What book are you reading at the moment?

Great War truck

John Logie Baird: a life

by Antony Kamm & Malcolm Baird

ISBN 1 901663 76 0

A thick tome in comparison to the book (that IIRC is abt. 2 years newer) - Television and Me: The Memoirs of John Logie Baird

The last chapter from memory was very interesting , (I have 4 qty. JLB books)

You may ask , well that has sfa to do with WW1 , WW2 or MV's , - well there is the speculation that he was well into military Radar , & TV secret squirrel TV signal transmissions during WW2 until his death , also pre-WW2 research for the ministry(s) , he kept a lot very close , things just seem to dribble out a little over many years.

• 2 months later...

Mr Browns War, ( a diary of the second ww ) Edited by Helen D. Millgate.

a warden in Ipswich,member of the home guard and some time fire watcher and draughtsman at Revills in Ipswich, highly informative, covering 1939 through to 45.

True Stories from the SAS and Elite Forces. edited by Jon E. Lewis.

The Cockleshell Heroes. by C.E. Lucas Philips

We are at War - The diaries of five ordinary people in extraordinary times.

by Simon Garfield

Excerpts of 5 different peoples diaries taken from the Mass-Observation archives, the book covers the period from just before the outbreak of of WW2 until October 1940.

• 1 month later...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Valkyrie-Hitler-Philipp-von-Boeselager-ebook/dp/B002VBV1KY/ref=la_B0034Q4TV8_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401571787&sr=1-1

had this book on CD for my recent drive back from Central FL. Rather Germanic unemotional, but an excellent account of cavalry life on the eastern front, as well as the plot to assassinate hitler by one of the last living conspirators.

Recently found Tramp in Armour by Colin Forbes on the web as a PDF. I read this as a youngster many moons ago, and it is still a good novel about a Matilda cut off behind enemy lines in France 1940.

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL5444980M/Tramp_in_armor

Belton Cooper Death Traps.

While many armour historians dispute his conclusions, this is an excellent memoir of his time spent recovering damaged Sherman's in the ETO, plugging the holes, repairing them, hosing out the previous crews and getting them ready for the next shift. After that duty I believe I'd be rather critical of the equipment and the brass's decisions too!

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Traps-Survival-American-Division/dp/0891418148

Edited by Chopa

The much awaited book on the history the extraordinary & little known unit has just been published. Many have contributed of course but it was nice to get an acknowledgement.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91787[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91786[/ATTACH]

Clive rules...:-D

• 1 month later...

Finnaly got over the Luddite and now have Kindle, mainly beacuse it came on my new computer. So I went nosng about. One joy is that it has acaess to a number of the Guntenberg Press free books. I have found a free copy of a book that I've been looking for , but printed copies have been ^&8) expensive. The book is Scapegoats of Empire by Gerorge Witton. It is the story of Witton's court martial as part of the infamous Breacker Morant and the Bushveldt Carbiners. Reffered to in the press of Australia at the time as the English Drefus Affair.

The story will be well known to our Australian memebers and was the subject of the Fi;lm Breacker Morant staring Edward Woodward, and well worth watching!

The basis is that during the Second South African (Boer) war in the early part of the 20th century. The Bushveldt Carbiners (BVC) were an irregular force officered by Australina's. Though to complicate matters Morant was English but lived in Australia, he and two others were charged with murder for excuting Boer Prioners and a German Missonary.

The mater rested on wether Morant had been given legal orders from superior officers not to take prisoners. Morant under cros examination on orders for dealing with prisoners replied 'We applied rule 303'.

The subject is complex covering when orders are legal, what would now be called Post Traumatic Stress, and genal British conduct during the war. As an aside because of this Austrlia and New Zealand would not allow their nationals to be courtmartiled by the British in WW1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaker_Morant

• 1 month later...

Mailed Fist by John Foley

Very interesting book by a Churchill tank Commander.

On the front cover it states "Like an armoured battering ram they smashed through Hitlers Wehrmacht".

Which is rather eye catching ( I bet John Foley winced when he read that). A better description might be "We sat around in our tank for a while getting bored until we met a Panther which brewed us up and we all ran away and hid".

Still, a very good book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...