Bedford MWD restoration

Clutch sorted, engine block had second coat of paint broken bolt removed from bellhousing and started sorting front brakes

100_3070.jpg

100_3074.jpg

Have brought brake cylinder home to rebuild with new seals but the weather is sooo nice I,m out on the Norton tomo :-D

Clutch sorted, engine block had second coat of paint broken bolt removed from bellhousing and started sorting front brakes

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77671[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77672[/ATTACH]

Have brought brake cylinder home to rebuild with new seals but the weather is sooo nice I,m out on the Norton tomo :-D

You can quickly go off people you know......

Can we have a piccy of the Norton as well? Pretty please!

First of the brake cylinders has been stripped cleaned and honed ooooooooer :shocked: ! not good ! same problem as master cylinder with damage to bottom of the bore plus the bleed screw is rather rotten I think I'll take all four off the truck and get them sleeved in stainless with the same guys that are doing the master cylinder its cheaper than having to buy NOS and being stainless will see me out :D

Managed to remove the other brake cylinders today and will strip them down to asses their cond already I can see that the nearside cylinders lug for the return spring is broken and the spring is missing so unless I can effect a repair that one is shot, so if anyone has an old nearside rear cylinder they don't need then the rivet could do with one, it doesn't matter about the state of the bore as I am going to have them re sleeved in stainless, the other thing I noticed today is the hubs seals will need replacing as they are just beginning to leak and as I have a new set of front brake linings and the existing rear shoes are contaminated and on the thin side I am going to replace all the brake linings.

100_3079.jpg

cobwebs everywhere !

100_3078.jpg

more cobwebs !

100_3080.jpg

On the good side today the Gearbox is back on and clutch fork fitted :-D

Doh ! yes barrel on at wrong angle :banghead: will adjust at next session and repaint box black, cheers John always pays to have a second pair of eyes :bow:am trying to strip down rear brakes cylinders yuck !! but need to service the champ ready for next wkend at Evesham :-D

Edited by rampant rivet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An update :D not had much spare time lately because of the good weather I've been away most weekends at vintage shows etc so hav'nt had much time to spare have managed to flat pack the rear body to allow access to rear chassis and have found a spare CAV Generator at an Autojumble near Garstang whilst visiting the inlaws :nut: plus a NOS carb at the Wartime in the Vale show and the headlights are coming together :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79867[/ATTACH]

100_3167.jpg

100_3191.jpg

Have decided to replace all brake cylinders with NOS. ones and am now in the process of sourcing new hub seals

100_3279.jpg

Am also starting to inspect the hubs and drums but already I have found one inner wheel bearing race revolving in the hub on removal it looks like the hub is scrap so I'm on the look out for a good replacement :rolleyes: three steps forward one back, this is reminding me of my C15 restoration !!!!!!

Cheers 

I think the outer race has started to revolve and has worn a groove in the hub, I will ring Pete tomo as he has some parts for me to pick up soon will contact chrisg can he supply front seals as well ?

RR.

Edited by rampant rivet

Had a look at the instrument panel

100_3280.jpg

bit of rot to cut out and surplus holes to fill.

100_3281.jpg

100_3284.jpg

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=74589&d=1364834010&thumb=1

test fit of instruments

100_3282.jpg

Have removed front nearside spring and shock absorber for refurbishment plus the sump is back on what a job :nut:

Edited by rampant rivet

More fun today as I disassembled the nearside springs only to find three of the leaves are broken :embarrassed: will have to remove the other side next to see what cond they are in so if anyone has some front springs going spare the rivet is on the lookout.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80102[/ATTACH]

I had a similar problem with my Morris Commercial C4 front spring. I took it to: http://www.midlandroadsprings.co.uk/ They replaced the broken leafs and re tempered both n/s and o/s front springs and made a set replacement U bolts. Proper job, very helpful Brummy folk and they made a lovely job. I think it cost around £350.00 for the lot. All the best. Jerry

Thanks for posting a pic of your truck gives me some inspiration to keep plodding on :D its looking really good you must be pleased how its turned out.

I will try and find some replacement springs otherwise it'll be a trip to Jones springs funnily not far from the Wednesbury M6 junction where we met up a while back, they re tempered the front springs on my C15 and made a good job, any news on the aeroscreen brckts ? I must admit I hav'nt done anything with the wingnuts yet maybe next week I'll get my act together :nut:

Edited by rampant rivet

Have removed second spring and at least it look better than the first.

100_3298.jpg

I also removed the steering box ready to refurbish it and underneath found this patch of original paint, it doesn't show very well in the photo but its brown opposed to the green that was underneath the voltage regulator

100_3302.jpg

I now have an option on paint schemes :D there is more traces of original brown paint on the steering box cover as well.

100_3303.jpg