

Cheers,

Louis

Hi Louis

Will take lots more pics on tues for you, yes I am looking for the tool box send me a PM please, I have not found a contract number yet but will have a good look again I will also look carefully on the bonnet and wings for any ID.

RR.

Oh no, not more competition for those rare parts!:D Seriously though, nice to see another one on the way, I am sure we can all help each other along (or console each other!).:cry:

He He :D Do we know how many MW's are being restored on here at the mo ? John do you happen to have the dimensions of the petrol tank trays as I will need to fabricate two.

Good idea am going to spend tues assesing whats missing and form a plan of attack :nut: will be taking lots of reference pics along the way.

Great find, Jeremy!

If it ends up restored like the C15, it will be a very good one :thumbsup:

Hanno

Great find, Jeremy!

If it ends up restored like the C15, it will be a very good one :thumbsup:

Hanno

Thanks Hanno I hope the MW will not take five years to restore like the C15, hopefully spares will be easier to locate plus this MW has an engine in situ :D

Found this today at the Coleford festival of transport looks similar to the type used on MW's but am not sure

100_2612.jpg

100_2613.jpg

Looks in good order and if correct will come in handy.:banana:

Good find and it is an early one with brass lamp bezel and metal lamp switch knob, they were made well in to post war times and knobs and bezels were changed to plastic, but interchangeable.

Beginners luck :cool2: Just checked parts list and looks to be correct thanks for info Richard as its an early one looks like it will be used on the Mw not bad for a fiver :-D

Beginners luck :cool2: Just checked parts list and looks to be correct thanks for info Richard as its an early one looks like it will be used on the Mw not bad for a fiver :-D

That was a bargain, and they can be dismantled to clean the contacts as they usually only suffer from that.

Hello,

Nice find jeremy, as Richard says there are a few variations of this switxh panel. The panel you have is a wartime one, but not an early or prewar. The early/prewar ones have three rivets on the face where yours only has two. The early handbook shows three rivets, and the later handbook shows two.

The one you have in the truck looks to me, to be the original, and the faces can be re-painted. :angel: Looking at your dash your only missing the data plates, apart from the orange lights, the rest is original.

100_2532.jpg

Edited by rippo

Yes I see what you mean, I will keep my original switch if serviceable have rebuilt the champ switch unit and still have some lettraset left over to do the lettering.

May swap or sell this unit if not needed for Mw bits in the future :D.

Edited by rampant rivet

These are the best pictures i have of the Enamel badge. Iff you zoom right you can make out its not the normal round badge, more like the pre-war civilian badge. I would guess the badge came from a civilian model, but i can't find it yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74530[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74531[/ATTACH]

This is the badge I may use on mine,it has a slight V in it, rather than flat, so probably came off a civilian truck grille.

bedfordbadge001_zps91de3c7e.jpg

That would cetainly look the part, how many fixing holes does it have? loos to be enamel as well. What did it come off?

I have been told, there was once, a Bedford front panel with the enamel badge on, being sold at beltring. I think Maurice saw it but it was very expensive. Maybe he can shed some light on this?

Regards

Rippo.