Mobile Project Vehicles

Only problem there is you still need to get a HGV license. Medical rules for these are all geared up towards the vocational license, there is no provision for a non-vocational limited mileage type of license.....
Which i why i have spent a considerable amount of money on getting my license last year and will finish off getting my C+e this year. I would have loved to spend the cash on a big green truck rather than a few letters on my driving license but now i can go and drive what i like without worry about police or Vosa hiding behind the next hedge. I understand you have medical issues which personally prevent you holding the licence, but how long would the topic be on getting around the loop holes if there was a non-vocational option but you wanted to help a mate move something on your truck? Edited by Poptopshed

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All interesting stuff. The arguments presented simply illustrate how difficult it must be for the authorities to interpret what should, and should not be, permitted. Would you want that job? :sweat:

On HGV Licences - the law is changing this year (coutessey of a European Directive!):

Anyone obtaining a C1, C1+E, C or C+E licence after 10th Seprember 2009 will also have to obtain a CPC (certificate of professional competence) as part of their HGV licence acquistion training.

The idea is that HGV drivers using their licence professionally will need to maintain this qualification by undertaking a specified amount of continuous training (5 full days or 35 hours in every 5 year period - first period 10.09.09 to 10.09.14).

Note that this qualification only needs to be maintained by drivers driving professionally.

So if you drive a HGV for private use - social domestic and pleasure - you will be exempt from the CPC requirement.

But it looks like you will not be able to obtain the HGV licence without getting the CPC.

Existing professional drivers don't panic - grandfather rights (only for the first 5 year period to Sept. 2014) apply for anyone holding a HGV before 10th September, and there are plenty of exemptions for circumstances other then the usual hire and reward type of haulage.

So - if you are thinking of getting an HGV and might want to use it at any stage professionally (or even if you don't intend to use it profesionally), you may want to get it before September to avoid further expense of the CPC (at least for 5 years) :coffee:

E&OE :)

Edited by N.O.S.

All interesting stuff. The arguments presented simply illustrate how difficult it must be for the authorities to interpret what should, and should not be, permitted. Would you want that job? :sweat:

On HGV Licences - the law is changing this year (coutessey of a European Directive!):

Anyone obtaining a C1, C1+E, C or C+E licence after 10th Seprember 2009 will also have to obtain a CPC (certificate of professional competence) as part of their HGV licence acquistion training.

The idea is that HGV drivers using their licence professionally will need to maintain this qualification by undertaking a specified amount of continuous training (5 full days or 35 hours in every 5 year period - first period 10.09.09 to 10.09.14).

Note that this qualification only needs to be maintained by drivers driving professionally.

So if you drive a HGV for private use - social domestic and pleasure - you will be exempt from the CPC requirement.

But it looks like you will not be able to obtain the HGV licence without getting the CPC.

Existing professional drivers don't panic - grandfather rights (only for the first 5 year period to Sept. 2014) apply for anyone holding a HGV before 10th September, and there are plenty of exemptions for circumstances other then the usual hire and reward type of haulage.

So - if you are thinking of getting an HGV and might want to use it at any stage professionally, you may want to get it before September to avoid further expense of the CPC (at least for 5 years) :coffee:

E&OE :)

All these laws...................no wonder it makes people drive illegally (or maybe with exemptions) :???

Which i why i have spent a considerable amount of money on getting my license last year and will finish off getting my C+e this year. I would have loved to spend the cash on a big green truck rather than a few letters on my driving license but now i can go and drive what i like without worry about police or Vosa hiding behind the next hedge. I understand you have medical issues which personally prevent you holding the licence, but how long would the topic be on getting around the loop holes if there was a non-vocational option but you wanted to help a mate move something on your truck?

Real bummer from my point of view is I actually HAD the licenses! :-(

No idea what others would say - but for me a restored/preserved MV is just that - not a "Pantechnicon, Free, Mates removals for the use of"!!

Incidentally - you could have saved the money and played with Green Machines simply by joining the TA - thats how I did it!! Got all three licenses AND the joy of playing with things like Militants, RL's, MK's, Antars and Scammell Crusaders!! Oh - and they paid me to do it too - just how good does it get!!!!

All these laws...................no wonder it makes people drive illegally (or maybe with exemptions) :???

These waste of space only cover profesional drivers. If driving is not the 'main ocupation' or for testing and mainteance, you don't need it.

I'm going to push this MPV exemption to the limits. So technically, if you went out and bought a period tank + tank transporter unit... so long as you were off to/returning from a show complete with your bull5h17 boards, and the whole rig up is the exhibit... :drive:You could drive on a cat B licence?!?:stop:

But probably not. I don't believe for one minute the authorities would wear that one. They would surely argue it was an HGV with some display boards stuck on it.

Incidentally, you can run a Diamond T with Rogers trailer with no test, free tax and on a cat. B licence provided it is unladen.

You can put a Sherman on it with no test, free tax but you need a LGV licence and you are supposed to run under STGO.

But that is another discussion/argument!

If driving is not the 'main occupation' or for testing and mainteance, you don't need it.

I'm not so sure, Tony.

It seems to suggest that if you have a HGV (but no CPC) for your own private purposes, and then help someone out one day by delivering the odd commercial load (i.e. driving 'professionally, but not the not main occupation), you would be at fault for not having a driver's CPC.

You might then get 5 years in clink, like the local guy who just got released after 24 hours, having been given a 5 year sentence for posessing a firearm and ammunition (it had been in his 'stored' posessions since being brought back from USA 12 years previously). He's been released on a technicality.

Why did he get 5 years? A good fine and a knuckle wrap maybe. It's all going :banana:

Why did he get 5 years?

Because he deserved it... hide away unlicensed guns/ammo expect to pay the price.. same if you try & get around the TRA/Licensing & fall foul of the law...

Edited by Marmite!!

Because he deserved it... hide away unlicensed guns/ammo expect to pay the price..

Unless you're a crook and actually try and shoot some one with an unlicensed firearm and ammunition - then you only get a couple of years...

I agree with N.O.S. it's all going :banana::banana:

In general I would wholeheartedly agree with you on that assessment of the forum Lee. As an observer, but non contributor, to this debate I can easily see why John has got his hair off based on some of the replies. Bit surprised he didn't flip a bit sooner :)

I'll subscribe to that view too.

An interesting point - I've just been trying to PM Blackpowder44 but there does not seem to be any provision to do so. What's going on? :confused:

So I'll say it here:

I don't feel he has been treated too well. I suspect that any out-of-order responses from him have been largely attributable to a bit of winding up and cheap point-scoring, and a desire to lure him into a trap.

I also suspect a lot of others feel the same. For example, I wish my occasional bo!?ickings from Mrs N.O.S. were as pleasant as the one BP44 got from Jack :-D

Let us have a bit more rational debate (and by all means constructive criticism when appropriate) and a bit less of the sad put-down and cheap point scoring efforts.

The original point which started this thread off was perfectly reasonable and might well be most appropriate for certain vehicles/displays and the restrictions might be quite acceptable to some owners.

Sadly the thread has ended up being an example of all that the Forum tries so hard not to be. And I don't think BP44 is to blame.

I hope we have not put John off making further contributions to the forum (once he has finished peeling all those potatoes :shocked:).

Anyone else care to put their head in the breech?

If you care to re-read the posts you will find that it was the way BP was addressing other members that we asked him to tone down... we were not moderating the subject in any way..

Anyone else care to put their head in the breech?

Any members who want to discuss this further please take it to PM with the admin...

I've just been trying to PM Blackpowder44 but there does not seem to be any provision to do so. What's going on? :confused:

Checked his settings & he is receiving PM's from Admin & contacts

Edited by Marmite!!

I'm going to push this MPV exemption to the limits. So technically, if you went out and bought a period tank + tank transporter unit... so long as you were off to/returning from a show complete with your bull5h17 boards, and the whole rig up is the exhibit... :drive:You could drive on a cat B licence?!?:stop:

Possibly yes, but would have had to have held B licence for two years. If B licence held for less than two years, then definitely no, the driver cannot drive any MPV.

I say possibly yes, because it all depends whether that rig can be viewed as an MPV. I cannot say definitely yes or no.

If the rig is legally an MPV a car driver , who has held a B Licence for two years, can drive it, or any other MPV.

It is not a situation where a car driver can drive small MPV, but not big, heavy articulaued MPV's. A suitably experienced (2 years) driver can drive any MPV.

It all hangs on whether a military vehicle, going to a show, matches the crieria, for an MPV.

Edited by antarmike

Reading through the posts again, it seems to me that Blackpowder44 took offence at any contrary view to his. It is obvious from his first post that he was talking about a vehicle transporter with an MV on being considered an MPV due to it's load. This is simply not so but he wouldn't accept that and I feel his responses were bordering on abusive.

Hey you might well be right - each time I look at it I see a different view, and it's too long to wade through again. One of those subjective things. Perhaps I've lost my sense of humour/perspective.

One example of a carrying vehicle which might fit the criteria is a conversion of a vintage Albion(?) coach chassis which was cleverly adapted with a turntable body to transport a traction engine - here the carrying vehicle is designed to convey a specific load only, so if the load complies with MPV then the transporter might too?

Anyway, it's all a bit academic. Someone chuck me a few spuds on your way to the bar :yay:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Blimey! this has gone on longer than come dancing!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:testing,testing am i back on air.

Folks - John is alive and well...we had a good chat on the phone yesterday for about an hour :sweat:and we did put the world to rights...

- said I would introduce him to CW.:coffee:

What do you do to people you don't like? :-D

(I've guesed it! Introduce 'em to me!)

I think all of this illustrates how easy it is to get the wrong impression over a forum.

Think Adrian has nailed it. It is a hard balance to get right as everyone process's the information differently. That is why the use of smilies is so important as it adds or takes away tension, pressure, emotions etc etc.

This is why perhaps some mods get a lot of stick as they have to do the best they can to make sure that everything flows. It isn't an easy job and it isn't for the faint hearted so credit where credit due. They may not always get it right.

A great and very interesting thread and much learnt.

:iloveyou: all.