Military Mini Moke

jerry.ice

I came across this pic on the internet of military spec mini moke complete with what looks like 2 outriggers for weapons. I can not find any info on such a vehicle anywhere. I know Australia used the Moke but this doesn't look like one of theirs. Hope some one has some info or comment on the practicality of it's use!

The picture is on this web site

www.austinmemories.com

The only title being army conversion!

I passed through Bulford Camp in September 1960 and saw a Moke in the MT Shed there. I had never seen anything quite like it before - regretably now, I did not speak to anybody about it or ask what it was or what it was doing there. The next time I saw one, it was the civilian version, after I had left the army in January 1961.

Tony

There was an Army show in Prospect Park, Reading, Berks in 1968, and I remember seeing a Mini Moke there, on display. Unfortunately I didn't photograph it at the time. I also remember they still used Morris Quads to tow 25pdrs for the mock battle.

Sorry shoul have put mor info in for the link. If you go to the moke/ant heading and scroll down to the last moke photo before the ant. Has any body any ieas on this machine?

Further up the page are some other interesting twin engined mokes + one in a net next to a Wessex (perhaps where dinky got their idea from)

Anybody got any idea what years they were actually in service and who used them? The one I saw in 1960 was with HQ 3 Div (at Bulford)

Tony

Tony,

I am not sure they did get accepted into British Army service, they may well have been on user trials with selected units. Perhaps CW knows more?

picture.php?albumid=99&pictureid=941

I found this other picture on the web showing this curious moke. This pic also has what look to be M38 jeeps in the background. The wheels on this Moke seem to be off a civilian moke. The Aussies put bigger wheels on their Mokes giving a more purposful appearance and better ground clearance.

picture.php?albumid=99&pictureid=942

I guess it would fall into the same class as the French Mehari or Royal Marines 2CV pick up trucks.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

the design prototype came out in 1959.They were trialled by the army but not a success in 1960.Originally called the buckboard.

The navy had a few.Twin engined model ,twini moke (donkey,nag)

We had dealings with the company called Runamoke who were in the next rd to us in Battersea.I think the 2cv was adopted instead,

There real success was when they went into civi production,Kings rd, Prisoner,then the lot went to Australia.best place for it.:-DWe built one that ran on gas for surveying the new water ring main that was being built whilst i was chief engineer at charlton depot ,Metropoliton Water Board.:cool2:

Looks like there was some interest from abroad, does the reg no mean anything to anyone?.

I would guess Tanzania,as the white man is driving maybe a demo.

andersoncub.jpg

Much rarer,The anderson Cub,started in 1985,Used metro engine.had a proper space frame chassis and superior in many ways,Still a flop though.

• 2 years later...

i believe they were made up until quite recently in either Spain or Portugal. I have always had a hankering after one Also heard a rumour around 2000 that some of the original tooling had been bought by a wealth business man/ farmer on the east coast of yorks from a company in Italy

Edited by cosrec

My guess is that the "Mystery Moke" equipped with outriggers belonged to some South American country, going by the uniforms and the soldiers sitting in it, perhaps Argentina.

I saw photo's of an American heavy motor home, built on a bus chassi, that had a Mini Moke parked in the luggage compartment under the floor of the bus. The Moke had the windshield folded and fitted neatly inside.

Goran N

Some Mokes are available in the Caribbean and South of France as hire cars. Weren't they also used in the TV Series "The Prisoner" ?

Yes , they had multicoloured roofs rather in the style of deckchairs ! They featured as The Village taxi's . If I can find my Six of One stuff I might have some more details .