Austin k6

k6 austin

Hi All!!! New to the forum but old when it comes to MV's!!! How many out there of us have got A K6 (Austin)??? I'm restoring one and am lookin for help, advice and info and possibly detaining under the Mental Health Act!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim:)

Gents

Thankyou for that! I bought mine with a post war radio body on it but from what i can gather it was actually a bomb carrier! Came from Vass's and was converted post war to a fire appliance!! The intention is to go for either a flat bed or a wartimr radio body!!! I have a manual and handbook which i managed to find on fleabay!!! Have any of you replaced the leather gaiters on the rear axles?? The k is very sound the onlf prob is the windscreen frame is missing!!....the screens had been kept in with filler!!! I will post some pics soon and would love to see pics of yours!!!

Tim.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All!!! New to the forum but old when it comes to MV's!!! How many out there of us have got A K6 (Austin)??? I'm restoring one and am lookin for help, advice and info and possibly detaining under the Mental Health Act!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim:)

Hi Tim,

I dont own one, but I've always liked them. Maybe one day when the Chevy is finished.....

Hi Tim. I to am the proud owner of a K6 and have the same problems as you i.e wind screens I have tried for several months now to get replacment screens but to no avail, just got to keep trying must be some sitting out there somewhere. I would be interested to know how you get on with the leather gaters as could do with some too. My K6 was a generator wagon, Royal Navy prior to that it belonged to the R.A.F. It has a large step on the back, I don't think I will ever get a generator for it so I am going to turn it into a flatbed.

Regards Richard.

All this talk about problem windscreen frames reminds me of an article a few years ago about a chap who restored a Fordson 7V and had his remade in brass by Brasscraft, based near Guildford (Classic & Vintage Commercials, Jan 2004):

"You'd never find precision engineers like them. I gave them the remains of an original to use as a pattern. The results were unbelievable."

I assume they're these people: http://www.isurrey.co.uk/profile/464086/Farnham/Brasscraft-Windscreen-Frame-Manufacturers/

Perhaps you Austin owners should club together and get a batch made?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
All this talk about problem windscreen frames reminds me of an article a few years ago about a chap who restored a Fordson 7V and had his remade in brass by Brasscraft, based near Guildford (Classic & Vintage Commercials, Jan 2004):

"You'd never find precision engineers like them. I gave them the remains of an original to use as a pattern. The results were unbelievable."

I assume they're these people: http://www.isurrey.co.uk/profile/464086/Farnham/Brasscraft-Windscreen-Frame-Manufacturers/

Perhaps you Austin owners should club together and get a batch made?

I see the owner of the Austin K2 in this month's Classic Military Vehicle mag (March 2010) used this company for his frames...