Sanky trailer damppener

Firstly, Happy New Year to All!

It is at this time of the year that Three Wise Men appear, and I would like to consult them before they disappear.

On filling up my hydraulic brake dampener oil leaked out from the end seals. Does anyone know:-

1. Where can I get new oil seal?

2. Where can I come by a C spanner to undo the end caps?

See pictures attached:-album.php?albumid=819&attachmentid=122006album.php?albumid=819&attachmentid=122005

attachment.php?attachmentid=122005&d=1483384097

attachment.php?attachmentid=122006&d=1483384100

If you are wondering about the jar of chocolate spread, I have a rodent problem in the garage, and I find using it, the mice queue up to put their heads in the trap.

Shane

Using Firefox I cannot see any evidence of the photos in the original post, I can see the link in post #4 but when I follow it I get an "invalid attachment" error.

Using Google Chrome I can see icons for two attachments in the original post, however I cannot see the actual attachments. Post #4 is the same as with Firefox.

So, I think that it is probably a browser issue!

The reason I ask which type is because I have the coupling off a hydraulic-damped 3/4 ton Sankey which has a failed damper which I need to replace. As far as I can determine, the damper is internal to the coupling and to change it you need to remove the lunette from the housing, and unscrew the end cap. Inside is, I think, a fairly standard hydraulic trailer coupling damper. I have two problems, one is that the end cap on mine is exceptionally reluctant to come off (although I am optimistic that the application of much heat may help), the other is that when I contacted Bradley to ask about replacement dampers I was confronted with complete bewilderment - they denied making the thing in the first place, despite a plate on the coupling stating that they did, its NSN, and all the other data. It seems that Bradley has recently been taken over (by, I think, Alko) and all the people who knew about Bradely stuff have left.

I was intrigued by your question about topping up the oil, because I don't this this this is possible. I think that there is an internal, self-contained, damper unit. Unless of course we're talking about completely different couplings (which I can't tell because i can't see the photos)!

I can't see photographs. I assume it must be after the Mk.1 WT (that did not have a spring hitch damper). So - that would make it a Bradley MH35 hitch (unless it has been changed) , look on Bradley Doublelock website or email them for any required info.

A Mlk.1 would have drum brakes and have a narrotrack style hitch on top of the A drawbar (Mk. 1 IIRC only made by Arrow Construction Equipment.

There were the odd Mk. upgredes. ISTR only the Mk. 3 had disc brakes

There were a few detail differences (but after Mk./ 1 all used the same hitch unit) - other manufacturers Reynolds Boughton , Universal Engineering (South Dorset Engineering) , Viking Trailers , I think Penman only did the more advanced 'Wolf' trailer

Amd. almost forgot , widetrack builders - also Paratow and King (rare)

Edited by ruxy
Amd.

I don't think it is. I've tried in two different versions of Firefox and in Edge and they're not visible. I don't have Internet Exploder so can't try it.

Viewing the page source code in Firefox shows the URLs of the images; however searching for them or attempting to go direct to the album brings up the message that the album is not valid or is not publicly accessible.

The album also doesn't show on bcoycqms' profile, although the coding seems to point to an HMVF album.

I wonder if the album they're in is set to private and Richard can see it because of his super mod status, or something like that?

I don't think it is. I've tried in two different versions of Firefox and in Edge and they're not visible. I don't have Internet Exploder so can't try it.

I wonder if the album they're in is set to private and Richard can see it because of his super mod status, or something like that?

Hi Sean,

When I mentioned Firefox it was because someone else said they were using it and could not see the pics, so I suggested Firefox could be the problem, I am on the bog standard IE, but as you say, could be my moderator status gives my a different viewing of the forum to members. Just saved the photos to my pc and posting them on again to see if that works.

damper 1.jpg

damper 2.jpg

Hi Sean,

When I mentioned Firefox it was because someone else said they were using it and could not see the pics, so I suggested Firefox could be the problem, I am on the bog standard IE.

Indeed, and that's an entirely reasonable assumption, no criticism intended - I just thought I'd dig a bit further.

It's not the first time I've noticed you could see images others can't so it may well be your super mod status.

Anyway, I at least can see them on your post.

Indeed, and that's an entirely reasonable assumption, no criticism intended - I just thought I'd dig a bit further.

It's not the first time I've noticed you could see images others can't so it may well be your super mod status.

Anyway, I at least can see them on your post.

I cut and pasted them a few days ago and that did not work, but downloaded them the put them back on, job done. Sorry it took a while ............. where are the other Mods???

Thanks for confirmation, Sean :thumbsup:

It is at this time of the year that Three Wise Men appear, and I would like to consult them before they disappear.

On filling up my hydraulic brake dampener oil leaked out from the end seals. Does anyone know:-

See pictures attached:-album.php?albumid=819&attachmentid=122006album.php?albumid=819&attachmentid=122005

attachment.php?attachmentid=122005&d=1483384097

attachment.php?attachmentid=122006&d=1483384100

If you are wondering about the jar of chocolate spread, I have a rodent problem in the garage, and I find using it, the mice queue up to put their heads in the trap.

Shane

-----------------

I can see the photographs now the moderator has sorted. The flange mount seems more like a oil unit to mount on rear of a 'narrow-track' hitch (however the size seems too large) , what type / capacity Sankey trailer have you ?

What is the plated data ?

• 6 years later...
On 1/2/2017 at 10:15 PM, bcoycqms said:

See pictures attached:-

Shane

Hi bud,

By any change do you have a manual for this type of hitch? I have the same problem with oil seals, but can't figure out how to dismantle the unit and how to remove it from hook bar 

Cheers nev