Sanky trailer damppener

Just for info since I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was looking for a damper for one of these, in the end I found that the cost of a replacement damper far exceeded the cost of a complete NOS coupling assembly, so the old coupling ended up in the scrap bin. It grieves me to throw out expensive parts which should be repairable, but the dampers are clearly made of unobtainium and priced accordingly. I also needed a new rubber gaiter and found that these were similarly hard to obtain.

Dismantling the coupling is very straightforward and really needs no instructions other than the video above. On my coupling however I found that the threaded end cap, which the video-maker unscrews with ease on his, was a total pain to remove and the only way I could shift it was to weld a two-foot long bar to it to use as a lever (I have good peg spanners but the thing was done up so stupid-tight that that a peg spanner simply wouldn't shift it). I don't know who had last assembled my coupling, but there clearly had more muscle than brain.